Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark <insert upgrade here> worth it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So i just got DarkGDK setup, and i love it. I so far have created a small hack 'n' slash rpg consisting of one room with one object able to do one thing to one npc, and thats with about 3 hours of knowledge. I was wondering of any of the upgrades (dark NET especially ) were worth the money. Dark NET is like $100, which seems a bit outrageous, seeing as the price for other programs is around there, so it seems more of a $20 thing. So is it worth it? Or are there any free upgrades i can get for DarkGDK. Thanks

P.S: Im not talking about DarkBASIC.

Bellator Quest 3d: Small RPG Under Development (looking for team *hint hint*) Plan on turning into MMoRPG once finished
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 04:27
Although DarkNET is specific to GDK I'm more than positive there are other free libraries out there.

I tend to have a look at this site before going any further:

http://www.ebonyfortress.co.uk/blog/free-game-development-libraries/#networking

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 21:31
Well, DarkNet is in a different league to most of the other plugins.

Take a look at http://www.mikenetapi.net/. DarkNet is the same thing as MikeNet.

Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 11:02
if you want something to experiment first theres always multisync and thats free

hi
iSilver
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkNET is one I haven't explored yet.

I'd like to chime in on DarkPhysics, though. If you read the forums, the consensus is that there's a lot of work left to be done on it.

Alternatives to DarkPhysics include QuickODE (by and Fulcrum. Both are awesome. Fulcrum is currently ahead in feature-set and is my choice right now, but Quick ODE is so simple to set up that it works great for simple demos. Both free, and powered by great physics engines (ODE and Nvidia PhysX respectively).
TerryRussell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 19:49
When I started using DarkPhysics (henceforth "DP"), I had all sorts of problems with it. But I found that many of the "problems" were actually just missing entries in the .h header files. When I added them in, everything worked fine.

Since then, I have used DP for collisions, fog, smoke, snow, rain and all sorts of "physics on an object" operations. So far, everything works spectacularly well.

The problem with the TGC products is that so many of them seem half finished and I don't have the time to put in the level of work I have been doing for the past few months, to correct the problems I keep finding.

Shame, really. I have put a lot of time and effort into learning the DarkGDK (and spent a lot of money on TGC products). It could be so much better with just a little more work from the developers. So close...

Amazing Simulation
www.amazing-forum.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 12:39:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 12:39:24