Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark DGK Vs Dark Basic Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont know if enyone talked about this before, but what are the Defrinces in Dark Basic and dark DGK (Besides the compiler)
i have read that there is some speed defrinceses, but nothing i can get eny serius stuff from.

i have a program in Dark Basic there just after a 100 lines of code look laggy. and trust me it aint the mashine. so my Question is bacikly how much better the one is form the other

eny help whud be awsome ยจ

Vincent
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 16:00
Moved to the DarkGDK board.

AutoBot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 03:09 Edited at: 18th Jan 2011 03:10
Once you start learning C++, you'll see. Trust me.
GDK has the backup of C++, which has the flexibility of Object Oriented Programming (using the class, struct, and union keywords), inheritance (inheriting the qualities of one class to another), template classes and functions (customizability), organizing you code via header files and translation units (c/cpp files), using other SDKs (GDK is one of many of these), and many other features that'll give a boost to your game's performance, as well as flexebility to it's development.
Of course if you don't know very much C++, and if what I just said was a million miles over your head, I would strongly recommend getting started with DarkBasic Pro. It's going to be beneficial in the long run and a good stepping stone to your programming knowledge in the future. Along with this DBP has a large support base right here at the forums, as well as many tutorials that are fairly easy to understand. Diving into advanced game development really isn't going to do any good, I've seen many people get scared away by C++'s complexity and assumptions.
Hope I didn't just scare you away with all that.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 10:46
Quote: "my Question is bacikly how much better the one is form the other"

It strongly depends on what those 100 lines do, and what do you consider 'laggy'.
In many cases it will run steady in DGDK...

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Since Basic is an interpreted language, while for C++ the compiler generates native machine code, Dark GDK with C++ should be much faster. However, although I don't have personal experience with Dark Basic Pro, I have seen big games programmed with it which were not laggy. It depends on what the code does and how, and how much optimization you can do on it.

Otherwise, using C++ has all the advantages of a complex programming language with many possibilities, that AutoBot already mentioned.
TerryRussell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2011 22:58
Dark Basic Pro isn't an interpreted language. It is linked and compiled into machine code. In many ways you could consider it to be a wrapper for C++ functions.

That said, I have converted quite a lot of the DB Pro programmes I have created into C++ versions, pretty much line by line. Based on those, Dark GDK seems to run 3-10 times faster than the DB Pro equivalent.

I have also had to fix a number of problems in the Dark GDK libraries, to prevent memory leaks, correct missing headers and missing functions. In a couple of cases, I rewrote the functions (the str$ function for example). But I doubt they affected the speed noticeably.

Amazing Simulation
www.amazing-forum.com
Vincent Van Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
hehe thx a lot guys it really helped alot im new to all this so i think i stick with the basik for now ^^ and maybe later opgrade to DDGK eny how thx for your help

vincent

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-23 02:56:42
Your offset time is: 2024-06-23 02:56:42