Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Quake2 Evolved

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 12:56
Blur Team

been checking out some new things this week and something posted up last night on planetquake was this
certainly does make Q2 look just gorgeous ... (^_^)
currently there isn't any media to show off what the engine is actually capable of, but never the less it looks beutiful and even better is that it plays bloody fast.

just goes to show that even with low polycounts and small skin sizes you can still make games look dam good... favourite updates have to be the upgraded rocket and rail effects - definately nice!

if you want to use the demo version of Q2, install the 3.20 update then on the main screen bring down the console and type
]map demo1

and it should start fine ... or create a new directory called Demo and copy the data before updating and use it as a mod

on the site they show some nice fog effects, however unfortunately i've not seen them inengine sadly
its a pitty cause it looks extremely nice

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2003 22:10
do you think it is possible for them to make it as good as Q3A?

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 03:09
well i've been playing this with my bro today... and the multiplayer is similar - infact the whole game seems to be very very similar to Quake3.

Although the models and textures are currently low grade (128x128x8)
the Blur team are working on higher poly models ad textures to give the graphics a good old boost into the new millennia.
Not seen what is planned yet, but with the options in the video memory i would say they're planning some major updates level and model format wise

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 09:16
The nice thing about a powerful engine with low detail objects & textures is that it often runs quite well on older computers and gives the same quality of effect... but it's a lot easier for game developers to beef up texture and model detail than to work hard on their game engine.

Not to say that 32x32 textures will pass for 512x512 ones if your engine is good enough, of course

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 09:30
yeah is a refreshing change to see an engine worked on, especially in the case of this which unlike Tenebrae isn't trying to rely 100% on hardware capabilities, makes it a much faster and enjoyable game if you ask me

some of the effects are just awesome in it though, like the hyperblaster ... when you hit a wall it's blast will turn into several glowing particles. And because of the use of decal mapping for the light rather than a light source or shadowing it make it far faster.

the game actually runs pretty comperably speedwise to Quake2 OpenGL, have the graphics jacked up to 1600x1200x32 for both with FSAA4x AF8x TS ... and the game drops about 25fps with the full graphics on, but still runs at a very respectible 210fps on my crappy duron800 w/fx5200 system

for some reason if i turn the alpha shadows on that drops to around 40fps, i'm not entirely sure why ... but its a crap effect anyways so i just use solid.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 10:06
Wish I could try it, but I don't own Quake 2 . I suppose it might be worth buying just for the mods, and testing... it's not like a game developer can get away NOT knowing everything about it these days

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2003 12:48
i don't have Quake2 either... but quake's ability to be modded is also its biggest weakness hehee

1) download the Quake2 demo available here 36.2mb
2) download the 3.20 patch available here 18.6mb (light patch here 5.8mb)
3) download Quake2 Evolved available here 10.9mb

if you want to play Single Player then you'll have to do
tidel key to bring down the console and type
]map demo1

and it'll start from demo1 level, else you can copy the baseq2 into a new folder you name Demo and then load as a Modification
eitherway it works well...

i lost Q2 a long time ago at college, been using the demo ever since. It's annoying cause it doesn't have the full textures so alot of the mods won't show the textures - but there has been enough to keep me happy playing over the lan

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 08:21
There's one question I want to know though: Why?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 09:38
why what?
why create a new engine based on Q2?
well checkout the site what they want to do is bring Quake2 upto date to not like Doom3 have all the fun
When you combine this with Quake2's pretty quick and cool Multiplayer abilities, it makes it a pretty solid gameplay engine and the update of graphics. Considering that there are just so many Quake2 tools out there it makes it a pretty cool engine to update

side Quake3 isn't GPL yet so we can't tinker with it

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 10:03
Seem pretty silly to me. But that's just me.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 10:17
perhaps, but to guys who love to develop there is nothing better than to create something than for the pure challenge.

and if it shows up the big boys then thats just bonus points really
Q2 Evolved imo is what Quake3 should've been, if they added a new model format support and definately will be something good and versitile - even better as it'll support a HUGE range of systems

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 13:41
I must say that this Q2E engine looks cool....the graphics look great - i want to use it in DB Pro!!!

I want to make an fps engine in Pro - but where to start?

"It's amazin' what you can do with a computer and access to t'internet"
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 15:59
Quote: "I want to make an fps engine in Pro - but where to start?
"

Check the Tutorial that came with Pro or, ask me, I've been working on one as well as a Zone of the Enders like engine.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 20:37
Hi NWC - Id been meaning to ask you actually after you told Uberwigget RobX about it.... your Dark Trek thread.

That engine looked cool and I wondered if you could give me any pointers?

Hopefully if the portal system for U6 works good then I plan to use big .x levels.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 20:41
Sorry, BTW I dont have Pro just yet, hope to order it very soon (next few weeks) but thats what I plan to make it in, meanwhile Im messin with ideas in Classic.

Plus I hpe to implement a scripting system, decent AI and cool effects such as flares on lights, torchbeams, particles etc...

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 20:44
Quote: "That engine looked cool and I wondered if you could give me any pointers?
"

Hmm, not sure, never actually completed a FPS yet. Just made an camera and collision engine. Heh, but I can give you some pointers on what I would use for collision.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 20:46
Yep, collisions a biggie, any help on that would be grand thanks

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 20:50
Polygon collision for 3 object, one for the entire levels floor, one for the entire levels walls, one for the entire levels ceiling. If you collide with the floor, it pushes you up unti you dont collide with it anymore. If you collide with the walls, reset your x and z position before the collision happened. WIth the ceiling, push the object down until it doesnt collide anymore. Simple, yes. Also, run it in windowed full screen if you have pro, much faster.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2003 20:56
Very clever.... I'll keep that technique in mind... thanks very much.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 16:26:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 16:26:42