Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / splitting mesh's?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2011 04:45 Edited at: 1st Jan 2011 22:12
Hey I wonder if it is possible to

create a mesh from object then

split the mesh in half and then

create face's to fill the holes where it was split.

I would use this to create an effect that would be like the object is breaking apart in an explosion, or perhaps something getting cut in half with a katana,.

Also as a sub-question in a previous post I was wondering if specified faces of an object could be colored or re-textured separately from the rest of the object.

[edit] Wow i love the non-epic replies. Maybe neither of these things are even possable using DarkGDK() or any plugins for it.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not exactly what you asked, but here's a code to "explode" an object into little pieces. First the DBP version is posted but further down, Morcilla made a GDK conversion. The effect is quite spectacular.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=173904&b=6

I don't have much idea for a split into two halves, maybe constructing the object out of two limbs and then separate the limbs, but that requires change on the model in advance. Or, the later Dark GDK versions have some CSG functions in their header files (CSG union, difference, intersection, clip). I've never tried them and they are not documented either, but maybe these could also be used to change the shape of a mesh.
Benjames8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 23:13 Edited at: 5th Jan 2011 08:27
SuX, mkay. What about creating a mesh from an object then, like the exploding demo, convert to memblocks {im clueless here btw} then somehow cut it in half, Then add the fill faces?

We should try to get the Freaking moderators to post documentation for un-documented freaking functions.

Right

[edit] seemingly the explosion example can explode object converted into mesh, as long as they are small enough.

maybe it can be split at an angle.

[Second Edit] I looked into converting objects into mesh then vertexdata then back to objects to like edit them. Now I am looking at the function
" void dbPeformCSGIntersectionOnVertexData ( int iBrushMeshID ); "
Could this split the mesh???
Benjames8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 21:54
WTF is iBrushMeshID?

Could the definition's please be posted, and if they are can I get a link???

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:11:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:11:40