Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Will technology center be updated??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Will technology center be updated with new devices that we can use. Im looking for something to allow real 3dimensional combat in 3 dimension space. Maybe somekinda holographics projection unit that can be used by dbpro?? I know I know this sounds very impossible and a very noobish question but just wondering.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 09:10
If you're looking for something like a VR set that covers your eyes and effectively puts a screen all around you (along with advanced input devices), then that's possible, but very expensive, and I don't know if Pro can interface with those sets.

If you mean something that can interface with the real world around you, it's completely impossible as of today, sorry . Try again in 20 years... although something tells me it won't be working even then.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 15:32 Edited at: 8th Oct 2003 15:33
We only add things to the Tech Centre for bits of hardware that both (a) exist and (b) are sent to us FOC so we can code the interface / dlls for them.

We don't go out and actively seek new hardware, but if someone has found some they can tell us about it and we'll approach the company in question.

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2003 22:45
Im looking for something to allow real 3dimensional combat in 3 dimension space. Maybe somekinda holographics projection unit that can be used by dbpro?? I know I know this sounds very impossible and a very noobish question but just wondering.

VR headsets exist and one hat plugs into the PC will set you back around £400. I was thinking of putting a pair of red / blue 3d glasses lens on the goggles, give some 3D effect

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeh well i know its a way of but ive seen some 3d projection units so the technology is geting there.

las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 14:04
There are at least 2 methods under construction, I think they were going to hit production next year, if anything goes as planned.

But why are you asking support for something you don't have?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 22:51
3d projection... yes, to a very small extent.

However, what you're asking for is for the technology to be able to interface with 3d objects around you-- even the highest-tech, most detailed and powerful world-reading technology in development still has trouble telling a door from a wall from a curtain. This stuff is decades away, if the history of VR technology is anything to go by .

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 23:10
*dreams of Star Trek holodeck of his own*

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
lol not to interact as in be able to physically touch he objects just see them carry out task and be able to see it happen visually but i was thinking to tell it what tasks maybe some kinda handheld device.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 15:54 Edited at: 18th Oct 2003 15:55
This isn't as far out of reach as people think...

"Holodeck" technology is coming along nicely, as is Augmented Reality...
Read up on them here:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/holographic-environment.htm - Holographics

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/augmented-reality.htm - Augmented Reality

Knowladge Belongs To The People...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 16:29:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 16:29:57