Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Another Newb to db in need of advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello, i am curious. i have spent alot of time finding the begginer books on darkbasic pro. i have em all.
begginers guide to darkbasic proggramming.
absolute begginers guide............
and the hands on vol 1, and 2
i have the material i need.
but i am alone in learning this i spend a couple hours a day reading this book and just cant seem to grasp all of the information they give out in all of these books. especially at the end of the chapters when they do the projects they introduce for example commands that arent covered yet. anyways.... my point is how fast should i be learning this? i am getting to constants and data files. but sometimes im reading and i draw a blank...

my question is.. should i be spending most of my time going over the same chapters over and over and really taking the time to get a firm grasp of the basics?
or should i shut up, quit bitching,calm down and press forward it will be all make sense as i progress through the book?

thanks

XXjangoXX
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 09:52
I have pushed on with the 'Hands on' books and then had to go back because I didn't fully understand something. I suppose it all depends on what works best for you.

Your signature has been [mod edited] :-p
Jojajojango
Years of Service
User Offline
i would kinda?? want to do what you did i wouldn't mind going back. and doing it all over again. i just want to feel like im getting somewhere ya know??
+ i have all the books for darkbasic!
they all have a differant way of explaining it
and they all explain it in differient orders.

XXjangoXX
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 20:40
The Beginner's Guide to DarkBASIC Programming was written for Dark Basic Classic and is dated, but it gives some good info that could be used with DBP. However, because several commands between the two are not compatible, it might be best to put it down until you know the difference between the two.

Hands On DBPro 1 starts off pretty slow, but is a useful book to learn with and to reference.

My advice is that if you are struggling learning the basics that you will likely become frustrated if you try to tackle more advanced techniques. Go back over the basics until you have a least a working knowledge of the fundamentals of DBP.

It takes time to learn programming. It can be frustrating at first because it seems like you are doing a lot of work and aren't getting much out of it Take a deep breath and relax. If you continue to work hard and try to learn, one day soon some things will start clicking and your understanding will increase.

Jojajojango
Years of Service
User Offline
i will do that thank you

XXjangoXX
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 02:34
I like the way LBFN puts it. You can put a lot of time and effort into this when you're learning and not get a lot back from it at first - but in the long run, you'll get back a lot more.

Start off simple, and when you think you've learned enough to write a simple program, stop and do so. It doesn't have to be a useful, meaningful program and it certainly doesn't have to be a blockbuster game, but put the commands you learn into practice as you learn them.

When the time comes to make a simple game, get stuck into it. You will hit brick walls and you will run into dead ends all over the place; that's ok, that happens to all programmers of all experience levels. Hit us up here on the forums with the drama and we'll help you. Learn what you need to know as you go, but have a goal: Finish that first game, even if it sucks. If it works, you'll be proud of it and you'll have learned practical skills along the way.

Good luck mate!
Jojajojango
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the great advice!

XXjangoXX
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 10:41
Reading through the books that you've got is great. It shows that you've got patience and can focus on the theory side of programming. I too have 3 books on DarkBASIC pro that I read from time to time. I've tried to sit down and read them from front to cover, but unfortunately my attention span lacks to do it, but I think it's only human nature.

Besides, I enjoy coding as a pass time, as a stress release. Kinda like a good game of chess.

Slowly but surely though, I'm increasing my coding skills and am gathering up more and more technique with each passing week that I dedicate to DBPro. Revisiting those books can clarify the little frustrations that you'll get from time to time.

Since you're posting some concern over your progression, perhaps it's time to write some simple programs? It doesn't have to be a game, but maybe, a tool to help your write a game?
Jojajojango
Years of Service
User Offline
i actually had a thougth to writing a program, thats asks some of the questions out of the book. kind of a glorified test lol. cause then im using what i learn and learning what i use... lol

XXjangoXX
Agent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 23:23
I think that's the best way

Learn what you need to get started, then get started, and learn the rest as you go.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2011 08:27
I'm a beginner learning Dark basic too. One thing I am doing which is helping solidify new knowledge is to write my own tutorial program outlining things i want to know, not to share with others but rather just to practically use commands and burn them into my mind.

i ask myself a question, and then answer it giving examples within the program.

as my knowledge builds i find more complicated and creative ways to use the simple commands I have learned, and add in new features i am covering at present.

the upside of this is if i ever go rusty then i have a tutorial written by me for me, explaining and practically using the examples.

I already find that the little I have picked up so far can be applied to a great many tasks with a little creativity.

I haven't used any books, i began with the dark basic help file in one corner of my window and worked through the introduction sections, and looked at its command index and example code to find out how to do things.

I feel the best way to learn something is to need to do it.
when you need it for a real task the code application becomes real as apposed to a textbook example you are detached from which is full of strange stuff.

hope this is helpful.

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:23:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:23:48