Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Colony Defender

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Health bars would not fit into this environment, but the smoke is a good idea. I did notice the smoke over the colony, it's a good effect. I also liked the fireworks at the end of the levels very much.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 00:44 Edited at: 7th Jun 2011 00:45
Hey people, just wanted to give a small update on the development:

* I'm about to finish this up and put it on AppUp! I want to get it done, so I can put all my effort on a new big game project that I have already started.

* Therefore a few features that I wanted to add won't make it into the final release (like more types of ammo, some special effects, online highscores,...). All the fine tuning just would take too much time.

* But I've fixed a dozen bugs (visual ones and gameplay related).

* The single player campaign now actually makes sense and is a lot more fun and challenging.

* I think I'll need about a week to implement all the AppUp related stuff, pack the whole thing together and create a little trailer. And then it's about time for my first release of a complete game!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 10:48
Great news! If you need any help getting your game on AppUp just ask here: AppUp DBP Developers Group

OldPMan
TGC Store Seller
Years of Service
User Offline
Yesterday, download and run. Showed my son, he liked that morning he woke up and asked to shoot balls at the planes. Its age is 5 years. He really liked it. That's just it seemed to me that the power indicator shot slightly inconvenient location and I really wanted it to be right on the gun, or somewhere nearby. I also noticed a marked decrease in FPS during the transition to the next level during the fireworks . But overall I really liked it.

.....already beside.....
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 01:59
@baxslash
Thanks for the hint! I'll definitly get in contact with you guys in the AppUp group when I'm ready!

@RUSSIA
Thanks! I'm glad you and especially your 5 year old son liked it! About the power indicator: You're right, but I tried to arrange the interface similar to most action games (health in the bottom left, weapon in the bottom right). I don't think that I will change it as I'm close to release, but maybe in a potential sequel...

By the way, I played it at university today to show it to some friends and suddenly a group of people gathered behind me, that seemed to be pretty interested! That made me so proud

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 02:10
This is really nice. Got stuck on level 4 though- could hear a flying enemy off screen to the left, indicated by an arrow but they never came on screen for me to shoot them.

Might be easier to play if had left, right, q,w or something. up/down for rotate is hard to get my head around.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 02:28
I'm glad you like it!

Quote: "could hear a flying enemy off screen to the left, indicated by an arrow but they never came on screen for me to shoot them"

Yeah that's one of bugs that was in the last release, got it fixed now. Also you don't have to play so long to see the first airplane anymore

About the controls:
Ok, but I thought using arrow keys was the most accessible for most players... Did you now you can control with the mouse too?
Also the controls have changed a bit. Now up and down is always relative to the direction your facing.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 19:43 Edited at: 18th Jun 2011 19:44
Ok, I'm in the final stretches now!
Just a few questions that I have:

1) Do you prefer inverted aiming when pitching the canon up and down? (e.g. press up -> aim down, press down -> aim up)

2) I noticed that the background music (menu and in-game) did not play at all on a test machine! Did anybody who tested the beta version not hear the music?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 21:39
Very neat . The visuals and aesthetic are perfect. I played until somewhere in stage 4 when I got the same bug as Dr. Tank. The background music played fine for me (Windows 7 64-bit Dell Studio).

The cannon controls were annoying at first but tolerable. I might suggest that they could be improved by making them a side-to-side motion so there is no confusion about which way the barrel is going to go (for example, instead of Up and Down use A and D to aim, A rotating the cannon toward the left, D toward the right). In the end, I don't think you can do much better, though.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 00:30 Edited at: 7th Jul 2011 00:31
- COLONY DEFENDER IS FINALLY AVAILABLE ON THE INTEL APPUP STORE! -

Check it out now!

MOD REQUEST:
Now that this game is published, I think the right place for this thread is the Program Announcements thread. Please move it there. Thanks!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 01:03
Congratualtions Pauli, it's alot of work and a great achievement to get a game finished and published. On top of that its such a polished and good looking game.

I'm sorry I never got around to testing it more than I did. I imagine I will have a netbook one day soon, I will be sure to buy this game.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 01:22
Thanks for your kind words Matty!
Looks like we both are on a good way to become real devs one day (didn't have time to check out your new plugin yet, but it looks very useful btw)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 10:34
Quote: "I imagine I will have a netbook one day soon, I will be sure to buy this game."

Contrary to popular belief AppUp is not just for netbooks. I even got it working on Vista (my home desktop) which is supposedly unsupported...

It's a great game and I'd like to review it for the ADG article in the next newsletter drop me an email if you're interested.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 11:24
Quote: "Contrary to popular belief AppUp is not just for netbooks."

Yeah, I had AppUp on my XP desktop before it broke, now I just have my Vista laptop, which can't run AppUp, unless something has changed.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 11:32
Quote: "Yeah, I had AppUp on my XP desktop before it broke, now I just have my Vista laptop, which can't run AppUp, unless something has changed."

Just run the installer using Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode and make sure the shortcut is set to Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode too. It should run OK, does for me

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 16:41
Quote: "It's a great game and I'd like to review it for the ADG article in the next newsletter drop me an email if you're interested."

That's great! Email sent.

@ Everyone:

I won't be able to respond to anything for the next 3-4 days, because I'm at a super awesome music festival!
(To anyone who cares: it's the Frauenfeld Festival in Switzerland, incredible line-up, I'm super excited)

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 01:46
So did you end up selling this game, _Pauli_? If you did, how much were you selling it for? How many buys did you get? Do you get all the money from the sales or does some of it go to the AppUp people?

I'm just asking because I'm considering selling a really cool game I'm making. I'll be posting a WIP soon, but first I have to finish my new plugin for DBPro which I'm also selling. It's called Dark Resource. Look out for it sometime within the next month or so on the TGC main website.

I watched the video and it looks really good

Clonkex

Never lie -- The government doesn't like the competition.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 512mb, 1gb ram.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 21:33 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 21:34
Quote: "So did you end up selling this game, _Pauli_?"

Yes, it's published through the Intel AppUp Store. The pricing is 1,99$.

Great to hear that you want to get a game out too! You can allways reach out to The AppUp Developers Group (at the DBPro board) for help and lots of information!
I don't want to report sales figures at this point, but don't expect too much Be happy if your first game does well enough to compensate the price of the commercial licence
The real satisfaction comes with actualy seeing a finished product that you've put so much work into being out there on the web for others to play.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 00:43 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 00:44
Quote: "Yes, it's published through the Intel AppUp Store. The pricing is 1,99$."

Good work

Quote: "I don't want to report sales figures at this point, but don't expect too much"

Oh no, I would certainly not expect to make much money from it. I actually just finished looking at the AppUp site. It's a bit confusing but I finally discovered where I would go when my game is finished. But it costs nearly $100 a year....oh well, maybe when I've got my game finished I'll look into it some more.

Quote: "The real satisfaction comes with actualy seeing a finished product that you've put so much work into being out there on the web for others to play."

I know! I've sent a new plugin I've been developing to Lee and Rick to see what they think. It's called Dark Resource, and you should see it released sometime in the not-too-distant future (hopefully ).

Clonkex

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 00:54
Quote: "But it costs nearly $100 a year..."

I think if you join now it's still free for the first year!

Quote: "Dark Resource"

I wonder what it is good for! Glad you got it done and ready for sale!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 01:00
Quote: "I think if you join now it's still free for the first year!"

Yes, but I've been working on Dark Resource recently and have only just started my game, so there's no point joining just yet. Maybe I will have it finished soon enough. The main problem now is I've got two projects going. The little AppUp game and my new Rift game (see here). I'm putting most of my time into Rift. Check it out and comment on it

Clonkex

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 10:27
Quote: "I think if you join now it's still free for the first year!"

It is, and you can get a free code signing certificate too... just go to the TGC AppUp Developers Group sticky in the DBPro board to find out more.

Let me know if you need any help with that AppUp game Clonkex!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 02:54
Quote: "Let me know if you need any help with that AppUp game Clonkex!"

Thanks, will do!

Clonkex

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:56:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:56:24