Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / why no more updates....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i have searched....but how come x10 is not supported anymore..it seems weird to update version x9 but not version 10....as 10 has more posibilities with shader model 4 and no memory cap and graphics done on gpu rather than cpu....
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 02:52
I don't really understand it either but my sense is that it is a business decision based on the fact that existing users didn't make the switch. Almost all of the community support is based around x9 (mods, custom scripts, shaders, etc.).

It's really unfortunate but understandable since it the two versions aren't compatible. Also, I have heard that the code base for x10 is..umm...a bit of a mess.

What I'd like to know: What is the next step? Can't really hang onto a direct x9 engine forever.

With free versions of Unity and UDK available and increasingly accessible to non-programmers, I'm just wondering where this all heading.

My two cents....
FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 20:17
Yes they will keep supporting x9 until the time comes where direct x9 will be redundant I just hope that time is not too far away...

Mass Effect 2 is better than everything else
firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
yes its a shame as direct x10 has so more poseblities....and most computers come with either vista or windows 7...i have both versions x9 and x10 and so stuck which one to use..do i use x9 with a mod or x10 with mystic mod which gives me x2 map size which i need for my project....i understand keeping both x9 and x10 updating is not good from a company point of view...how stable is version 1.11 of fps version 10?...
dustofdeath
Years of Service
User Offline
OH and i was wonderign why the update says that there is no new updates past 1.11 tho iv seen talks about 1.18 alot aroudn here -_-

just wow...

Is visual difference (gfx) hughe between x10 1.11 and the x9 1.18?

Does x10 even use any dx10 features (like particles instead of images for smoke,muzzle flashes etc) - and support for physicx?
firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
version update for fpsc x10 is 1.11 and the version 1.18 beta is for fpsc x9..if that clears it up for you..and yes x10 uses direct x10 features but the stock models and most media that comes with it does not use the full potential of direct x10..
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 20:14
Quote: "Is visual difference (gfx) hughe between x10 1.11 and the x9 1.18?"

This is no game, this is a development platform. Graphics are YOU'RE Job and are not related to FPSC in any way.

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
i agree i was just saying some of the stock models dont use the full potential of direct x10....but to be honest your probably not going to get crysis graphics as most full blown commercial games made for consoles or pc have massive teams and a massive budget aswell....but thats not saying you cant get amazing graphics...
dustofdeath
Years of Service
User Offline
i know the models,textures are for developer.. .but does it have a real support as a engine for the major dx10 features - specially since x10 is closed source so no mods.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2011 22:17
It's true, the graphics aren't really down to the engine so much as the media itself. While FPSC X10 may have better shader support, FPSC X9 can still handle the same kind of media, just that you won't have the nice effects like bloom and per-pixel lighting (does FPSC X10 have this? I'm not sure). Polygon count should give about the same performance with both engines, unless I'm mistaken.

Quote: "This is no game, this is a development platform. Graphics are YOU'RE Job and are not related to FPSC in any way."

I don't usually point this out to people here but "you're" = "you are".

Support a charitable indie game project!
firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
also with mystic mod you get x2 map size and x10 is down to your graphics card not ram..i think x9 has a memory cap if im not mistaken..so u can only build levels upto 1.4 gb..not to sure on that so don't quote me...
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 00:04
i am sat with my credit card in hand wondering whether i should buy x10. I have used x9 and am very impressed with the software, it is very well built and very easy to use. But, i really like the look of x10. I need someone to tell me, pathologically, if it is worth me parting with my pennies?!

All answers are appreciated.

Jay
Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 01:28 Edited at: 11th Mar 2011 01:33
Quote: "i think x9 has a memory cap if im not mistaken"

It's a 32-Bit limitation that applies to FPS Creator x10 as well, the "memory cap" in FPSC is just an optional helper that stops building the game when around 1.85 gb of memory is consumed.

It can be turned off though, but that means, whenever more than 2 GB is consumed, the application may crash - and this is not a FPS Creator only problem, but a general 32-Bit application problem.

So: there are no differences between the x9 and x10 FPS Creator in terms of "memory cap".

Quote: "also with mystic mod you get x2 map size"

Which is useless since FPS Creator isn't optimized to support such a map size, heck, it isn't even optimized enough to support the current grid - so why bother with making it even bigger when the engine's simply not powerful enough?

-Doomster

firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 16:56 Edited at: 12th Mar 2011 00:10
yes but x10 uses your gpu rather than cpu....so you have 1.85gb per level on gpu on x10 rather than a mix of cpu and gpu 1.85gb on x9...is there away to make x10 64 bit with no limit on memory like a patch of some sort? thats stable?..
firelord
Years of Service
User Offline
unfamillia my advice is buy x10 as you can download x9 free version and use the x10 serial to activate x9 free...so you get both for the price of one....
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 01:08
Quote: "Which is useless since FPS Creator isn't optimized to support such a map size, heck, it isn't even optimized enough to support the current grid - so why bother with making it even bigger when the engine's simply not powerful enough?"

x10 is much more optimized...because of GPU instancing. It can handle a quite large map.

I reject your stereotype of Wisconsin and, in fact, live in a city.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:47:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:47:48