Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / DB made Midi Editor Screen Shot

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
DOn'T! SaY I CannOt Be Done!

works with 16 channels color coded. Yes it plays realtime too without using API calls >
-----\
There was a man on the stairs that wasn't there.
He wasn't there agian today I think he's from the CIA.
BOC4J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 00:02
looks pretty tasty

ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
Im sorry for not posting a downloadable copy yet, I gotta find a use for the blank left side yet.. Midi is complex but there isnt anything usefull to put on the left side oter than the 3/4 4/4 ect.. marker. My idea worked so well.. it dosnt take alot of graphics to make it work it can do all the things your average populare "CakeWalk TM"
midi editing prgram can do. Yes you can even put text into your midi files. If your wondering how you edit with it and dont see a cursor its becase that screensot is taken during RUNNING mode "its playing so all cursors are removed during playing" When its not playing you get a cross hair to place notes, there are 24 coputer keyboard functions for setting tempo, time stamps, octive shifts, repeats, ect..

the instruments areselected through the arrow keys by moving the highlighter uup and down the color coded channel bars on the right pressing enter opens the instrument window
Ha to abbreaviate cause the smallest readable font you can make in this res is still not big enough to fit words like
Pizzacato Strings, and Synthasized Strings 1,2 so on. What channel is drums? Whatever channel you want it to be! Since this dosnt play back through your midi sequencer it can be any channel yu like unlike general midi and once the file is outputted it forces your sequencer to use the drum channel as a drum channel you specified unlike certain other windows midi editors.

-----\
ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh and yes the notes scroll that tiny area ISNT the whole length =P the length supports upto a 110 minute long midi file at most so far. I'll expand it later to support upto 1000 minute long midi's "of corse I doub seriously anyone would make anything longer than 6.35 minutes

-----\
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 03:40
looks like that one i had on my NES almost 10years ago, wish i could remember its name - but you'd place the notes down and you'd have 4 little people that you'd move around using direction arrows, when they went over the note played it on the instrament they used
God i wish i could remember what it was called.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2002 06:12
That is amazing ironhoof!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
Truthfully MIDI file format isnt all that complicated.

IT IS if you decode it the way everyone tells you too
because they go the hardway around everything. If you keep everything in the form of text it makes it mucho easir to work with and alot more friendly.

MIDI is based on a header chunk and track chunks

the heaer is 4 byte string MThd the next 4 bytes is the length of the header "which will always be 6" 00 00 00 06
notice that some data will be reversed "Big Endien" format BUT WHO CARES it will always be 00 00 00 06 or its not an midi! So no fancey reading functions here. So we read the next 6 bytes:

the next 2 bytes is th MIDI type 00 00 whch will be either 0 1 or 2 "which you can check in text form" 0 is a single track midi 2 is a yncronized multi track midi and 3 is a asyncronised track "meaning they dont nessessarily start and play at the same time". the next 2 bytes is the number of tracks 00 00 This isnt needed cause you can just ceck for an end of file and count the tracks as ou encounter them throughout the file. The last two bytes of the header is the number of DELTA TIME TICKS 00 00 , Ahem Delta time ticks suck! but this number matters...

after the header is your first track and each track at this point adon begin with its very own HEADER 4 bytes big that says MTrk and after that is a 4 bytes that tells you the LENGTH of the track (I havnt found it usefull for anything since each track ends with an exact special cmmand for ending the track. Okay after the trac header is the ACTUAL midi DATA YAY! .......... MWAHAHAHAHA

right away its important to note the first piece of data is a DELTA TIME! yay more of these things.. ALOT OF THEM!
after each MIDI event so foth is a delta time even if its 00 it will still be there. This s the time etween each action "which is important between notes to keep them timed right" this value is also MOST SIGNIFICANT BYTE FIRST!
meaning all but the last piece of this numberwill have a binary value of 1??? ???? the last byte of the delta time will have a binary value of 0??? ???? VOILA!

how do you read this? well since DB DOSE NOT suck! Lee gave us a nic BIN$ function =P clip a nice MSB$=RIGHT$(BIN$(DELTA),8) and check the left

IF LEFT$(MSB$,1)=0 then is last byte of the delta time. else go read the next byte.

simple! after each delta time is a MIDI EVENT there is kinds of midi events from what I seen a MIDI META EVENT
which changes things like tracks and stores text. RUNNING event which plays notes and adjusts things and SYSTEM EVENTS that control a lugged in keybord or the sequencer itself.

I would tell you every command but you only need to get my snippet off the snippet forum to see how they work TOODOLOO

-----\
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 01:16
Rather sweet, keep up the good work!

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 09:34
Pretty impressive man

denki
Kousen DPB RPG latest - Working on editors!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 09:46
lol... yeah isn't too hard
most older formats arn't ... i'm still stuck on translating 16bit colour to 24bit colour, the actual PCX and MD2 loaders are done packaged and ready, its just this one bloody thing that i can't seem to find any information about - how insane is that??
i used the binary like that for checking certian aspects of the formats i've been loading recently.

hey i'll have to show you something a lil later once i get some sleep, you're gonna love it

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 11:38
Vegeta, Wasn't that a multigame thing on the SNES, I remember one with little mushrooms for bass drums with mario etc starring in it. Was quite a cool little music thingy for kids, but it kept me occupied for a few hours.

It reminds me a little of Quartet on the Atari ST - it was basically a tracker that used notation like that, simple drag and drop affair - really fun to use.

Maybe you should leave midi behind and make your own music format, if you stick to standard DX sound commands, making a .dll to play them in the background would be fairly straightforward, you could probably even use a VB executable and pass the parameters to it. I've thought about doing something like this, but a really gritty music maker for making guitar tunes, cos guitars always sound crap - I wanna experiment and get a decent guitar synthesis system. I'm sick of music programs concentrating on Doof Doof Doof-Doof Doof techno tunes.

Van-B
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2002 13:49
It's also quite like one of the mini games in Mario Party 2. Perhaps they re-did it.

ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah but what makes this gret is ITS nt nintendo so it means you wont find any huge headed super cuteness in my pograms YECH!

-----\
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 18:10
Of course.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2002 18:18
I dunno Ironhoof, you app looks kinda cutesy with those little coloured tadpoles all over the place .

Not that you should change it, I like nice friendly interfaces on my music apps.

Van-B
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 00:01
Little coloured tadpoles!?!

Don't post when you're on LSD.

ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
True ^_^ I dunno I just like veriaty of colorsyou see I came from old computers with 3 inch screens and variable shades of GEEN and all they could do was DOS and GW-ASIC =P not that it wasnt anygood it was all i had and the accasional DEBUG.COM and TASM assembler for fun on the side
I make all my programs candy colored with delicious shades of blue green pink red :chuckles: now im hungry

-----\
ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
I NEED to start typing slower so my keyboard can keep up.

-----\
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2002 20:11
Your keyboard's slowing you down? That's weird. Are you using a 486?

Ages ago, in he days of the typewriter the keys were re-arranged from an alphabetical order to the qwerty system we see today due to secretaries typing too fast.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
no offense but it looks like it's running at about 320x200 resolution. kinda gives it a nice simple feeling but..

now if you REALLY want to impress me, make a tracker and a mixer interface in DB good luck..

BTW you were the one who made kframes. i thought you said (a LONG time ago) that they were for a midi editor you were going to make...?

i'm looking at yooooou!
TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2002 15:20
The left panel could be used for information about the currently loaded midi and instructions on how to load a new midi file.

The little game you are talking about was also developed for PC. But I don't remember the name either. I remember that the editor looked like an image editor (with big pixels). One of the examples was a Tyranosaurus Rex wich was actually a rock melody.

TheCyborg Development.
http://TheCyborg.Amok.dk
The Ultimate Source To DarkBASIC Programming.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2002 04:28
hehee ya know what i haven't a clue which one it was on... all i remember was a good 10years ago
was fun thou, there was one for the PC too - cause i remember getting my brand new SB16 IDE and playing it on that quite impressed with the number of vox channels i had. Pretty cool when you had all the instraments going was insane too hehee

Drazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 00:19
That's great ironhoof!
I can't wait to down-load it!
I'm using your RPGDTE to ceate Island of Kalo, music editors should be useful!

I make games for fun!
TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 11:01
The game for PC I'm talking about is not 10 years old. So maybe there are more than one. I got a demo of this with a frontpage CD on a Danish computer magazine. Actually it was 32bit.. hehe maybe a remake...

TheCyborg Development.
http://TheCyborg.Amok.dk
The Ultimate Source To DarkBASIC Programming.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 12:45
There was Music2000, that's a easy to use music editor made by Codemasters, it's sorta like a blue background with little coloured boxes with pictures of drums and guitars on them. I think you might be thinking of that.

I'm pretty sure Vegeta's music thing was a mini game that was supplied with Mario Paint, something like that anyway, so long ago now.

Van-B
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 19:41
Music 2000 rocked!

There's something about it - I lost the playstation version 3 times!

When I bought the PC version, it was even better - MUCH more memory and you can export directly to WAV format. No more MiniDisc optical scavenging again!

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 10:40
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Music2000 too. I never really liked the PC version cos it would'nt let me sample, might work now that I got rid of my extra CD-Rom drive, I think that's what confused it. I loved the Playstation version, probably my favourite PSX 'game'.

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:32:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:32:40