Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help with showing 3D objects...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I need some help displaying 3d objects. When I create an object using anim8or, then export as a .3ds object, and convert using conv3ds.exe, it gives me a .x file. However, when I load the x file, and try to display it, it doesn't seem to react to light properly. For example, if i "set object light" on, and "set object ambient" on, I get a gray blur. If I turn light off - white blur. If I turn ambient off - black blur. And no matter what I do, set specular doesn't work w/ my models. Works fine with, for example, the Media .x files provided w/ DarkBasicPro.

Any ideas why my models don't react to lighting properly?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 14:35
Is the object UV mapped? Try gettings normals data as well.

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
We need a texture artist!
If your interested email me - Johnrocs@aol.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 15:48
Quote: "Try gettings normals data as well"

What would you use this for? I've seen the option to export it from graphic apps, but have no idea why you would do it.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 20:30 Edited at: 6th Oct 2003 20:33
This is from a POVray website:

Quote: "Surface normals are vectors that start from the surface of the object and (usually) point out. Although a surface virtually has infinite surface normals, 3D programs only take care of some of them. When the renderer examine the surface of the object to choose colors, it evaluate for every point the surface normal direction and it renders the surface in that point as it is normal to the vector. From here the name of these vectors. By perturbating the surface normal's directions we can fake surface appearance that is different from the "real" surface shape. For example suppose to want to render a golf ball. It is possible to model it using CSG but it's really a tricky and boring process. If we perturbate the surface normals in order to obtain the characteristic holes on the surface, we can obtain near the same appearance with less work and maintaining the model much simpler.
Why I wrote "near the same"? Since the model shape remain unchanged using surface normal perturbation, the protuberances and the depressions on the surface obtained this way are faked and can be revealed by viewing the object boundaries. The borders will not present any height modification. Does follows that this technique provides good results as long as the deformations introduced are limited in the height amount"

You need these to ensure that the way that light falls on an object is correct.

Veneticus
Years of Service
User Offline
Any idea on how I can set anim8or to export normals data? It doesn't appear to do so. There is a "Debug/Output Normals" menu selection, but it sure doesn't appear to do anything - when I export the object, the filesize is the same.

Alternatively, do you know of any products that allow me to export objects (or save directly to 3ds/x) that save normals? That don't cost much/anything (I'm poor )?

And thanks for the assistance, too.
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 02:49
I don't use Anim8or however you should get yourself Ultimate Unwrap 3D which will allow you to convert to X and save normal data (and do a lot of things besides) and importantly is very cheap.
I think its at www.unwrap3d.com

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 02:50
That said I'm sure there must be a way to export normal data from Anim8or.

Veneticus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 05:50 Edited at: 7th Oct 2003 05:51
GC:

I bow to your excellent game-development greatness. I found a copy of LithUnwrap v1.3 - when I open the anim8or 3ds models in it, and then save back out as a .x model - voila, normals! I get light reflections!

Thanks, I owe you one.

DocSee

[edit] kudos to RPGamer as well for id'ing the normals issue - thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:05:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:05:10