Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / ?'s About Finding Shareware Publishers For My Creations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 14:59
Hello,

Does anybody know where to find some pretty good recognized shareware publishers out there? If you do, can you link me to it or provide phone numbers of the companies? This would be well appreciated. Thank You
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 16:45
good luck
your best option really is to just sell them over the net using paypal or something, i have an email from SCi which outlined all of the possible options for developers of low-end titles.

will try to dig it up be basically outlined self-sales were best.
just a pitty TGC doesn't yet offer such a service.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 21:37
We've thought it about plenty of times, just don't believe there is any real decent money in it and this is afterall a business. The cost of playtesting and ensuring the games are actually completed/work properly, etc is just too much.

But you never know.

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 22:06
Actually Rich, I have this Trailblazer clone/rip-off that I've been working on ...
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 23:53
Your best bet is, as Raven suggested, to do it all yourself. Perhaps pay a webdesigner and developer (*cough*) to give you a professional point of sale and self-publish.

I say we, the DBP community, make our best attempt to revive the "first 10 levels free, full game $20 USD" type business model which was so heavily embraced during the early 90s.

Then again, there is something good on telly right now...

Can I ask you a Question?
What is it?
It's an interrogative form of sentence, used to test knowledge. But that's not important right now.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 03:01
there really isn't a grand deal of money in shareware anymore, one of the most sucessful shareware companies around both of the guys who run it still have part-time work in deadend jobs.

your only real hope is to make something that is just as polished as a professional title i'm afraid. If you can get down to creating a title which is allround good, something that you'd honestly pay money for yourself then try some guys

hopefully in the future TGC will atleast look into offering an online Shareware dept. Although a boxxed copy version would be expensive, hosting a pure online shop for those who either a) can't afford or b) are too young would be a nice solution

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 03:23
Either way, just getting a product published is a good start. Just don't be too concerned about money, or quit your job just because you have something on the market. Once something is out though, you'll at least be able to get some experience in marketing,(through your website, or whatever)and it may help you through future publishers that you have some experience.

Anyway, if you consider self-publishing you could try something like
www.shareit.com (not really professional, but will probebly get the job done.)
or check out(If you're super confident in your product, this is as close to the stores as you can get for an indpendent game developer.)
garagegames.com

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:55:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:55:29