Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / sky sphere alternative

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 22:19
sky spheres are too many polygons, an alternative would be a sprite drawn behind the 3d stuff, but that would mean you can't have other 2D stuff like buttons because they get drawn behind as well...any remedies for this?

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2003 22:44 Edited at: 10th Oct 2003 22:46
How about a skybox instead? With the appropriate texture they can look as good as a skysphere ... and they only have 12 polys too.
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 20:14
I use skyboxes
I create their textures with terragen which is currently free to download from their site
i searched google to find a script for terragen to make a seamless 6 pictures for the skybox
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 22:07
yes but I will be needing a really big skybox because my matrix might be 100000 units... won't the polys increase a lot or will it still be fine?

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 23:02
you'll need a bigger texture me thinks, but the ploy's shouldn't increase, however having a skybox all around that matrix isn't necessary and it also means the player can touch the edge of your sky so if you make a smaller skybox but position at the players coordinates every loop, they are always surrounded by sky... yay!

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 00:46
you mean surround the player object and camera by the sky box and move it with them?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 01:01
Thats what he means
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 07:10
Ya dont make the sky so huge or your gonna have to have a really big BMP and high res for each plain on the sky box. Thats just gonna slow you down a lot. Instead I would do this.

Position the center of the skybox at the object coordinates (so the player is always in the center of the skybox and it moves with the object)

Set the fog on so you cant see those nasty lines where the skybox hits the matrix

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
We need a texture artist!
If your interested email me - Johnrocs@aol.com
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 18:48
but won't it be very obvious that there's a sky box around you? I mena it'll block out buildings and stuff behind it...
Would a sprite behind the 3D slow down the thing more than a big skybox?

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 19:35
skybox is the way to go, if you make it big enough so the buildings don't just suddenly appear but small enough so the texture doesn't have to be massive for it to look good then it'll be fine

koolaid 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2003 02:02
hmm never heard of moving the skybox with the player cause at one point youll get to the edge of it which wouldnt look good if you move it say you walk to the edge the edge of the sky box want cover the matrix youll see the backdrop?

KOOLAID
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 02:11
I always move position skysphere with to my camera position. I will check out the terragon to see if I can make a some nice textures, thanks Chris. Maybe I will try a skybox instead of a skysphere.

Xander - Bolt Software

It doesn't matter if it is confusing, as long as it works
KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 04:32 Edited at: 16th Oct 2003 04:32
Alternatively you could use COPY BITMAP to paste a background bitmap to the 3D backdrop. Just load your background image into an offscreen bitmap (BITMAP 1 for example) and then use COPY BITMAP 1,0.

You could even use a lower resolution bitmap and scale it up as needed and it would always be behind your 3D objects. And if you're really ambitious you could scroll your background bitmap with the movement of the player or camera.

http://www.canceriannewmedia.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 06:19:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 06:19:00