Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Arnie for governor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
[/quote]my dad always said, "history is written by the victors" and thats all there really is to it.[quote]

Yup! And that's why there will always be Wars & Forums so people can physically or verbally beat somebody into submission, until their point of view becomes the only point of view.

Specs[1 GiG Athlon,Geforce Ti4, 128mb]
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 09:08
Id love to argue diatribe with you bro but i have more important things to do.

AM_
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "To elbaorate on what the vikings discovered was iceland with eric the red."

Eric the Red was a previous inhabitant of Iceland who discovered and settled in Greenland. His son Leif Ericsson sailed to and explored Vinland (the land which he had heard of from Bjarni Herjulfsson who sited North America in 986 when his ship was blown far off course, Bjarni never landed though).

Quote: "And there is just as much evidence stating that the greeks discovered America as well"

Well, just as much evidence? If you can show me where you have excavated evidence of Greek precense in America, then I'd be really interested in seeing it? You do not seem to realize this but the Viking discovery of America is not just yet another wacky theory of discovery derived from ancient ill-documented myths. There is archealogical evidence of a viking settlement in L'Anse Aux Meadows, Newfoundland and the viking discovery of America is a fairly widely accepted fact amongst historians.

But Raven is right about the Norse discovery of America not nearly having the same historical relevance to modern America as Columbus did. I'm not saying Columbus day should be renamed Ericsson day or anything, teaching about Columbus' voyage in 1492 in American schools is certainly of much greater importance than Norse settlements in Newfoundland. I'm merely pointing out that any claim that Columbus was the first European to discover America is simply not true.

Oh and indi, please do not make the mistake of thinking Americans deliberately are trying to hide the previous presence of and white peoples massacres of Native Americans under the rug. That is just rediculous.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 12:44
there might be documented building structures and such of thier landing, however there we're maps shown and discussed on discovery on thier "Search for Atlantis" program ... documenting that several older nations from the meds had trade routes setup, this was then again used again in another documentary about nortical navigation.

Quote: "Oh and indi, please do not make the mistake of thinking Americans deliberately are trying to hide the previous presence of and white peoples massacres of Native Americans under the rug. That is just rediculous. "

certainly isn't ... hell even disney has covered it - maybe in a cutsie mannor but still there.

... as i said, the land is already there you technically can't discover it for everyone - you discover it for your own people.
Tommorrow some Chinese Scientist dude might discover cold fusion (god knows what he'd do with it) ... but if he never shared it with the rest of the world and 30years later some american scientist discovered it, they would claim they discovered it first.
If you waited another 25-30years and then released the documents that proved the Chinese were the first, it wouldn't change history.
And you could bitch about it all you want - in the eyes of the americans they'd be the first. History lessons might be ammended with the Chinese doing it as a tid-bit but essentially nothing would change, and most people apart from the Chinese would even care who discovered it just that we can all use it.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 16:13
Arnold for governor! http://www.miniclip.com/arnie.htm

Pneumatic Dryll
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 19:35
Quote: "Eric the Red was a previous inhabitant of Iceland who discovered and settled in Greenland. His son Leif Ericsson sailed to and explored Vinland (the land which he had heard of from Bjarni Herjulfsson who sited North America in 986 when his ship was blown far off course, Bjarni never landed though)."

Amazing but this has yet to become a flamebait topic and instead now discusses the finer points of Norse history

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
AM_
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe, yeah sorry for straying off topic. But to tell the truth I think the Arnold as a governor isn't that big a deal. It's mildly humerous but I am not at all shocked or anything as it has since the (s)election of G.W. Bush been proven that you do not have to be a competent politician to reach a position of high political power in the US.

I guess you could say The Governator at least seems to mean well and want to make a difference instead of just seeing it as a step in a political career. I really don't have any idea about whether or not he'll be able to do a good job as governor though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:41:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:41:20