Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / binary

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 20:46
I'm trying to learn binary and can find loads of sites that tell you numbers or the alphabet, but how do you code it? Is there a program or something, or do you have to do everything outside windows?

[img][/img]

This statement is false
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:00
I can see this is going to take a loong time

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:04
Quit now! Turn back! Don't waste your time! (etc etc. (add discouraging remark here)).

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:50 Edited at: 7th Oct 2003 21:51
Learning binary isn't too hard - you just need to remember that 10 isn't 10 (its 2), and 100 isn't 100 (its 4), and everything is done from right to left.

Then, you need to be able to add and subtract binary...

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Insert witty comment here...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:58
And then you need to have the days of free time it takes to simply type out a Windows excecutable

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 22:15
Binary is simple and very useful to know

essentially all it is, is machine code being either 1 (on) or 0 (off) most basic form of computer language.
now when you talk about this in terms of computers a single binary digit is known as a BIT.

for your modern x86 (PC-CD) computer your processor is capable of handling 4-8-16-32 bit binary strings.
Although Binary String mean little to the adverage coder, thier sizes/uses were given a more descriptive name for use in the higher language suchas DarkBasic...

4Bit - commonly called a Poke
8Bit - Byte
16Bit - Word
32Bit - Double Word (Dword)

As the Bits = the number of Binary Digits, and each Binary Digit has 2 values (as was covered earlier) we can assume that the max value possible would be 2*BITS - the problem here being is that BITs are seperate from each other which means that 4bit rather than being 2*4 actually ends up being 2*2*2*2 ...

reason being that unlike Decimal math your used to where you have a set value per bit, binary is incremental kinda like a combination lock so really rather than trying to find out the max value your trying to find out the Max possible combinations.

again until Decimal math you always count 0 which means that the max value is 2^BITS-1

using this we can then determine the following

2^8BIT-1 = 255
now we have 256 combinations we can use to represent something, and this is exactly how ASCII text works.
If you open up your DarkBASIC Pro and look in the help file under the Principals of programmer and look at ASCII Characters (as there is a complete list there)... you'll see what the values are which are used to represent the characters on your screen.

The actual character change depending on your language, but usually your Operating System is based on your character binary - ASCII/ANSI is the best example because it is the Latin based language sets (American devised)

perhaps someone else ca go over howto use the operators as i don't have a grand amount of time right now

<< - Left
>> - Right
|| - Xor
.. - Or
&& - And
~~ - Xand or Xnot i can't remember
+ - Addition
- - Subtract
/ - Division
* - Multiply
% - Modular
^ - Exponencial
!! - Not

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 23:11
I don't think it's the number system he's trying to learn - it's machine code. Binary is a simple concept. Machine code is

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 23:17
Hey Raven, I've also heard 4 bits called a 'Nibble', half a byte .

Brains are for idiots.

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 23:20
I heard that nibble thing too. And strictly speaking (although it's never kept to) a Word is the width of the bus for whatever processor is using it. I suppose there's the "programmers Words" and the "architects Word". Same way bandwidth means bits per second to the computer boff, but to a hardware architect bandwidth means the range of frequencies a cable can carry.

Arrghh ... too many geeky facts.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 00:28
depends what language you start in i guess, i did write more commonly known as a poke...
reason is because a byte can also be an unsigned short, a word an unsigned long, etc...

could also get into the whole float exponencial^statics, but thats all worked out really oddly if you ask me and too confusing for a beginner
from a computer pov bandwidth is datasize/second whereas from a designers its voltage/second ... but then considering that only processors generally have multiple voltages (hense flipflops, and no not those sandle foam thingies ) in programmer oftenly there isn't a use for them.

However thanks to AMD's PowerNow! extensions you can actually alter and mark the float ranges from -3.8v to +3.8v, although this is within a step of 2x2v it can actually give you a decimal binary system to work with, 10^8 rather than 2^8.
Only problem is that you have to have this all figured within software which makes the enhancements you've made kinda moot speedwise... but the new Athlon64/Opterons work on a similar principal for additional speed using the 64bit and 80bit wide data registers.
(too much info for any newbie though )

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 00:36
LOL, Raven, you and your PowerNow (according to you it's extension of 3Dnow with a bistable gate or something).
But what has cpu power management to do with bin/hex/decimal or programming (other than OSes, maybe).

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 03:39
all I have to say is HEX 0A0D

-RUST-
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 05:33
maybe it'd help if you undestood what a flipflop was eh

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
nybble with a y like "byte". at least according to my C++ book.

words are today called words cause it's a carryover from the ancient 16-bit computers, when a 16-bit int WAS a word.. technically it's now incorrect to call a word a word because it's a half word, and what is called a long or dword is now a word. but old habits die hard. we now have qwords (64-bit ints) and owords (128-bit ints).

stop looking at me!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 11:05 Edited at: 8th Oct 2003 11:07
Here's a 'tutorial' I wrote for classmates before our Programming Exam.

Hope it came out well, if it didn't, try the source box below my post.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 12:29 Edited at: 8th Oct 2003 12:29
Quote: "maybe it'd help if you undestood what a flipflop was eh"

Or if you read the specs on the AMD site.

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:23:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:23:27