Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / HL2 delayed until April 2004 :(

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 17:20
http://www.mcvuk.com/html/news/story.jsp?newsId=1111416

According to Reuters, the theft of the game’s source code had meant that developer Valve will now need to rewrite a significant chunk of one of the most anticipated PC games this year. It was revealed last week that a hacker had broken into an email from Valve’s Gabe Newell and planted a spying program.

Quoting a report by today’s issue of Les Echos, Reuters revealed that VU Games’ president of international operations Christophe Ramboz has now admitted the delay to the game’s release. "A third of the code has been stolen," he said. "It’s serious because it forces us to delay the launch of the game by at least four months, that is to April 2004. Just the time to rewrite parts of the game."

VU Games’ UK office would not comment on the report.

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 17:28
i see, isnt thi salready said in the other thread, the hl2 source code leak? wow, i've finally turned into a full fledged forumer, i already pointed out to someone that their post had already been posted im so happy.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 19:19
It hadn't at the time I posted it, no.

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 19:26
Oh dear... from September, to the holidays, to April.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 19:44
that would of been a boost to the gaming industry's sales for this year. but oh well, it'll boost next year's figures.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 22:22
Good news for Bungie & Gearbox then

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 00:48
Yea, too bad this had to happen.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 03:38
is it me or does the fact that the code was able to be stolen via a trojan really make this *sshole/company seem really really lame? I love HL and TFC, and have been waitng for tfc2 forever - this is plain ridiculous!!

-RUST-
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 04:02
Defending against a trojan custom designed to bypass your specific security measures is virtually impossible unless you know it's coming...

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 05:35
Quote: "I love HL and TFC, and have been waitng for tfc2 forever "

i gave up on TF2 after it had slipped 2years, wonder if anyone here knows just how long TF2 has actually been in development
just ridiculous if you ask me. Thought 5years for Daikatana was bad.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 08:47
'wonder if anyone here knows just how long TF2 has actually been in development'

*raises hand*

It's pretty amusing to go the official site and see the little random tidbits of information that date from 2 years old on down ...

As long as there isn't a bulletin board somewhere in HL2 with a sign on it reading 'Gabe Newell's about to make you his...', I won't mind if it takes 50 years

A very nice %it, indeed.
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 09:02
Now that's just stupid, if you think about the consumers/players here. If they are just rewriting the code to fix some netplay stuff to prevent hacks and cheats, I'm gonna get really angry. I couldn't care less about the multiplayer. Just want to get to play the single player version. Why couldn't they release singleplayer only version and work on the net stuff later.

They can't be just rewriting the code to protect other parts of project, like havok. Come on, it has already been leaked, how would you go fix that now?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 09:15
'I couldn't care less about the multiplayer'

Unfortunatly (while I agree with you), easily 65% of their user base, prolly more, have their primary intrests rooted in the game's multiplayer aspects and modding capabilities. If the net code is out there, uber-hacks could be developed in no time that would work for HL2 and all its mods-- imagine MapHack for Diablo 2 on steroids... I think fixing the netplay is a pretty important thing for them to do in this situation.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 10:02
lol TF2 has been in development nearly as long as that stupid site has been up, i mean alright find a design you like and stick to it - but thats ridiculous, they barely even air the products library... and thier coverage of thier own products is a pure joke.

I mean for a company thats built its fortune and fanbase on the internet based game players, and Modification multiplayer games (CS and DoD) you would think they'd give us online users far more information.
Hell you wouldn't even know that HL2 was even in development visiting thier site.

-- -- --

i've had a look at the SDK now, interesting - i now know who has been bulling and who hasn't been. Certainly puts my mind well at ease
As all i wanted it for was tools, hopefully can deliver some now pending the approval of valve ofcourse.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 10:39
ouch. VUs realized profits for 2003 are slipping away alot. I just hope 2004 goes better. HL2, lords 3... At least they still have nascar and warcraft games to make some big bucks. Still HL2 is BIG.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 10:47
Quote: "Thought 5years for Daikatana was bad."

Ha! What about Battle Cruiser 3000? That was almost 8 years. And Duke Nukem Forever? Hell, they've released 2 trailers years ago and started again from scratch, 99% of the population don't care if it will be released anymore.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 10:47
doesn't this mean that the ATI deal isn't gonna work out very well. They'll probably have Radeon 9900 XT or something when HL2 is out...

now what if this was just a conspiracy to cover up the delay of HL2?

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 15:32
it would of been a hard choice to make. but delaying it is the best way. i would of done the same thing if i knew source was out on the net and would hamper sales and the warez scene will be booming if the game was released quickly.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 15:59
"now what if this was just a conspiracy to cover up the delay of HL2? "

I was thinking the same thing

"That's not a bug, it's a feature!"
"Variables won't, constants aren't."
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 16:26
OK I am dense. Why is there a delay if some stole your code? (No back up?)
Darksyde
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 16:47
its not that they dont have a copy themselves, lol. its so they can alter it enough so that it wont be subject to tons of hacks on the multiplayer etc

Athlon 2200 XP, 512MB RAM, Geforce 4 128MB
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 17:47
tfc2 wait has been almost 4 years now, me thinks. The only thing the did ahead of the version 2 release was re-release v1 as v1.5 and incorporate the built in voice chat - prior to that I was running Roger Wilco in the background while playing tfc. At this point I don't really care if 2 comes out as I have all but stopped playing the original version.

-RUST-
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 18:08
Got it Darksyde, thanks
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 21:13
Quote: "What about Battle Cruiser 3000? That was almost 8 years."

depends where you lived i guess... as it was released when it was suppose to in the UK, however only through the games mags as a free game - was dubbed a demo but was the full copy that was shareware, with very little cut out.

Quote: "tfc2 wait has been almost 4 years now, me thinks."

first new of TF2 was October 1998 when HL 1.0.0.6 w/TFC was released.

lets all do the math shall we 2003-1998 =
it is getting totally ridiculous. Although the original HL slipped, they weren't stupid enough to create a media frenzy - it was just the media that were desperately trying to get news all the time.

Team Fortress Classic isn't anything like Team Fortress niether, although it is a nice game anyone who played the Quake original can testiment that the HL one just isn't frantic enough. The whole thing about the original wasn't an accurate wartime recreation like MOHAA or something - it was just the original class system game, and to be honest the classes weren't greatly important because you didn't live long enough to do anything with it.
But the fact that you had different specs based on your class was what the appeal was

Quote: "OK I am dense. Why is there a delay if some stole your code? (No back up?) "

what is floating around appears to be an old beta, source w/no media ... the point about the source although there are a few of us who don't care about hacking and are going to use the released source to get some 3rd party tools out so that the Mod development community doesn't have to wait the next 6months to start development, there are others out to create new game hacks like AimBot and such which just ruins the multiplayer experience for everyone involved but the smartass kids who use it.

Original hacks like that actually put me off even wanting to play online, personally i think its sad about what alot of the hacker kiddies do. Ho hum eh

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 21:24
There's a mod for Unreal Tournament called Unreal Fortress, which I personally enjoyed more than any of the other 'fortress' games/mods... too bad nobody every plays it online, period, and obviously something like that CANNOT be played single player . It was a damn good mod, too... shame...

A very nice %it, indeed.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 23:47 Edited at: 9th Oct 2003 23:38

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 01:14
i'm not talking about Team Fortress Classic, i was talking about Team Fortess for Quake... they're EXTREMELY different beasties.

wish you ppl would actually read what is written once in a while

MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 15:58 Edited at: 10th Oct 2003 16:01
A CNN article on the hack at Valve Software for those who haven't read it :-
http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/07/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 16:41
there is a more interesting report on gamespy with the other pro's making comments
its a bloody good read too

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 14:24 Edited at: 11th Oct 2003 14:24
Quote: "[quote]What about Battle Cruiser 3000? That was almost 8 years."

depends where you lived i guess... as it was released when it was suppose to in the UK, however only through the games mags as a free game - was dubbed a demo but was the full copy that was shareware, with very little cut out.[/quote]

There's also the fact that it was released before it was completed. There were so many bugs and promised features missing that it was a complete disgrace. Which is one of the reasons why you don't rush to meet a deadline.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 15:34
i guess so... didn't seem grandly different from the origial amiga/atari versions to me, had very limited appeal cause the graphics seemed sluggish yet not even changed slightly.

i like retro as much as the next guy but they did take the piss - should checkout the latest devs on planethalf-life there is a link to planetfandango ... cracked me up
probably more so cause that cheez-it incident was similar to something that happened when i was over at Core, can still picture Andy standing there with his arms crossed with an emtpy packet of monster munch on the table lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:36:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:36:14