Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / [TUT] How to hide your resources

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all !

So you got your game done with DGDK, your happy and stuff xD

but wait, as DGDK needs to load the resources, this means that your players will check the resources and they can steal or edit them!

But with this tut you can hide them from the resources folder without deleting them.

I tested this and it worked with DGDK fine.

1 - Open up the Command Prompt
2 - then change your directory to your resources folder using "cd PATH HERE"
3 - then in the console type again (it should be at the resources folder already)

"attrib *.bmp +s +h"

This will hide all .bmp files that you have in your resources.

If you want to hide png files then:

"attrib *.png +s +h"

You get it now xD

WARNING: DO NOT HIDE ALL THE FILES! BECAUSE IF YOU GIVE YOUR GAME TO PLAYERS IN A RAR OR ETC. THEY WONT WINRAR THE BLANK FOLDER!
SO JUST PUT SOMETHING NOT HIDED IN THERE SO IT WONT BE BLANK XD.

Thanks

PS: To un-hide files:

"attrib *.extension -s -h"

Learning C++
VB6 Advanced: 4/5
VB.NET Advanced: 4/5
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
It still unsafe, and really easy to retrieve the hidden folders/files.

The best is to encryp your data with a specified algo. There are several programs that do that for you already.

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 02:11
This is a horrible idea, as your files are still out in the open for anyone to view, I for one have hidden files shown on Windows so this wouldnt work, best way to solve this problem is change the format and the way you load files with GDK, like my example for controlling your own path to loading files in GDK

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 03:05
I've recently come across the unrar code (free). To use it with GDK files you'd have to make memblocks out of your object, images, sounds etc, save them out, then put them into a rar file. You can password the rar file and in your code you can extract the files back into a memblock then extract the image, sound, object from the memblock. The password is simply sent to the extraction functions.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
i think this method is good, but there are very people that know this trick so they can check of course..

But i think if we lock the content DGDK doesnt load..

@Oneka
i already change the extension and dgdk doesnt load like .dat files or that xD

if you have a nice extension that it loads and we cant open it so easy please give me xD

Learning C++
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 19:01
Quote: "but there are very people that know this trick so they can check of course.."

I think 100% of the people that want to check out game resources for editing and the like, know how to show hidden files! Common man...

Quote: "if you have a nice extension that it loads and we cant open it so easy please give me"

I prefer to use DBO (objects), DDS (images) and OGG (sounds) as they are not so wide spread as X/3DS, JPG/PNG and WAV/MP3.
But anyway if you really want to hide your stuff, write your own file formats...

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 04:31
My extension you can open, but the data within it isnt readily readable as it is if you just change a .x to a .dat file, because you can still open the contents and still see what the file says, currently I take the data in my system from binary format and convert it to base64, I can do even more to it, but that in itself is different than just changing the extension, check out my post in this section

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
so if i use a conversor DGDK will read it at same?

Learning C++
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 19:36
Only if you tweak your code / tweak GDK to read it will it work

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 22:39 Edited at: 16th Mar 2011 22:42
Why hide them at all? Just apply a licen$e to your assets, that utilizes a pricing scheme for their use. IMO, one should be able to generate a profit from their hard work at every opportunity. Besides, most of us game devs desire unique assets for our games. Even working with existing assets require a considerable amount of work to rework to make them appear unique. Additionally, dependent on the engine, several engine-specific data formats may be required for the assets to be replicated in another engine properly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-27 21:42:23
Your offset time is: 2024-06-27 21:42:23