Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Thank You!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 08:29
I've been working with BASIC since the Timex Sinclair made its appearance. Since then, I've worked with Atari BASIC, GWBASIC, QBASIC, and QuickBASIC. It wasn't until 1993 when I got version 4.5 of QuickBASIC that I wanted to be able to create some interesting games. However, BASIC at that time simply couldn't compare to the games being released commercially.

Thanks to DarkBASIC, the only limits I've found are with in the abilities of those using it to create programs. I would like to say thanks to The Game Creators for creating development software that is easy to use and understand.

Thank you for what you do and keep up the good work!
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 08:39 Edited at: 7th Feb 2011 08:40
Nice to hear something nice for a change instead of loads of requests for help, we will look forward to seeing more games and code from you on the forumz.

Kamakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 08:55
Who me?!? I'm a beginner still LOL. Lots of game ideas on paper, but just now learning BASIC...I guess you could say. And my first DBPRO project was actually for a college assignment. I would not have managed to get it done enough to show if it wasn't for the ease that DarkBASIC Pro offers. And I do need to give Thanks to Grog for helping me with it. So, thank you Grog.

Most of those old BASIC versions really didn't teach a lot other than a few graphic and sound routines...and they loved GOTO/GOSUB and FOR/NEXT statements seems like. But, serious thanks goes to TGC for what they do and to those that take the time to help others learn this powerful yet simple language.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 09:32
You're welcome.

It seems we've been on the same path. I've also ran the gambit of basics Basic, GWBasic, QuickBasic 4.0 and 4.5 before I gave up on QuickBasic because of it's limits.

Darkbasic Pro is virtually limitless especially with all the addons like IanMs Matrix 1 Utilities Plugin (free). IanMs DATAFILE commands give us the same binary file manipulation in QuickBasic. And it brings back the normal Basic MID$() command that allows more than one character to be extracted. If you don't have it yet add it to Darkbasic to make your life easier.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85209&b=18

Kamakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 10:01 Edited at: 7th Feb 2011 10:06
Thanks again Grog. Downloading now.

BTW, I noticed most of the links to tutorials in the rules to this section of the forum are broken.
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 11:23 Edited at: 9th Feb 2011 11:27
Yup, but that's not a real problem. Most of it is covered in documentation and example code. Mostly, that is enough.

A search on the forums are more helpful than any tutorial I ever read cause threads are more detailed and specific to certain topics.

If all else fails... ask for help! The guys (and galls) on these boards are very helpfull and not judgemental... I haven't found any form of 'elitism' here. Thank god!

Edit:
Just figured that no program/tool/app or whatever makes it without any form of support. In this case it's this very forum community, so I take this opportunity to show my gratitude to the invisible force that drives the developers. Thanks!

Regards Sph!nx
http://www.mental-image.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:22:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:22:35