Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK updates with the commercial version?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 18:49
I own the commercial version of DarkGDK, and after paying for it I downloaded the updates only to find THEY ONLY UPGRADE THE FREE VERSION.
As a paying customer I'm particularly annoyed that the free version gets more attention than the one I paid for and that I bought an outdated product with no support. I can't even use it with visual c++ 2008 express, I have to use visual studio 2005, which is 5 YEARS old...
I would rant on forever about this (and I plan to email TGC about it), but I would much appreciate just being told if there is any way to install the upgrades to the commercial version as I would very much like to have access to the antialiasing functions.

thanks in advance for any help.

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have a commercial license, therefore I didn't feel competent to reply but since nobody else did for several days...

I've always been under the impression that there is no physical difference between the "free version" and the "commercial version". The only difference is the license, but the product you download and install should be the same, and the updates you can download are not just updates to the free version, but they are actually THE latest versions of Dark GDK, either free or commercial. Is that not so?

This page says you need to buy a license for 30 dollars if you want to use Dark GDK for commercial development, but it doesn't say anything about buying a different product:

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128&page=upgrade

If you bought a license with came together with the 2005 version, you should ask TGC whether that license continues to be valid for all later releases.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 09:06 Edited at: 4th Feb 2011 10:05
If you're looking for better compiler support, have a look at PureGDK:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177817&b=38

Also see here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=179245&b=22

It's based off of the DarkBasic Professional dynamic libraries instead of DarkGDK's static libraries. This means that unlike DarkGDK, PureGDK is binary compatible with all of DBP's plugins. Many of them are supported out of the box (Beta 3 provides preliminary support!).

The easiest way to get your plugins working is to install and license them with DarkBasic Professional before installing PureGDK.

Here is a video of a C++ example project being run and debugged from the Qt Creator IDE. It also demos the flexibility of PureGDK by compiling from a UNIX (cygwin) command line using Make and the GNU g++ compiler. It should work with most any C/C++ compiler.

http://puregdk.com/files/upload/TGCForum/pgdk_cpp_demo_xvid.avi

C++ Projects supported out-of-the-box include:

GNU make/g++ (gcc compiling may require setup)
nmake/vc++ (vcvars32.bat compiling should work out of the box)
Visual Studio 6
Visual Studio .NET
Visual Studio .NET 2003
Visual Studio 2005
Visual Studio 2008
Visual Studio 2010

Even if your favorite compile isn't listed, if it's standards C++ compliant and can import windows.h then it should work.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 11:30
Quote: "There is no physical difference between the "free version" and the "commercial version". The only difference is the license, but the product you download and install should be the same, and the updates you can download are not just updates to the free version, but they are actually THE latest versions of Dark GDK, either free or commercial."

True. The only thing that changes is what are you allowed to do with your developments.

Quote: "If you bought a license with came together with the 2005 version, you should ask TGC whether that license continues to be valid for all later releases."

Not really needed in my opinion, the license is still valid.
However some points at the EULA may have been updated, and you should agree and follow the commercial EULA corresponding to the version that you are using.

Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 15:24
Thanks for the replies everyone, I#ll email TGC later about the license and hopefully get some good news on that, as for PureGDK, I think it's a bit out of my budget as £38.99 and then the fee for PureBasic on top of that. Also, if I were to purchase it how would I get it to work with VC++ 2010? would I still need the PureBasic compiler?

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 21:23 Edited at: 5th Feb 2011 21:24
The PureGDK 1.0 series was reliant upon the PureBasic compiler. PureGDK 2.0 can work with any language that supports C libraries and make Win32 system calls. Headers are included for PureBasic and C++.

All you have to do is install it and run the Visual Studio 2010 example projects. Everything should work out-of-the-box.

PureGDK is completely free while it's in beta and is also compatible with the free version of DarkBasic Professional. So it won't cost you a dime to try it.

TerryRussell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 21:40 Edited at: 6th Feb 2011 17:28
Hi PlanetaryFunk.

Like you, I have the commercial "version". It is exactly the same as the free version. Only the license terms are different.

And it works perfectly well with Visual C++ Express 2008. What problem are you having?

I have to say that there are a number of bugs in Dark GDK. Mostly half-finished stuff, with missing entres in the header fields and so on. There are some missing overloaded functions as well. I have fixed most of them now in my copy and recompiled the libraries. I'd suggest doing the same, if I were you. By doing this you will get to understand what is "under the hood" and coding becomes much easier.

I have also replaced one or two of the functions with my own code. This has helped in a number of places where there seemed to be memory leaks. (Currently working on the 4K leak every time a looped mp3 sound goes around).

Amazing Simulation
www.amazing-forum.com
Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 14:18
@TerryRussell
Unfortunately my understanding of DirectX and my coding skills are somewhat lacking in order to do that so it isn't really an option for me.

@Mistrel
I have downloaded the free beta, however, VC++ 2008 doesn't seem to be able to find the headers, I've ran the compile header bat and pointed VC++ to include it but it still doesn't seem to find them.

TerryRussell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 17:27
From the sound of it, VC++ 2008 does not know about some of the libraries on your system. However it is not terribly difficult to fix this manually.

In VC++ 2008, go to Tools, then select Options.

In the "Options" dialog, click on Projects and Solutions. It will expand and you will see VC++ Directories.

In that, there is a drop-down menu "Show directories for:"

Select "Include files". In the list it should include (your exact paths may be different, depending on the version of Windows you are using):

C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Include
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Include *
* You may have a different DirectX version.

If you don't have those at least, then that's your problem. You will probably have others in there as well.

I also have
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Include\DBO Format
If that path exists on your PC, I would suggest that you add it. Although I think I only added it for recompiling the Dark GDK libraries, it won't do any harm to have it on your setup as well.

In my "Library Files" drop-down on the same menu, I also have
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional Online\Compiler\plugins-licensed
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional Online\Compiler\plugins-user
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Lib\vs9
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Lib\VS9Debug
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Lib\x86

(Plus others not needed for Dark GDK)
I'm not sure which ones I added for recompiling the Dark GDK libraries, but if those directories exist on your PC, it won't do any harm to add them.

Hope this helps.

Amazing Simulation
www.amazing-forum.com
Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 17:32
It finds the darkGDK libs fine, I'm trying out the PureGDK libs. I have pointed VC++ to the header and lib folders but I still get an error with it.

TerryRussell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 18:14
Oh, from your orignal post where you said "I can't even use it with visual c++ 2008 express, I have to use visual studio 2005, which is 5 YEARS old", I thought you meant that VC++ 2008 wasn't seeing the files for Dark GDK.

Can't help you much with the Pure version, Sorry.

But I imagine it's the same sort of thing. I'd suggest searching for the "lib" and "include" folders and adding them manually.

Amazing Simulation
www.amazing-forum.com
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 21:56 Edited at: 6th Feb 2011 21:58
I changed some paths for beta 3 and forgot to update the C++ projects. I'll have an update for you shortly.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 23:55 Edited at: 6th Feb 2011 23:56
I've corrected this oversight. Please re-download beta 3 from the same link and try compiling again. The installer in the zip file should be dated 2/6/2011 and is 23,918,258 bytes. The previous installer is dated 2/4/2011.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177817&b=38

Beta 3 introduced preliminary support for plugins. Plugins will work just fine with C++ but the examples projects for these have not been converted to C++ yet. You're welcome to experiment to see if you can get them to work.

There are also new example projects for advanced terrain and cloth simulation. These also have not yet been converted to C++ but there are binaries in the example bin directory where you can run them.

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 05:44 Edited at: 10th Feb 2011 05:44
Has anyone had a chance to try out PureGDK beta 3 with Visual Studio? I have corrected the path issue mentioned earlier.

PlanetaryFunk, you're welcome to try it out with whichever is your favorite version. To reiterate for anyone else who might be new to this thread, C++ Projects supported out-of-the-box include:

GNU make/g++ (gcc compiling may require setup)
nmake/vc++ (vcvars32.bat compiling should work out of the box)
Visual Studio 6
Visual Studio .NET
Visual Studio .NET 2003
Visual Studio 2005
Visual Studio 2008
Visual Studio 2010

enderleit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 03:47
Quote: "The easiest way to get your plugins working is to install and license them with DarkBasic Professional before installing PureGDK."

Does this mean I could use plugins like matrix1utils and d3d_func with PureGDK? (they don't exist for DarkGDK)

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does this mean I could use plugins like matrix1utils and d3d_func with PureGDK? (they don't exist for DarkGDK)"

Yes, you can.

Any plugin for DBP is binary compatible with PureGDK. There are a few exceptions where legacy parameters are not supported (passing a DBP-style array, etc).

Vector and matrix IDs are supported and are automatically converted to structures passed by address.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 10:10
Quote: "Does this mean I could use plugins like matrix1utils and d3d_func with PureGDK? (they don't exist for DarkGDK)"

Sorry but, d3d_func is available for DGDK, and some portions of matrix1utils are around the forum as well.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Releases for D3DFunc for DarkGDK stopped at 3.7. There is a new version 3.7.1 for DBP that will work with PureGDK.

Not to mention all of the other plugins that are not compatible.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 12:30
Sorry, I'd say it is not nice to try to 'steal' DGDK users.
Don't want to be rude, but nobody asked here for your PureGDK stuff.
I would stop spamming/trying to catch new customers, thanks anyway for the info.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 13:09 Edited at: 14th Feb 2011 13:13
Quote: "Sorry, I'd say it is not nice to try to 'steal' DGDK users."

Steal what? PlanetaryFunk wanted to use Visual Studio 2005. DarkGDK isn't compatible with that.

PureGDK is in beta and provides C++ support. What better place to find people to test it than on the DarkGDK board?

Interplanetary Funk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 21:10
thanks for the replies, sorry for being so late in replying, been busy with this and that. I'll try the latest PureGDK and hope it works, thanks again

Get on my level
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 18:47
Quote: "PureGDK 2.0 can work with any language that supports C libraries and make Win32 system calls. Headers are included for PureBasic and C++...
...What better place to find people to test it than on the DarkGDK board?"

I guess you are right, sorry if I sounded harsh.
The C/C++ support is great, and it should open a wide door for PureGDK.

I've reviewed PureGDK stuff, and it has very interesting features, that perhaps you should remark, like the internal multithreading support, or explain further for the people, like what is PureBasic, and what advantages does it brings, like its powerful GUI gadgets and free visual editors, like PureFORM.
That's what I saw at a glance.
I think it would be specially interesting to know what the multithreading support can do for us, perhaps with some sort of example. It could give a performance boost in many cases

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 01:41
Well, if it has a GUI and editors and multi-threading then I'll have a look at it. I like GDK with C++, it's an easy addition to C++ to use. I've not yet had a proper chance to test out the BOOST libraries (I don't need much of them really). Any additions that maybe Pure GDK can do to make life easier then I'll look into it.

Warning! May contain Nuts!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 12:41:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 12:41:29