Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2D map editor Visual Basic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 23:22
Hi all, i'm making a 2D map editor using visual basic and have a question: If you were creating a map grid, would you use the pen function to draw lines or is there another graphic's method you would use?

Here is a screenshot:

"MAP" is where I want the grid lines to be. Basically you will be able to drag and drop objects from the object preview section to the map and it snaps into the gridded area.

If I seem unclear, please ask.

Thanks!
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I draw out the grid, save it to an image and use it off that. Or draw the grid with code and grab it as an image and use off that.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 05:40
Draw the lines with the VB code on top of the image tiles. Don't bother applying a separate image on top, it wouldn't make sense. Resize the window and you'll have to tile the image to fit the new dimensions of the viewport. Plus, when the user scrolls the viewport, you'll have to offset the grid image. And what if the tile size changes? You want to make a grid image for every tile size someone thinks of?

"Only the educated are free" ~Epictetus
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ~Einstein
xbandages
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 04:07
Ah thank you. I'll be working on that this week. Thanks all!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:25:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:25:21