Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkPRINCIPLES Vid tutorials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 14:16
I was looking at a few of these and they are really good, very clear and he goes on quite a bit about what hes doing and why which for me is great as it helps me understand more. I learn better when people say what they are doing AND why, as opposed to just what they are doing. I noticed there are adverts all over the place that say get the dvd's for only £3.99 but i dont know where they are, even the website only links to a few volumes on amazon.com and they are about $20 each, this cant be the one. Surely someone from the uk would have them for sale on an amazon.co.uk site too? I think im getting mixed up. Anyone know whats going on? I think i could learn a fair bit from this guys vids, very detailed.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2011 15:24
I couldn't find the 3.99 versions of the dvd's, just the $20 versions. If these dvds give you significant breakthroughs in understanding then I feel they could be worth spending the money on.

you no doubt know about dark source and hands on dark basic pro books which are available here.
I feel for the price you may get better value per subject from these books and the code source bank. though I do no personally own them yet(I do plan to buy the two dark basic books when I have the spare cash)
whatever works for you is good. Just remember there is free help through the dark basic forum, which for me has been more than helpful. (thank-you everyone) If you get these videos please let us know how you go with them, I may be interested in them too if the value for money is there.
kezzla

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 02:10
As it happens i went and purchased the Hands On Volume 1 today to see if that helps me, i will wait on vol.2 until i think its time to tackle 3d stuff but id like to learn the general principles of how games work exactly and then the syntax and code for running them before tackling 3d as i think thats the right way to do it, even if im not all that interested in 2d and just want to jump in on a 3d game

I managed to pick it up very cheap aswell secondhand from an Amazon vendor, it says its in very good condition so that will do me and it was less than half the price so im pleased with my purchase and i will see how far i get.

I dont suppose anyone knows if it covers (or more specifically volume 2) the stuff in dark ai and dark physics etc as i recently purchased the full Dark Game studio and although i have a long way to go before i start messing with those extensions, it would be nice to know what tutorials/books are out there for learning and taking advantage of all the new commands and bits that those programs offer.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 12:55
I've emailed the author for you, made him aware of this thread.

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 17:13 Edited at: 19th Feb 2011 17:15
i purchased VOL 2 and it dosen't cover any 3rd party plugins like dark shader, dark AI, ect..... it does cover some some built-in ODE physics. if you go to this page http://www.digital-skills.co.uk/darkbasiccontents.html

it tells you what the books cover.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2011 17:51
@seppgirty - Thanks, i will still obviously buy vol 2 when im up to it as i know ill learn something but i guess ill have to search further afield to find excellent tutorials for things like the plugins, no worries.

@BatVink - Thanks, if he gets in touch ill see what the situation is with those videos.

Also slightly off topic i understand but on the back of the envelope my copy of DarkBasic Studio came in is a little return sticker that is addressed to Wigan (really close to me), is that where the game creators are based? If so then nice to know your a bunch of local boys
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 02:39 Edited at: 20th Feb 2011 02:40
Hi, Batvink let me me know about this thread.

Thanks for your interest in my tutorials. The DVD based tutorials are only sold via amazon.com site, and I've never released them for just £3.99 because short run prints are extremely expensive, and I'm extremely unlikely to sell more than 500 copies a month to get any kind of high return per copy, at the moment I'm lucky if I make $5 per copy sold.

There's no version on the UK amazon website, because the number of people purchasing from that site was too low to justify the additional expenses involved. So at presant I'm only selling through the .com amazon site.
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2011 15:18
Thanks very much for the info. And once more thanks for the tutorials, they way you go into detail about pretty much everything you do is whats giving me the insight to know more about what is happening. You have a unique style and it works for me. Keep up the good work, its inspiring to noobs like me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:22:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:22:51