Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / XGUI, eXtends, Vista, Windows7 - let's get it fixed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 03:52
Freddix,

If you are still active on the boards, I'd be willing to help you out with getting eXtend's XGUI fixed so that it doesn't crash on Vista or Windows 7. I've got a Windows Vista Home Premium that I can do testing on or try out code for you on.

Currently the xgui example included with eXtends crashes on my Vista machine unless I set it to "Windows 98 Compatibility Mode".

Thanks!

Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 16:55
I e-mailed Freddix and asked him if he was still supporting eXtends or willing to help with this.

He responded saying that he no longer owned any rights to the code or profit derived from it and that he was having to work so much on his day job that he had no more time to develop anything anyway, and that TGC were wholly responsible for future updates.

So, we have to ask TGC.
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 18:27
I asked TGC, and this is the response I got:

Date: Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: XGUI fix in eXtends for Vista/Win7 ?
To: Darrel Cusey <darrelcusey@gmail.com>

Hi Darrel,

I am not the author of Extends, so you will need to contact the author to see if they can address your specific points. I don't use extends personally and tend to stick with the core language for the most part

Best Regards,
Lee.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 19:45 Edited at: 26th Feb 2011 19:46
Hello.

I'm sorry concerning issues with eXtends under Windows VISTA & 7.
I'd like to remind all of eXtends users that when I developed this products (and all other products like 2DPluginKIT, XQuadEditor, PurePLUGIN) were designed under Windows XP. I did not have Vista nor 7 ( 7 Wasn't yet available) and it was impossible for me to correctly fix issues under these OS ...
That's why I designed them for Windows XP only.

Odyssey-Creators died for lack of sales (and more to this, I only had sales on TheGameCreators website, nope on Odyssey-Creators one meaning less money) ... I was then obliged to resell all the Odyssey-Creators product to TheGameCreators (Thanks to TheGameCreators for this because they helped me a lot !!!) to pay taxes, social charges concerning the company ( because in France, even if you win less, you myst pay taxes.

Result. It makes me 2 long year to prepare the creation of Odyssey-Creators and experience result in a negative feeling (especially concerning France and the way it handle small companies) ... And the fact that now, 2 years after .. I'm not yet financially "recovered" from what it costed me.

Due to all of theses states/facts, I decided to "forget" and start something new. I've understood that on PC computers, quasily all kind of softwares exists and it's really difficult and need heavy ressources to build something that can make the difference. So, I've stopped development on PC Windows...

I'm sorry for all that like these products but it makes now more than 2 years I've not touched the sources codes and I'm not sure that I always have a copy of these ... and, with the financials situation not yet fully recovered (my wife lost his job 1 year ago, adding to difficulties, the fact that it's hard these days to find job in France), I have much work to win a bit more to be sure we can "continue" without heavy difficulties... and then I have no time to restart development on PC.

The only project on which I am is now on Amiga OS 4.1 a "new" platform where these kind of products does not exist. It's a better pleasure and now, the development is more a "hobby" than an attempt to make it becoming a "full time" job. (maybe I was only a dreamer thinking it may be possible ...) ...

I apology for all people deceived with this answer ... but past is past ...

I wish you all the best.

Kindest Regards
Frédéric Cordier aka Freddix
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2011 02:26
So, it appears that:
Lee is both busy and unfamiliar with the code.
Freddix has moved on to other things for financial reasons.

That means that eXtends is abandonware unless someone can convince TGC to let them adopt it and support it (Probably for free).

This thread mentions that it was made with Purebasic:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=165232&b=18

So, someone with Purebasic experience needs to convince Lee that they can fix it, else it is worthless.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 13:21 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 13:24
TGC needs to fix it or release it as open source.

I bought the bonanza pack because it had xgui and it fails to work on windows vista/7. It sucks. This is why I switched to PureBasic (which admittedly has some of it's own problems I've had to work around, but it mostly works as expected.)

I don't blame freddix either, he was kind enough to sell it to someone to keep it going, I think that's pretty cool.

I think it's a shame TGC continues to sell something that doesn't work and they don't fix it.

[center]
Join the TGC Group!
http://tehcodez.groups.live.com
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 13:43
@Jerico2day

Here's The Game Creators response to a ticket I opened on the subject:
Quote: "I understand and apologise for the issue you are having with the eXtends plugin. This plugin was not written by TGC originally, it was developed by http://www.odyssey-creators.com/ the game creators later acquired the rights before Windows Vista was officially released. We have requested several times that the author in question repair the bug, but so far no progress has been made on that front. Because of the unusual tools and langauges used in the plugin's construction it may simply not be possible to repair these problems.

For this reason we advise users that eXtends and any product based on it (for example xQuad) is an XP compatible plugin only."

What I get from that and the other responses that we've had, is that TGC can't fix it because they aren't PureBasic coders.

So... You're a PureBasic coder, eh?
Interesting...

Perhaps you should make them an offer?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 15:48 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 16:40
It's a thought I entertained, but I could probably just write my own plugin and take all the money.

I actually have a gui system up and running in PB already wrapping the existing PB functions, so it's more flexible. I could remove the PB specific gui function calls and write something that works in DBP and doesn't go against the license for PB.

That said, it would take a bit of work to make it dbp compatible and probably wouldn't be all that profitable for me, in terms of time to put into it vs money to get out of it.

If I could get 50 people to commit 50 bucks to the project I would consider it. And actually, demand might be high enough. I don't know what kind of customer base TGC has that actually pays out for plugins.

As for the existing project, I fear it would take just as long to familiarize myself with it as to start from scratch.

I would have plenty of time to familiarize myself with the code, but actually coding and testing I'd only have a good hour or two a week, so I dunno. I'd be willing to consider an offer if TGC is interested.

[center]
Join the TGC Group!
http://tehcodez.groups.live.com
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 16:46 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 16:47
@Jerico2Day,

You could always create a Work in Progress thread to gauge people's interest. If you built a DLL that could just create a window and a button (all hard-code), you could get people to test it under Vista and Windows7. The TGC community is pretty good about testing out people's code/dlls -- so I think you could get a lot of people to help you out in that area. I certainly would

Edit: Always nice to mean another Minecraft addi... um, ur, I mean fan. Ooooh Diamonds!

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 14:50
Hi.

I've found some time last week to compile eXtends with the latest PureBASIC build... But, with this, some components of the plugins do no more function.
I'll try to get a look at these next saturday.

I promess nothing but if I can get it running with the latest PureBASIC, I'll send the files to TheGameCreators to release an update 1.5.2 of the plugin.
I hope that using a newer PureBASIC build to compile it will fix the windows VISTA / 7 issues ...

Regards,
Frédéric Cordier
http://www.odyssey-creators.com
http://www.amidark-engine.com
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 16:55 Edited at: 16th Mar 2011 17:45
Thank you Freddix.
I really appreciate your help.

EDIT: I looked at your new website. Your new engine looks like it will be very interesting when you finish with it.
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 01:10
That's very kind of you Freddix! I'm wishing you luck

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 15:39
Thanks Freddix!

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 00:09:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 00:09:56