Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is darkbasic enough?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can i use just darkbasic pro to make some game with ai etc or do i have to buy every extra tool that gamecreators make? Is it possible to spend some time and make a game or i will spend a lot of time just to figure out that i need the extra tools.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 17:15
You can use DB Pro to write your own AI functions/subroutines.

TGC does offer DarkAI
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2024

which aids in programming AI movement. Can you do it yourself? Sure. However, programming AI takes a lot of thought and some programming skill. You have to program the game to where enemies have an appropriate response to every situation they encounter. If you are brand new to programming, I would suggest going through some tutorials and learning the DarkBASIC language and write some 'simple' games before writing a game featuring enemies with AI.

Personally, DarkAI seems expensive to me. Sometimes it works exactly as you hope / expect, but at other times it can be aggravating to work with. There have been several times that I have wanted to toss it aside and write my own stuff, but usually I find a way to work around the difficulties.

midgr
Years of Service
User Offline
thanx for the answer LBFN.Well i am trying to learn but the forum seems to be dead.The majority of the links point to non existent pages and i cant find any user made tools to aid me.

I have some expierence in programming but i think AI is the toughest part of making a game.And i dont know even one sigle player game that doesnt have some sort of AI(ok maybe tetris).

I am trying to find an editor first.I want it to generate some code for my dynamic objects.For example if i put a box in the editor the editor will generate the code for the box and then i can move the box around etc etc.Now i have to place all my dynamic objects with code and this is so time consuming and i have to keep transfering the coordinates from the editor to the code.

Anyway english is not my native language so i hope you will understand what i am searching.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 20:27 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 20:27
I would suggest you search the CODE SNIPPETS board for an editor. I found this one:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=45842&b=6

after a brief search. I haven't tried it myself, but I think alot of this programmer. However, I don't believe it will generate code for your object for collision purposes. For checking collision, I would suggest you use this
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5

dll; it is very fast and reliable. You can set up your objects in groups and check collision against an individual group.

midgr
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx once more.I found world1.2.Seems to be what i was searching for.I ll try it in xp cause it crashes on windows 7. I bookmarked your links and i ll download them when i manage to run the editor.
midgr
Years of Service
User Offline
LBFN the code snippet you showed me is perfect for the job.I made some changes and i will try to add some more features.Thank you.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 14:29
Good to hear. Good luck with your project.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:30:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:30:12