Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Direct X and what animations it can and can't use.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello I am using a 3D program. Its in a new beta stage. Well I want to know does Direct X Support Key shape Animations? Does it support color animation? Really it would be nice to have a list of what it supports and what it doesn't. I would think some manual or something would have that. Please if anyone can help I would be much appreciated. Thanks

The quality of what a man gives without seeking anything in return shows his integrity.
Dragon Tiger Wolf Bald Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Please if anyone looking at this knows the answers or even thinks they do please respond.

The quality of what a man gives without seeking anything in return shows his integrity.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 01:43
With Dark GDK it handles various 3d file formats and animations. Dark GDK is built on top of Direct X. The native format for direct X is a .x file I assume, which a program like Blender exports. When you're looking at other file formats like .mdl, .map, .max, etc you will have to convert them to .x or .dbo to work with GDK. Keyframing and animation is all dependant on what modelling program you use too. .x files handle animations fine.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Years of Service
User Offline
First off thanks for the response. Second.I ask because the guy who programed the .X exporter says Direct X Does Not Support Key Shape Animation or Color animation. If you know it does please can your write something that will show him that it does so he will put it in or if you know of a link or a document that states that it does from Microsoft Please and thank you.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 09:18
Direct x format for the purposes of FPSC can only handle:

Bone animation with skinned meshes

Objects with position, rotation, scale keyframes

I have gotten animation link constraint to work
I have tried lookat constraint for moving eyes on a character and that failed.

All textures have to be bit mapped and only 1 UV channel seams to function.

No morphing, No proceedural anything.

Hope this helps

Nothing but coffee in my veins
Years of Service
User Offline
Pirate Myke Yes that definitely helps. Thanks. Though now its making me think about using OpenGL. Any way thanks WLGfx as well all the info given has been very helpful. Thanks again Pirate Myke and WLGfx

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2010 03:27
You are welcome

Nothing but coffee in my veins
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2010 23:23
Hey no probs dragon. Being only just past basic myself in modelling and animation in 3d (but picking it up fast). I've learnt a lot about level of detail and keyframing. Cutting down the filesize of the animation is essential to loading speed and running speed. Although you can optimise your code when compiled you can still do a lot to your models and animations all to increase speed.

Warning! May contain Nuts!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-28 01:27:41
Your offset time is: 2024-06-28 01:27:41