Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Into the... DARK (pitch for scariest game contest)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 19:41 Edited at: 17th Feb 2011 18:07
Title: Into the... DARK

(Basically the games running gag is that each level is named "Into the..." followed by the environment that you`ll have to explore. Level 1 is therefore called "Into the... CABIN"

Developer: Homegrown Games / Ivan Ertlov

Story:

You`re Peter "Pete" O`Brannon, a Private Eye. Sounds faszinating? Well, it isn`t, trust me - unless you find it exciting to hunt down cheating husbands and lost dogs while living of cheap Chinese food in shabby motels aside the freeways. Exactely THAT would be what Petes job is all about - but luckily for him, he has a good customer paying his bills. It`s GlobalSecure Inc., one of the biggest insurance companies on the East Coast. More exactely, it`s Samantha "Sam" Miller who runs their investigation departement on insurance fraud. She`s tough, she`s intelligent, she`s better than Pete. By far better. But due to the companies Code of Conduct and some very nasty ethic rules, she`s prevented from taking, erm, "semi-legal" steps to gain essential information and proofs. That`s where Pete steps in - for 500 bucks per day (1000 on weekends) + expenses + a nice 20% share of the money the company saves with whatever Pete finds out.

These 20% could be the winning ticket for a major lottery in the latest case Pete has been assigned to: An old man has died, at the age of 85, heart attack. Seems like an everydays story? Well, it would be - unless the fact that he had an policy over 2.5 millions of dollar, and that the money would be divided up between a misterious "Center for Transhuman Progress" and some Anti-Communist groups, one of them even with ties to the KKK. Sam got suspicious on that one and checked his data. The result was negative. Literally! Because there were no previous plicies, insurances, drivers licences or even medical data before 1991. It seemed that the 85 years old started his recorded existence at the age of 65...

Sam picks up Pete for a Ride to New England, where the mysterious grandpa has spent the last 20 years in a shabby cabin, located in a remote valley. Because she actually has nothing like search warrant at hand and not enough facts to call for the cops, it`s Pete`s turn to enter the cabin and do the dirty work. But, hell, for a chance to earn half a million of bucks, Pete would go to hell and back.

At least he thought so!

Features:

- Mix of reworked stock media with custom media and MPs
- 100% self-made custom segments
- "Investigator" game, 3 to 4 times more clues, riddles, puzzles than enemies to shoot at (But those you have to fight will be harder!)
- Buddy system: Pete can call Sam for hints and assistance.
- Alliances: Two different factions to choose from (not in the 1-level-version)

SCREENSHOTS:

(Don`t be too harsh, as I returned to fpsc only a few weeks ago after years of absence and still I only work around in my rare spare time. However, constructive critizism is appreciated!)

Inside the Cabin - What did Edward do here?

If you land here, you`re almost dead...

Come to where the madness is:
http://www.homegrowngames.at
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 19:59
Don't be harsh? I really can't see anything to be harsh on! Both screens are fabulous! And there will propably be couple of people saying to put more entities in the later screenshot, but please... do the area justice and don't overload it with entities I think it's perfect as it is. I just LOVE the shadows!

Only thing is the zombie with the sawblade under it. It looks like it would fall off the table (atleast to me) so maby push it back a bit? Other than that... I find nothing to cpmplaint about.

Nice pictures BTW

PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 20:10
Being harsh on this masteriece is like talking bad about something good (well ..... it is .... I .. never mind )
Looks awesome !

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 20:21
wow. this is amazing, i wonder how you got that BOTB badge

Johnski Server, the free explore and PvP minecraft server

[href] http://johnskiserver.yolasite.com/ [/href]
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 20:22 Edited at: 10th Feb 2011 20:25
Quote: " I really can't see anything to be harsh on!"

There`s plenty of stuff left to be harsh. The right poster looks more like plastic then paper, the stock hud is still inside, the resolution of the tableE (stock) was not increased before creating and applying the normal mapping e.t.c.

Will try to push more into details!

Quote: " but please... do the area justice and don't overload it with entities "

Hehe, rest assured. This is a fighting area, one of the few places where the player MUST fight. I won`t overload it.

Quote: "Looks awesome ! "

THX!

@Syko: THX 2 - Well, the BOTB badge was given to me in the early days of the FPSC community, only few generations after the homo sapiens mastered the art of firemaking, it was easier then Rolfy and Wolf set the level far higher shortly after.

PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 21:57 Edited at: 10th Feb 2011 21:58
Erltov? Why do you talk about yourself that low?
Your a awesome User and a good addition within the community, you EARNED the BOTB Developers Bagde. End of Discussion.

When can we expect more?

Johnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 22:18
i 100% agree with you PkalaarSFX

Johnski Server, the free explore and PvP minecraft server

[href] http://johnskiserver.yolasite.com/ [/href]
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 22:21
Love the sharp wall texture, did you used a normal map for that? Great screens man, you can be proud of it

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 22:29 Edited at: 10th Feb 2011 22:32
Quote: "Erltov? Why do you talk about yourself that low? "

Rule #1 about me: I never say something without a little bit joking. And I never joke without a little bit truth inside

Quote: "When can we expect more? "

Hmmm you can see some more here, but the part of the level is far from being polished yet, it`s only basic architecture and the first FEW props in there, have to model and retexture more during the weekend.

BTW - Model Pack 52 is AWESOME! Still I will have to retexture at least the decayed

Quote: "Love the sharp wall texture, did you used a normal map for that?"

I make my segment textures 1024*1024 in Gimp / PS untill I like them, then I go into Crazybump, ad some 3D highlights THERE on the diffuse, calculate the I map out, calculate the normal map and then I manually adjsut the normal map in Gimp again, because the automatic in CrazyBump doesn`t allways catch the best, even if you heavily play aroudn with the settings.

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 22:36
Nice job, although just a comment, it looks like your using the same texture for the floor and the ceiling, wich looks a bit bad (im my opinion)

Keep up the nice work

Nazareth Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 22:40
OH MY GOD

Asome Just asome

i might pull out of the comp to be honest, i feel like im offending you with my entry if i have the balls to enter it

best atmosphere ive seen in fpsc ever, and ive been keeping an eye on fpsc games for two years

you surley do deserve that badge

Deathkon 3000
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 22:58
Quote: "it looks like your using the same texture for the floor and the ceiling, wich looks a bit bad"

You`re absolutely right, this is the last part of the level and not yet finished. I`ll see if I can ad an additional ceiling without coming too close to the 1.85Gig barriere.

Quote: "i might pull out of the comp to be honest,"

Don`t do that, even if my games have atmosphere, I usually suck on gameplay.

cmando
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice screenshots!
Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 04:59 Edited at: 11th Feb 2011 05:07
Very Nice! That one screen with the Mp52 guy, I can tell, that its going to make most leak a little. Great job one good reason for receiving a cunsusion and having that force me out of the contest, is that ill be able to enjoy this (If released) without jealousy
EDIT: What's the text on the left poster on the first screen? Like the on that has a half human skeleton, and then some lion man skeleton under it.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the story, and i would love to do some texturing work for ya!

if you would like my offer,for free, contact my email octavio9mm@hotmail.com

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 01:17
Quote: "What's the text on the left poster on the first screen? Like the on that has a half human skeleton, and then some lion man skeleton under it."

This is one of the many notes and drawings the player will find, they are part of the story telling. (You can even pick up some of the notes and then got to a library or Computer station to research & learn more about the opponents you have against you, thus increasing your fighting power against them). In this case, it`s a drawing from Edward that speculates if the muscle growth increasing the strength of the creatures is affecting their agility...

Quote: "I love the story, and i would love to do some texturing work for ya!"

Thanks, will be coming back to you soon.

Small screenie attached, still I`m not satisfied with the look of the upper rooms...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 01:28
Nice screen Im really excited to see this in full glory

Slayer1918z
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great, a lot of wonderfully placed scenery and the story seems interesting. I hope to play it one day.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 04:29
In the screen you just posted, you may want to make the rubble piece not half in the doorway Overall this looks very nice.

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best"
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 10:18 Edited at: 12th Feb 2011 10:18
I love your screens !
It looks 1000 more times cooler than Anderson !

Keep it up !

Please apologize my bad english, I'm French.

ELDORA Rocks !
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 11:17 Edited at: 12th Feb 2011 11:38
Quote: "It looks 1000 more times cooler than Anderson !"

You can`t compare FPSC 1.04 to 1.18

We had troubles when exceeding 40k polys then and shaders were out of the quesion...
And, yes, may have learnt one or two things during my work in other engines on commercial games during the last years.

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 15:25 Edited at: 12th Feb 2011 15:25
For some reasons, the first screenshot (the one with the skeleton) reminds me a bit Half-Life 2, especially the Ravenholm part.

Please apologize my bad english, I'm French.

ELDORA Rocks !
Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 15:37
Haha it reminds me of how lucky I am not to be a detective investigating dome creepy mans shack ...

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 00:41 Edited at: 13th Feb 2011 00:43
Hm - Half Life 2 ?

I had more CoC: DCOTE, Amnesia and Penumbra in Mind, together with a nice share of Alone in the Dark

Quote: " I am not to be a detective investigating dome creepy mans shack"

Well, the story unfolds slowly into something by far bigger than that. Politics and conspirations included

Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 00:47
Well I cant say anymore about this game cause I dont want to come across as biased in anyways, as Im now a judge of the Scariest Game contest. All I can say is good luck!

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 19:30
Nice! Yet another game I'm looking forward to play...however...
You do know that you did a good job, I have a few critics though:

There is a sitting skeleton and a severe torn appart ( but still fleshy) upper body part on that desk..how did that happen?

-The level's seem a bit too random for me... there are those super modern pressure doors and windows and these simple wooden desks and this old phone? Doesn't seem natural to me...It doesn't look like a cabin at all. Aware of you're skills...I'm sure you're going to handle that

- Shader's are awesome...but you tend to overshade you're scene.
One hint would be to use Specular Maps only on these Metalstructures you use...this will make them look less like plastic.

Keep up the stunning work

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
HazardStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
All of this work is extremely well done... I actually can't praise it enough. The atmosphere, lighting, entity placement... everything is just top notch.

HAZARD

P.S Scariest Game? You bet.

the apocalypse begins... 20/1/2010
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 20:08 Edited at: 13th Feb 2011 20:10
Ha, always appreciating your feedback..

1. The skeleton is out of plastic for research purposes, only the corpse is real (the player learns that via the notes laying around.

2. the part with the doors and so is not in the Cabin, it`s in a underground research faciliy that can be reached via a secret entrance in the cabin (allright, that was a mild spoiler).
The cabin part is rather small, but looks strictly like this:

Quote: "... there are those super modern pressure doors and windows and these simple wooden desks and this old phone? "

You`re absolutely right on that. Perhaps that`s the reason why it felt so "unnatural" to me. Basically it shall reflect a research facility from the 70ies. Will dig that through.

Quote: "One hint would be to use Specular Maps only on these Metalstructures you use...this will make them look less like plastic."

Well, I will have to get the spec shader off the wooden desk. that looks really plastic. however, I`ll keep it watching.Right now I`m scripting the puzzles and adding signs & propaganda posters that hint the player what this all could have been about.

EDIT - PS: Tried now the armory styled door. Doesn`t fit either. WW2 stock stuff doesn`t, too. I guess I`ll use the security door from MP3 and retexture it.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 21:33
Yes, I wouldnt put normal mapping shaders on old wooden things. Leave it for stuff that really needs it or else it'll look like it has rained on everything.

Game looks pretty good, keep it up!

I am Southern, and I love Grits. Feel free to ask me what grits are if your a yankee
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 21:48
Maybe you could retexture the stock prison doors so they have a more modern look to them, to reflect the 70's look. Lke maybe get a metal texture and pop some rivets on it and give it some markings like some faded caution stripes or something like that.
Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 22:24
This reminds me of Resident Evil. A cabin which leads to laboratory . That's a good thing, please don't change it .

The screens are looking simple but effective, just don't reveal too much to keep the interest on.

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 00:05
Quote: "Yes, I wouldnt put normal mapping shaders on old wooden things"

NORMAL yes, but with no spec. Rendering FLAT (no BM/NM) looks always bad except you have something without structure.

Quote: "Maybe you could retexture the stock prison doors so they have a more modern look to them, to reflect the 70's look. "

THX 4 the idea. I`ve now taken M3 sec door. Perhaps I`ll rework it, but it fits pretty well.

Quote: "The screens are looking simple but effective, "

Well, I FIRST need the basic stuff, all architecture, all imortant Props for LM effects, all gameplay, all objects to script and manipulate, all zones and all enemies. IF I`m then still below the 1.85GB limit, I can play around with additional details.

But I`m getting there..

...slowly...

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2011 04:07
Ah okay. I didn't mean it like a way of "too little entities". I actually like the way it looks now but if you are adding extra detail then that's just bonus

I work like that too: Make the basic layout of the level, and if the thing even works, then I'm going to add all the little details here and there.

Hope to see this finished soon. Definately on my Top-5 Must Play FPSC Games-list

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 16:16 Edited at: 16th Feb 2011 16:30
Recorded additional voice overs, now editing bonds AWESOME (!!!!!!!) Filmgrainshader and testing heavily...

(TESTSHOTS, may change heavily)

BSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 17:08
Wow! This looks really impressive. Very good work.

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 17:20
Those screenshots with film grain shader look great!

Everything about this project feels very promising so far.
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 00:26 Edited at: 17th Feb 2011 00:28
Quote: "Those screenshots with film grain shader look great!"

I didn`t like the first ones, but now I figured out slowly how to get better setting. By the way: Although the shader can`t be swapped via scripts ingame, you can affect the filmgrainshaders impact to a certain degree with the Ambience values...

...getting there slowly...

BTW, my girlfriend made me a shiny new compass

OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 01:28
Hey Ertlov, sorry I haven't been on this part of the forums to get to see this. It looks great and can't wait to try it out. Keep up the good work as well as everyone else in their endeavors.

SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 10:42
WOAH! This looks greatly awesome! My only concern is that you're saying spoilers too much! This is one of the only games I have any urge to play, and can't wait until you finish it.

JaredxD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 13:01
Looking awesome, nice job man

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 20:42 Edited at: 19th Feb 2011 20:43
THX 4 feedback!

allright, I`m basically done with level 1 and therefore finished with the scariest game entry. Will polish a little bit the environment and sound levels and some props distribution, but the next thing you will see from this game is a playable.

Untill then, a friendly decayed whishes you a nice weekend...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 01:11 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 01:18
hmm... still struggeling, and even redoing gameplay...

however, it will be ready for the contest. I swear!

Added some details details to cabin part (Who finds the A-bomb on this pic, eh?):

The players char sucks on shooting with Assault rifles. Really.

And there are lot`s of clues that help you find alternate solutions for your challenges...

SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 01:39
Why's the meat like that in the second screenshot? It looks strange.

But otherwise, AWESOME! Keep up the great work.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm liking the design in this Ertlov.
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 05:22
Quote: "NORMAL yes, but with no spec. Rendering FLAT (no BM/NM) looks always bad except you have something without structure."

Debatable
I mean look around you, most wood is pretty much flat - it just looks bad usually to have a normal mapping shader on wood.
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 12:13
Quote: "Why's the meat like that in the second screenshot?"

Placeholder, also I doubt I will make some decent pieces till the deadline is over.

Quote: "I'm liking the design in this Ertlov. "

THX!

Quote: "Debatable
I mean look around you, most wood is pretty much flat"

Yes, when I look at my IKEA furniture. No, when I go into my aunts cabin. Most of the stuff there is made out of very rough planks, and the cabin ingame is almost a 1:1 replica (except the bed and so on...)

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 16:32
It depends on the normalmap, if a very light and undetailed normal map is used, It'll look good.

However: You're scenes look promising If I would bet money, I would bet on you, buddy

-Wolf

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 17:23 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 17:28
Quote: "However: You're scenes look promising If I would bet money, I would bet on you, buddy "

Thanks for the Kudos, but I still believe you`ll come in first.

Reason A: Gameplay & Lenght - My game will be very short, because I´m already struggeling with the memory limit and for each thing I add, I have to optimize another.

Reason B: Usage of custom scripts. I guess you have a TON of them laying around, whili I started with FPSC again some weeks ago - with no assets except the bought / downloaded Media Packs and contributions. I started on monday writing custom scripts for interaction, however, those will be very basic, so I`m pretty limited on the puzzles.

But I managed to include a situation where you have 4 different ways to solve the problem - one of the solution works with explosives and biowaste *g*

Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 17:57
And regarding wood shaders: You are right of course, I tweaked the normals to a point where they look good on almost every light condition. On two spots the surface of the old desks are hit by direct light, making it look too glossy, I guess I´ll tweak that out, too.

But on all other spots wood looks like wood...

...finally

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 20:18 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 20:18
Quote: "Reason B: Usage of custom scripts. I guess you have a TON of them laying around, whili I started with FPSC again some weeks ago - with no assets except the bought / downloaded Media Packs and contributions. I started on monday writing custom scripts for interaction, however, those will be very basic, so I`m pretty limited on the puzzles."

I started with the whole game 5 days ago...I certainly have no time to add tons of custom scripts ...it will be a simple shooter with 2 or 3 "find the key" riddles.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:05:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:05:48