Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / GRRR! No fighting games whatsoever!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When are any of the hundreds of people who program in Darkbasic gonna realize that this genre exists, and some of us fans would greatly appreciate it.

I know, I know. The first respons is gonna be: "PROGRAM IT YOURSELF, YOU MORON." Well, let me first say: I have a life, and am taking rather careful steps in deciding what my next project's gonna be like. It would be helpful to see someone else's finished inspiration for this genre. Plus, I am a bad artist who'd probably make something that looked like a guy with tron-discuses for a chest instead of fighting-abs.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 07:05 Edited at: 11th Oct 2003 07:08
Oh, I'm so sorry, but I have a life, and I'm carefully planning my projects.

I guess I shouldn't have wasted all that time reading books on game design, and programming. Then, I'd have that fighting game done for you.

COME ON MAN!!!!
Did you even think before you posted?

Quote: "would be helpful to see someone else's finished inspiration for this genre."

Again, I'm so sorry.

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=17840&b=8

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope, I didn't . I think I'm going to put my last cup of coffee down and finally go to bed. No, the truth is I don't have a life and now I turning into a friggin' butthead this late at night.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 11:56
this is clearly a post thats based on ignorance and driven by caffeine

If you take a look around theres one by lampton worm being created in 3d.

There have been a few in 2d like street fighter ages ago when I first started DBC at version 1.06 and one of them is still listed in code at dbtoolz.50megs.com

although its not something you would want to embark on straight away
it is possible.

I nearly locked this thread but I hope the next input northern star makes might be a little less agrovated and less misinformed.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 12:16
IMO fighter games are much harder than normal games due to the collision / combos etc. imvolved.

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 14:07
I made one 8 years ago, but it wasn't with DarkBASIC, but Qbasic. It was not made with good graphics, because the head was a circle with a line and two circles in it. (The opponent had a square-head).
And there was no need for combo, you could had fun when you were two : the goal wasto press the buttons as fast as possible.

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to see a fighting game too. Once I can model and animate humans I think it will be on my list as a modeller, but not a programmer.

Pincho.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 15:41
Retro Fighter was good (and made in DB) and Warriors Mind too, although not sure how far that got.

Cheers,

Rich

The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Your brain's just like any other appliance: it works better if you plug it in...
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 16:15
I made a fighting game in Dark Basic before. It was a 2d fighter, horrible graphics, and 2 (3 if you count the bug) move. The moves were punch, kick, and if you held punch when you hit your opponent, you would start to choke him.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 18:27 Edited at: 11th Oct 2003 18:28
LOL ! funny ..... I have a few models designed for a one-on-one fighting style game + some background models too.

Once I have everything I need ( including animations ) I'll be on the hunt for a coder, cos I ain't no good at that

I was thinking of multiplayer only where two people choose a character to fight with + a few others can spectate and watch them fight in a pit.

Was gonna call it "FLAME WARS" if ya know what I mean ?

But I'm gonna wait till I have everything graphical complete.

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 19:54
Yeah warrior mind was a good game, you should try and find it.

www.dreamcodersrealm.com i think

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 19:55
oh well domain dont work.

anyone know another place to get it from?

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 21:20
@Northern_Fist

People make the games that they want to make, not the games that you want made. Having said that, there are a few, you just need to look harder

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 00:53
Warriors Mind... a sad story. I'm pretty certain that they got ripped off by the same jerks who ripped of king with Freeform... you can still buy the game, but I haven't heard anything from the developers since. They were such pleasent people, too

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
(Northern Fist looks back at his ass-nine post with regret )

For what it's worth, I sincerely apologize for my utter rudeness; I was also rather flaked out because of a developing illness that I am currently fighting (flu/cold). A better way of beginning this thread SHOULD HAVE BEEN: "Fighting games are cool. It would be kinda cool to make one with DarkBasic..."

On a positive note, Warrior's Mind did look like a game, but it seems to have dissapeared for some reason.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 01:23
It's a molehill next to the mountains of idiotic posts I've made in the past, Northern_Fist .

If anyone can find out how to contact dreamcodersrealm, I'd much appreciate it .

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Simple,
I have a pretty good base layed out for a fighting game already. If you are ever seriously interested in trying to put together a fighting game with your models, let me know. I'd be happy to work with you

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 02:53
Yeah, I'll be looking into it in a few months ... just as soon as I finish what I'm doing now and have a few more models made for it etc.

I won't be doing any coding though ( does my head in )

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 20:04
We´re making a 2D fighting game (that´s me and my brother). It´s a street fighter rip off. It´s going to have 6 characters and 6 scenes. We´ve finished all the animations for two of the characters. Which include punch, kick, crouch punch, crouch kick, air kick/punch, block, getting hit, falling down and getting up. Oh and the blast move.
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Simple,
I could definately take care of all of the programming. To be a little more clear, I have *most* of the cose already written for a fighting game. It is based on limbed models but could be easily modified to support single meshes.
I've got a couple of awesome ideas. Drop me an e-mail if you think you'd want to work together. ron@ericksonline.com

WOLF

HOOOWWWLLL!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 16:42:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 16:42:00