Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Which is Better DBPRO or GDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 05:17
I was wondering I have never used GDK but I do use DBPRO. Any suggestions on which is better before I make my decision?
Thanks.

The Modder... Unleashed,

God help me, Please.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2011 14:12
DBPro is a great and powerful language and a lot can be done with it beyond a lot of other basic programming languages. It easier to learn and understand than c++ and so much quicker to develop games, programs and software with.

However c++ opens up a whole new world of programming because of its power. It takes a long time to learn, and even then you have to teach yourself more along the way. When you are writing your code, you are prone to typos and silly mistakes that you don't get in DBPro.

Also using c++ with the GDK has really only a slight increase in speed of your programs, but on the plus side, you can write in c++ intense calculation code.

I would say to anyone, if you do not know c++ or still on the beginning learning curve level then start with DBPro. It has all the power of the direct x libraries and gets you in good stead. A lot of excellent software has been written in DBPro so no-one should knock it in anyway.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 00:39 Edited at: 6th Mar 2011 00:41
i started with c++ and i tell you this. once you know how to program and master any language, you will learn others in a really fast way. i recommend you use Dark GDK right away, there are tons of examples on the internet, its one of the most powerfull languages out there, also one of the fastest, has a ton of libraries. And i also forgot to mention that most commercial games out there are made in c++ (because of the performance)

the only language i knew before c++ was Java, then i tried basic, python, C#, etc and most of the logic will remain the same, only changes are the syntax, and of course, some languages have their advantages like oop, etc, but comparing these two id go for c++ darkgdk

hi
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 04:18
Quote: "DBPro is a great and powerful language and a lot can be done with it beyond a lot of other basic programming languages"

Like what? As far as BASIC dialects go, DBPro is rather un-powerful, as it lacks many features.

Quote: "When you are writing your code, you are prone to typos and silly mistakes that you don't get in DBPro."

C++ makes you more prone to typos???

Quote: "Also using c++ with the GDK has really only a slight increase in speed of your programs"

By slight, you mean several times faster for a proper game, or anything that runs a lot of code.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 14:47 Edited at: 7th Mar 2011 14:48
For the language(s) alone, GDK. Even if you're using a higher level language like C# you'll notice a performance increase, as well as better maintainability.

Quote: "When you are writing your code, you are prone to typos and silly mistakes that you don't get in DBPro."

It's true that the syntax is more complex, and coming from an environment like BASIC you will make more mistakes, but in the long run the case-sensitivity and need to explicitly declare variables means you'll write cleaner, more consistent code that is less error-prone.

Support a charitable indie game project!
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 17:50 Edited at: 7th Mar 2011 17:56
Quote: "i recommend you use Dark GDK right away, there are tons of examples on the internet, "

what i meant was c++ has tons of examples, one of the most powerfull languages etc. C++ and DarkGDK is the best way to go. try running the same examples built with different languages and you will see for yourself, that GDK has tons of more fps.

hi
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 05:18
I think that I will try GDK.

God help me, Please.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 03:29:48
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 03:29:48