Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D Terrain Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I just bought the DarkStudio Package with aditional licenses of L3DTPro. However I cannot find a decent workflow between the two.
I export a heightmap as a bmp and load it via the make terrain command. However, no matter what heightmap I use, the terrain is still hilly and very very stretched out. Am I doing something wrong? Can I also import an .x mesh of the same terrain, and if so, how could you texture it by loosing the texture terrain command?
Kamakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 08:00
Hi Alkerak...

I am fairly new my self having bought the DarkGAME Studio as well. I am not familiar with working with the terrain areas of the language yet, but I have noticed in the projects I've worked on that things can get stretched if the screen mode set in the DarkBASIC Pro properties tab and in your code are not set properly. You might try setting the display properties under the Properties Tab and see what that does. I have also noticed that if the images are done in, let's say for example, 800x600 and are displayed on a computer with a widescreen display that the images can become stretched as well. I'm not sure if this will help, but it is something that I noticed that might be of help.
Alkerak
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Kamakazi

I figured it out.
I know how to set the resolution of the screen.
This was not it.
The problem was that the program has some undocumented commands for creating terrains.
It is the Advanced Terrain features that do not appear at all in the program documentation (sloppy work from the devs?)
I will post a solution, for posteriority in several hours as I finish experimenting.
Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 20:46
I would advise using blitz terrain, instead of advance terrain. It's much faster and it has a better LOD system. The free version is here. Also there is a paid version also from the TGC website in case your interested.
Alkerak
Years of Service
User Offline
Is the free version limited?
Don't plan yet to buy ... quite expensive and I ordered the DarkGame Studio.
So either matrixes or advanced terrain with fog or something similar ...
Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2011 21:01
Quote: "Is the free version limited?"

Yes, but the free version still has more features than Advance Terrain. Here is a example that shows Blitz Terrain vs Advance Terrain.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:32:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:32:53