Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Ground Clutter / Flora how is it done???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2011 18:10
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do flora or ground clutter in my game. I have a huge terrain with terrain blocks that are loaded as you move throughout the terrain and I need to be able to 'create and destroy' large amounts of flora in a radius around the player as they move around. I've been looking around and I havent even found any DarkGDK games that have large amounts of flora.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 12:17 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2011 12:25
I haven't researched into how the Professional Developers specifically achieve Flora, however, I've pondered over using Particle Systems, and optimized rendering techniques: LOD & Impostors(2D LOD).

If the Flora doesn't require any visual persistence, I believe that a Particle System for managing the grass,flowers,rocks displaced on over the terrain could achieve the effect your looking for. A decoupled rendering system can by used to optimize the display of the grass, flowers, rocks objects in the Player's field of view.

This is the approach that I'm going to use in my engine to achieve many visual effects that require massively replicated entities. Unfortunately, I don't have a time-line on when I will start developing it.

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 15:10
Wow, I never knew about this, downloading now.
@Techlord - we should look at adding this to dosp, I have not looked at the license yet but dark coder is always around so we could just ask him?

TheeLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 07:50
Well, let me be a bit more specific.

As the player moves, I need to create flora around the player based on what objects are in the terrain etc... The game has dynamically created and destroyed objects and I don't want grass in the middle of a road and such.

Sooo. What I did was do collision raycasts to find ground position and to make sure other objects were'nt in the way. While the player moves flora is destroyed behind and created in front of.. However this is all just a bit too slow.

Wondering if anyone has some more theory on this topic?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 09:21 Edited at: 6th Jan 2011 17:16
Quote: "As the player moves, I need to create flora around the player based on what objects are in the terrain etc... The game has dynamically created and destroyed objects and I don't want grass in the middle of a road and such.

Sooo. What I did was do collision raycasts to find ground position and to make sure other objects were'nt in the way. While the player moves flora is destroyed behind and created in front of.. However this is all just a bit too slow."
Like myself, I assume you want to devise your own system and you're seeking a means to optimize the management/rendering for flora objects. If so,

Quote: "If the Flora doesn't require any visual persistence, I believe that a Particle System for managing the grass,flowers,rocks displaced on over the terrain could achieve the effect your looking for. A decoupled rendering system can by used to optimize the display of the grass, flowers, rocks objects in the Player's field of view."

For the Super 3D Game Engine, I intend to use the Particle System to manage all massively replicated entities for visual effect: Flora, Flocks, Debris, Decals, Pyrotechnics, Lensflares. The Particle Engine controls a Particle's behavior and the rendering system controls a Particle's display in relation to the Player Camera.

A good majority of these visuals are handled using Sprites. Rendering Techniques such as Quadtrees, octrees, BSP-trees, back-face culling, potential visibility sets can be used to determine the best possible subset of Sprites that need to be rendered based on the Player Camera.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 14:14
I came across this awhile ago which I just remembered that could also help.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=172609&b=6
Using a large scale particle system as above the example above could cut out large scenes that don't need rendering.

Warning! May contain Nuts!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-28 01:36:38
Your offset time is: 2024-06-28 01:36:38