Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Creating Standalone Games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have created a neat little side scroller game, and I want my friends to be able to run it without Visual c++ expression edition. How do I create a version of my game that can run without a compiler?
thanks

herp derp
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 00:33 Edited at: 17th Dec 2010 00:33
Set your build mode to "RELEASE" (should be "DEBUG" by default) and compile. Then you will find the .exe file in a folder named "Release" in your projects directory. Remember to copy it to your projects base directory so it will find your media.

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 01:31
Hey while were are on this topic of Standalone executables, how would one go about putting all of their game media into one .exe? The only idea I have is putting all of the stuff into memblocks, and then loading them when necessary, but I think that would create some bulk.

I also remember onetime seeing a person who actually shoved it into a .dll that had to be in the same folder as the .exe. How would one go about to do this?

http://ref.darkgdk.us/ <- Online DarkGDK Refernece. More content coming soon.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
You can add all your media within the VC++ IDE. This will be compiled along with the exe.

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 21:02 Edited at: 17th Dec 2010 21:47
Quote: "I want my friends to be able to run it "

Remember that you have to install the appropriate version of the DirectX runtime and also the appropriate version of the Visual Studio redistributable on your friend's computer. "Appropriate version" means the one that you used to compile your program.

Quote: "You can add all your media within the VC++ IDE. This will be compiled along with the exe."

EDIT: I'm afraid it's not quite that simple. The "add as resource" command is available only in the VS professional edition, so for Express an external resource editor is needed. And then how do you make the resources loadable by Dark GDK? One tricky solution I have seen posted earlier for images, but how do you make it work for an animated model, for example? If you know a simple way for integrating media then please explain.

To put all your media into one file, TGC advertises the "smart packer" program. It creates a virtual directory system within one file and packages the media inside.
Superdeath360
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much, Pauli. Your instructions worked perfectly

herp derp

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:08:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:08:52