Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Possible game complexity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am purchasing Darkbasic in around a months time. I would like to create a game that I once had on the Commodore 64 called autoduel where you drove around in a armoured car with weapons destroying other cars, trading between town etc.

I was wondering how complex could I make this game. A couple of questions I have is.

In the original you could have armour on every side of your car even underneath and depending on where you got hit the armour was deleted from that area, Is this type of thing possible to program?

Is it possible to have commodities were the prices fluctuate depending on certain factors such as supply and demand, overselling etc?

As you can see i am a absolute beginner, i dont want to now the code for this just whether it can be done or not.

Regards

David
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 14:03
Yes it's possible...but you need to learn the basics before attempting anything on that scale. You're looking at 6 to 12 months before you start on your project, possibly longer if you've never programmed before.

Don't be put off, though, you will learn plenty and hopefully have fun along the way

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
skovron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As you can see i am a absolute beginner, i dont want to now the code for this just whether it can be done or not.
"

I agree with BatVink that you shouldn start with such a "big" project
If your absolutele beginner to DarkBasic then it'll take some time before you'll be able to code your game, but if your absolute beginner to programming it'll take much, much more time.
Anyway dont worry my advice is to start with some simple stuff and then try to put it together
y!Ck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 02:28
i'd say the same because i spend 3 months myself learning the language and i was formiliar with an old basic called msx basic so just start of with boulding basic things like a simple walk around game or something i started with making a cube turn with the up/left/right/down key myself. and thats the simplest i could think of so just do what Skovron and Batvink said.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 03:32
TheSimpleRule

First you learn to program <or> First you learn to dbp program
Then you learn to GAME program

EndTheSimpleRule

-RUST-
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 03:38
I agree with everything that's been said but don't lose sight of what it is you want to achive as that is your main motivation - it sounds like a great little game you have "in your head".

I'd recommend you try to break down your goal into smaller, more achievable objectives, for example:

Objective 1: Load in .x model of truck and manipulate with user input
Objective 2: fine tune your input routine to get something that resembles vehicle control
Objective 3: Get your vehicle "driving" on a matrix (see the Tank Demo for how to habdle the roll, yaw over the hills)..

and so on...then you get to build up the skills you'll need so you can put it all together into your game.

Good luck!

"My ignorance amuses me..."
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 09:40
there was an author many years ago called steve jackson from the united kingdom who wrote a paper rpg called car wars. It smells exactly like this scenario and may yield great ideas when u need to craft the aspects of the game at hand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 03:34:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 03:34:32