Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Don't you just hate professional eBayers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 19:58
I was top bidder a week or so ago for this bundle:

DB Pro
Dark Matter
Games Programming book
DB archive

Someone chipped in 40 seconds before the end of the auction and took it away from me.

Now he's split it up and is selling it off piece by piece.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 20:23
Quote: "Someone chipped in 40 seconds before the end of the auction and took it away from me. "

I'm not a professional eBayer, though I've been known to chip in 40 secodns from the end (I thought it'd be obvious: don't show any interest then at the last minute blow them all away!)

Quote: "Now he's split it up and is selling it off piece by piece. "

lol

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 21:49
Gotta agree with David here.. I'm bidding on a few items I'll be hounding until the final seconds

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 21:57
I keep track of my products that I'm bidding for, i mean if I'm online, then i go straight to ebay and keep it on that page.

bet you feel well bad now

Life is just a dream - you are not really alive, so get a gun and start killing evil people.
Rikku of final fantasy 10 and 10.2 is well fit/cool
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 22:02
Last second bidding is the way to go matey.

[url][/url]
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 22:31
ya, bidding early only inflates the prices. I don't buy much stuff but when I need money I sell old stuff of mine.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 22:53
I learned last second bidding when I was a little kid playing Dinopark Tycoon

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 22:58
LOL yes but last second bidding is a risk, they may have a higher value when you do bid like:
The current bid is $40

then you place a last second bid for $50

but the other person may have a higher value of a second bid of $51

See what i mean, it's risky

Life is just a dream - you are not really alive, so get a gun and start killing evil people.
Rikku of final fantasy 10 and 10.2 is well fit/cool
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 23:09
2 mins from the end is a good bet, you can see what competition there is by the responses.

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Oct 2003 23:43
hahaha you got conned. i would of done the same if there was money to be made from each of them. with buy it now auctions you dont have to wait until the auction ends, you just click the button and pay for it there and then. with auction listings you wait until 2mins before the end before you place any bids. i buy and sell on ebay everyday, i've almost seen everything that can happen.

i was tempted to buy that dbpro set. but i didnt bother. the other week i brought dbc out of a shop and sold it for double it's price!

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 02:27 Edited at: 7th Oct 2003 02:38
You missed my point...
I always bid at the end, this guy placed 1 bid in the last minute.

The annoying bit is the fact that he didn't want it, he's selling it straight on.

Anyway, I ended up winning, got it for half the price he paid in the end on Amazon Marketplace

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 02:53
Thats not as bad as what happened to me. There was something I really really wanted. So I got out an atomic clock, and every 10 seconds, I refreshed. It was lightning fast on my cable modem. I was planning on entering my bid 10 seconds before. At 15 seconds I clicked place bid, and my internet connection HUNG UP. It took like 30 seconds just to get to the last page. And you know what REALLY annoyed me? No one else bidded. That means I could have had an extra few seconds to spare!!!! ARGGG.. It makes me SO MAD!!!

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 03:19
yeah that happened to me before, i got a 404 when i almost bidded for something.

there's a program floating around on ebay called bidsniper. you tell how much on what product and it automatically bids for you when the auction closes. well worth the money if you buy lots of items off ebay.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 03:23
I bought one thing from ebay. And noone else bidded on it

Star Fox 64

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 05:09
i made an offer to the guy i got hero quest off to take it off his hands for 35 and i'd go to his house and pick it up. Im still the highest bidder on the auction. i set my bid on 35. but if someone goes higher he stillhas a copy he will sell. though ebay may poo poo the idea, always ask the seller if they want to sell off ebay for a decent price, or ask them if they have an extra copy they are willing to sell straight off for said price. I got lucky cause the guy had an extra copy and the starting bid was $15, so i said 35 and i'll take it yesterday. I went to his mums house to get it and she was an old lady .

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 12:00
Quote: "I went to his mums house to get it and she was an old lady."

LMAO - why am I imagining Comic book Guy from The Simpsons, living in his moms basement with hundreds of dusty old board games and comics and copies of DBPro .

I've never bought anything from Ebay, I've been to several real-life auctions and got some bargains, like a 'Dual' turntable worth about £120, I got it for £3 - the needle alone is worth about £30!. Or a massive Jamo speaker for £5.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 12:06
ebayers suck usually. They sit there and sit there. I hate them because they ruined alot of online games.

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 13:12
hero quest??? I used to love that game.

the artist formally known as darkfluff
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 13:21
the ebayers i hate are the ones who buy your stuff and dont even pay/contact you.

i've had it almost 10 times in 3months it's getting annoying.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:02
I hate it when they don't send you what you paid for.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 22:00
'I hate it when they don't send you what you paid for.'

Report it to Ebay. They get their account terminated and sometimes (if you paid through an affiliate, Paypal for example I think) you'll get your money back too.

Diablo II's economy has been utterly trashed by online shopping, but there are loads of sites which do that exclusively, it's not just Ebay. That's why Ladder Play in 1.10 will be so cool

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 02:23
mouse no they dont.

in the last 7 days i've had 1 negative feedback and 1 netural all because they are so quick leaving feedback than actually emailing to seller about it.

some people dont have the common sense on ebay, when you pay for a item, what do you do, go to a checkout! some dont even do that and dont bother emailing you, then they leave nasty comments on your feedback profile. annoying since i had a 100% positive feedback when i tipped 80 feedback rating. now it's 2bad/1netural/115positive.

mouse the only way i claim back the listing fee costs on a non paying bidder is to say "we agreed not the sell the item".

ebay and paypal support is just a bunch of robots. i've never had a human response from paypal in the 2 years i've been doing it and ebay!

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 06:25
Oh I report them, but that doesn't get my money back, I use money orders.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:45:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:45:26