Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / OUT!OUT!OUT!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:38
The Savage demo is out!!!!!!!!!
http://www.s2games.com/savage/downloads.html

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:42 Edited at: 8th Oct 2003 22:38
grr....seems there's no link

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:45 Edited at: 7th Oct 2003 21:51
no wait
http://www.happypuppy.com/games/index.jsp?gid=70
you need to be registered and the windows version is the first file on the files list...both say linux but its wrong.
the game rocks! here is what vykyng on the savage forums had to say:
Savage is a great game. Obviously, even though it's a great game, it's not going to be for everyone. So hopefully I can give some impressions to help people decide if they're gonna like it.
I play lots of video games. My favorites (read: biggest timesinks) are usually MMORPG's and online FPS's. Savage (for the FPS player), is vaguely like a cross between Unreal Tournament and Battlefield 1942. More cartoony and fast paced than BF, yet not as chaotic and mindless as UT. If you like either one of those games and other similar games, Savage should be right up your alley.
Savage brings a lot of new things to the table however. This seems to be more than just a few snazzy game innovations. In fact, you may be a little disappointed with some aspects of Savage is you don't go into it with an open mind. For instance; the 2 armies (beasts and humans) not only look completely different, but have completely different gameplay strategies. If you grow accustomed to one side, you'll find that all your tried and true strategies won't work worth a crap when used by the other army. This is how it should be, unfortunately people who haven't explored the game enough often gripe about one side or another being unbalanced. This is because they probably tried the same strategies with both sides and found one team to work very well and the other to choke badly with that single strategy.
So most shooter fans will like Savage to some degree, especially fans of online team based shooters like Battlefield 1942. RTS fans might be a little disappointed with Savage. Again, one of the main (although not the only) reasons for this is that Savage won't quite comply with your preconceived notions. New commanders in Savage might think that the RTS element lacks depth or detail. This is because the military part of your army is not computer controlled. Consequently, there are no formations, battlegroups, etc. However a good commander doesn't play Savage the same way he plays a regular RTS. In Savage, troop management can be a full time job in and of itself. Savage maximizes the potential for cooperation and teambased play by streamlining most of the 'busy work' of a typical RTS. In a normal RTS, you don't have to explain WHY your troops should attack or move to a particular place, you just click and they go. Savage is different. Also, since each one of your military units is completely unique in their 'stats' (accuracy, loyalty, pathing, general skill), an effective commander can benefit a lot from knowing his players and communicating clearly and effectively. So while Savage doesn't have all the regular RTS unit considerations (formation, terrain, etc.), what consume so much of the players time and provide 'depth', there is still plenty of stuff to keep you occupied, you just won't be occupied with the exact same stuff that you would be in a RTS. Also, your units will (obviously) be much more unpredictable than when paying a RTS.
So RTS fans might or might not like Savage depending on their taste. As a rule of thumb, I'd guess that a Warcraft III fan would like Savage more than your typical Age of Mythology fan, although either could love or hate it depending on how much you like the 'human element' in your military units.
I believe Savage will be loved most by clans. The addition of a commander and RTS elements brings group strategy to a whole new dimension. Not only can teammates perform coordinated tactics, but now they can also, in essence, tailor each individual map to the team's taste. Kinda like a battlefield 1942 clan match but where the team could decide which artillery, buildings, and bases get placed where. I can't think of a game that has more potential for coorination and teamwork than Savage.
Every once in a while (once a year or so for me) a game will come out that will far outlast most other games I play. Everquest was like that. Warcraft III was like that. Battlefield 1942 was like that.
Savage is like that.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 21:55
For those of you wanting a shorter sypnosis... it's Natural Selection with a fantasy theme.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 22:00
traitor! for starters it is action and strategy game...what does strategy have to do with NS???

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2003 23:13
Well, that's what Natural Selection is, for starters

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 14:59
OMG this rules!Has anybody else tried the demo?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 16:41
...no

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
I have , dloaded it last night .It certainly shows a lot of promise
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 22:04
heh you got that right mac

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 22:10
Hey John D - why are you still here?

Last post I read of yours, you said you were pi$$ed of with DBP and wanted recommedations for other programming languages.

What happened to change your mind? - Did you realise DBP is the only way to go?

http://www.freewebs.com/scragglesoft/
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 22:18
hello nice to hear again from another person in cyprus-the truth is: I may leave DBPro, but I will never leave these forums!Right now, I getting tuned to C++ but at the same time finishing a small game I had started in DBPro.
...Savage is great it's one of those really special games man! dload now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:47:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:47:45