Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Digital Acid

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 10:42 Edited at: 12th Mar 2011 10:43
Digital Acid is an unorthodox demonstration I wrote. The screenshot doesn't do it justice; the entire effect of the program is only seen in motion. It's my idea of what drugs like LSD may be like without having to break the law!

There are 3 primary settings to adjust the nature of the presentation. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

*EPILEPSY WARNING*

To download, just click the DOWNLOAD link on the bottom right; the zip file is attached.

When you decide something is impossible, it becomes just that.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
uh, Who doesn't feel uncomfortable looking at things like this...

Anyways, isn't it too stereotype-ish? I mean, drugs are about visions, levels of existence, not "oh the pretty colors" like someone 'using' would say in a mediocre sitcom.

If this was all it is about, nobody would use drugs. Or is it like smoking? You know, you get used to it, your body wants it though You don't... you don't feel sh*t after the second occaison just the smell and uncomfortable feel of hot air inside your lungs, and you act like it's cool and awesome for you while it is the biggest crap you ever experienced, and then act like a little b**** whining about people don't know how hard it is for you to get off it, like you were carrying the pain of a million people on your shoulders...

maybe..

At least i was expecting some kind of transition, you know, if this distorted texture was a photo of an ordinary landscape, and then these colorful things slowly started to come in harder and harder CHANGING the look of the world.
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 17:58
Nothing like what you describe it as, but a cool effect never the less.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 19:16
Downloading now. Will I feel an ineffable connection with the universe and feel my thoughts spiralling into themselves?

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Good Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 05:23
I discovered the effect from experimentation; had to come up with some kind of wrapper to "market" it under.

I find that certain configurations of the 3 settings, coupled with staring at or near the center, tends to produce some fascinating imagery. It is supposed to be a presentation, not an exact replica of a drug trip. And I would know...

The best part is no one can rip it off with a screenshot. A video, perhaps...

It is interesting, Quel, what you said in the last part of your post. I had/have grander ideas for a much more complex program, with just such things involved.

This is an initial release. I am probing for any hint that spending the time required to develop a robust simulation with true awesomeness would be worth it.

Thanks for your feedback.

When you decide something is impossible, it becomes just that.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 23:52 Edited at: 13th Mar 2011 23:54
these things are generally pretty simple tricks that don't have much lasting value, even when hitched to something like bass.dll ( (untested) snippet here). aside from turning it into a full-fledged game (ie, utilizing bass.dll + visual effects = a playing field), i don't think development would be worth your time (but, you're more than welcome to try and prove me wrong ).

if you want to continue development, no matter what:
Quote: "I find that certain configurations of the 3 settings..."

...provide us with some pre-fab settings so we can see what you see (and, perhaps, the ability for users to save/load their own settings and share them).

ah, also... the drug reference is completely unnecessary here (it also falls way short of expectations given the working title).

/2cents

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 23:19 Edited at: 19th Mar 2011 00:27
i am sorry but its not what acid is like good try tho

@Zotoaster Naww dude thats what ganja is for maaan

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 16:45 Edited at: 21st Mar 2011 16:45
Quote: "@Zotoaster Naww dude thats what ganja is for maaan"

Hmm, good idea.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 23:40 Edited at: 21st Mar 2011 23:46
Seeing what an acid trip is like in this world is impossible, its like a fourth dimension, will still download and see :3

[EDIT]

Very nice, but it would be better if the transformation wasn't so fast, like you could see the colors slowly transform and merge into other shapes.

Lucy in the

Sky with

Diamonds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:00:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:00:43