Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What should I try to do first

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was thinking about doing an Rtype/galaga style game as my first project , but have no idea how to really get one going. any suggestions on what I should try first, and how I could make it?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 04:01
that is totally possible and probably a few steps ahead of starting with say tetris which is a good game to get to know firstly as it helps to have a game with low media content while u learn to code.

You could acheive this in either 2d or 3d. I would explore the commands and features before you really embark on a game tho.

To give u an indication of how this might work in 3d, here is a really small snippet on some of the problems and mechanics you will face in say an rtype game.

using the arrow keys to move up n down allows you to move the cube which is the playes object. the spheres wont collide with you but they represent the badguys movement as well as the updating of them when they are offscreen, It appears there is a constant stream of things moving towards you.

anyway try this little example because it will work for both galaga / galaxian rtype etc.. type game setups.

the difference being is that this is horizontal and other games of a similar nature have the same mechanics but are just vertical in movement.

Personally I would explore 3d for this as it would help you understand 3d aspects and be a good step towards other 3d games you might like to create afterwards.

remember have fun and dont be afraid to ask if you get stuck, just be specific about the problem you want answered.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:08:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:08:03