Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkBASIC vs Realm Crafter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Summary
Okay, so my friend recently gave me his copy of DarkBASIC (he called it a gift...) Since he decided to stop programming in it. So and I went on the website, and looked through some tutorials. Then i saw a program called Realm Crafter. What is this? It looks like a drag and drop engine for making (MMO)RPGs? will i be able to implement DarkBASIC codes into this? Which one is better for developing an Indy (MMO)RPG, with a team of 5-10 people (currently looking for some people who will work for free (programmers, 3d artists, etc.)hint hint ;P)

What i want to see in the game:
The game will be based in tribal Europe (I wrote a text adventure in Dark Basic last night about this ) You will play a low level member of a celtic tribe. I dont want this to get very big (hoping at its peak for under 100 members online, and thats more than I even want. More like 20...) You can choose a class. The map will be fairly small, spanning over 4 or 5 tribes (although i will expand it as i go on.) I want classes (Druid, warrior, apothecary, etc.) I want to create a simple spell system (nothing big, just a small animation and a ball flying from the player.) And of course, simple player animations. So far i have created this little thing. The player can move on a plain, and if they collide with another sphere, the corner of the screen says "hey man!"

Final Note
I understand you cant make MMORPG's overnight. The v1 Alpha I understand will take 6 months-1 year depending on how much time i work on it. Ive worked on other projects in other languages for years and years, and never finished, but just gave up. But most of those i didnt really want to make. After i made that text adventure, I realized i wouldnt be giving this up anytime soon. Thanks for the input.

CYALL!

Bellator Quest 3d: Small RPG Under Development (looking for team *hint hint*) Plan on turning into MMoRPG once finished
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 04:04
I would say Darkbasic, I would suggest GDK if you have any C++ experience but the rewards of doing it yourself are better than using a system such as realmcrafter in my own opinion.

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
Bellator Quest 3d
Years of Service
User Offline
Yah thanks. Im currently writing a very simple RPG code in DarkBASIC. Very easy to learn, only had to consult a tutorial once so far, the rest if i dont know already, i can easily come up with it. Very fun to, its 10PM here, and ive been writing it sicne 4PM, and its felt like its been under an hour.

Good ole' feeling of acomplishment.

Bellator Quest 3d: Small RPG Under Development (looking for team *hint hint*) Plan on turning into MMoRPG once finished
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 05:53
Sounds like you have made up your mind. Figured I would throw in my $.02 anyway.

I have DBPro and I purchased Realm Crafter Pro like 6 months ago. I'm still waiting for the oft-touted release of v2.50 and in it's present state RC Pro is unusable. I suppose if you purchased the original RC it would be a different story, as I believe it is stable, but has some issues. At Realm Crafter, they are always talking about features they intend to add to RC Pro and are working hard to put so much into it that it seems as though it will not be released for some time. I'm sure that even when it is finally released, there will be lots of bugs to get worked out. I got weary of going there to check to see if they have released it yet, so I let a month or two go by before I even bother. RC Pro seems like much more than a drag-and-drop engine to me.

On the reverse end, I don't know of too many MMOs that have been released using DB Pro. It seems like every time someone gets close, they have issues with speed and opt out for Dark GDK and have to re-write the entire code.

I think DB Pro is good for developing a background for DarkGDK, but you still are going to need some C++ understanding also.

Another thing I would add is that it is difficult getting and maintaining 5 - 10 people to work for free on a project for a year, assuming you could even get an MMO done in that amount of time. At minimum, you will need to have something significant to show to encourage people to want to team up with you.

Good luck to you.

LB

Bellator Quest 3d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 23:48 Edited at: 9th Mar 2011 00:29
Yeh well im going to purposefully only lightly advertise. Im going to have a friend host my server for dirt cheap ($1/Mo.) And im thinking ill list it on Google. But i only want maybe 10-20 people on at a time. I like games where i can pass by someone, know them, then pass by another person, and know them, instead of seeing thousands of people at once...

P.S: I see darkGDK is pretty much C++... What does it give you that you dont get with Visual C++? Also is C++ fairly easy to learn for someone who used to use Java?

Edit: Also, with the team part, im really only looking for two people, a 3d artist, and a programmer. I know my fair share of 3d art, and hopefully the programmer will know a bit too, so we can all help eachother out. This game will be small, and our plan is to gradually add things.

Thanks!

Bellator Quest 3d
Years of Service
User Offline
Also, will i need to port forward if I use C++? I tried hosting a small 2d MMORPG once, and i had the client and server made, was all excited, and made the initial release, and i couldnt port forward my router... I followed 20+ tutorials, and even had a neighbor of mine who works as an IT guy try it... Nothing. I dont exactly understand port-forwarding (dont laugh...) So i dont know if i need to.

Sorry if thats kind of noobish...

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2011 16:02
Bellator Quest 3d:
Quote: "I see darkGDK is pretty much C++... What does it give you that you dont get with Visual C++?"

First off, I should state that I am not a maiven of DarkGDK or C++; I know about DarkGDK and have tried to work with it a little, but realized I needed to know more about C++, so I put it up for the time being. My understanding is that DarkGDK gives you the ability to (relatively) easily manipulate and display objects/graphics making it ideal for C++ game creation. From the GDK code I have seen, the command usage and syntax are very similar to DB Pro.

Quote: "Also is C++ fairly easy to learn for someone who used to use Java?"

I understand that programming with Java is similar to C++, but again, this is based upon what others say.

Quote: "Also, will i need to port forward if I use C++?"

I had this same issue with a DBPro game that I am working on, so I think the issue would need to be resolved regardless of the programming language used. Verizon has it set up so that I cannot use my router to host a game, which is very frustrating; I tried to port forward with it and was unsuccessful. My only suggestion is to check out Universal Plug and Play:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play
I was given this tip by a friend and have not investigated it too much, but it looks like it might solve the problem.

Quote: "Also, with the team part, im really only looking for two people, a 3d artist, and a programmer. I know my fair share of 3d art"

If someone possesses the skills to create an MMO with DarkGDK, it is unlikely that they would hook up with anyone else to work on a free game for a year. Instead, it seems they would be able to attract all kinds of artists and fellow programmers to create a commercial game. The only suggestion I have if you desire to pursue this is to post your artwork (the 3D Chat board should work) to establish your skillset. If someone is interested in working with you, they will contact you. I would NOT advertise that you want a programmer to come on board to make an MMO with you; you will need a flame-retardant suit if you do.

Good luck,

LB

Bellator Quest 3d
Years of Service
User Offline
Well i had some trouble getting Visual C++ 2008 (first i Downloaded Visual C++ 2010, which didnt seem to work with DarkGDK.) So I looked for ages for 2008, and couldnt find anything except a plugin to run programs made in it. Finally i found a Torrent for Visual C++ 2008 Express edition... Downloading torrents for free programs is a weird feeling...

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 14:13
Em, before you would want to make an MMO, there real issue for me used to be a server for it. Even if you want to host on your house net, it gotta be 24/7 server, so you will have not to turn off your comp Also, you gotta have open ip to port forward. Click start, then run, type in cmd and then ipconfig. Tell me the very first ip from local internet that is displayed (like 192.168.1.1) and i will tell you if you can port forward . Also, Realm Crafter requires very fast internet speed (upload and download). Even when i made some map with it and made my brother connect it, it was sooo slow. But, you maybe want to buy dedicated server... Around 250$ a month for hosting it ( a small metal box that you keep in your house ). W/e maybe you have it done.

So answering on your question, I myself would master DBPro/Dark GDK, it gives you more knowledge about the structure of your MMO. So, i guess that's all If you're looking for modeller... it won't be easy to achieve one, who would make everything for free. So if you can't make it alone/with a friend, it must be a bigger project, which would bring you money, for server hosting & payments for your 'employees'.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:25:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:25:02