Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] The Ancient Writings - Vadania

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2011 23:14 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2011 09:55
Hello there...

It's RelMayer, you know, the dude who never finish what he starts !
I've decided to present my first 'real' project.

I'm very sorry for the many errors that my text can contain, I don't speak English very well ....

I also took the liberty to take Wolf's post structure from his presentation of Relict (don't be harsh with me, guy).

I. Universe - Global (and VERY shrotened because I\'ve written the whole text in French) Overview

Initially, there was the Void.

This dark and mysterious force included both everything and nothing, from this force was born Korr, a god, tired of the monotony's void, he created a rocky sphere, finding that very poor and basic, he added oceans, plains, mountains and other landscapes.

Then he created 'little characters' who can act by themselves: Humans, Sylvan Elves, but also animals, he endowed the first two races of a mystical energy end of his power he called 'Aura'.

Then four other gods joined him in the creation of the world, Bane, Nerdanel, Derc'hen and Envel, respectively representing water, earth, fire and air, those four gods were responsible to keep the balance of the world created by Korr, which he called it Anvil. Thanks to their presence, Korr could retire to contemplate its creation.

For millennia, Sylvan Elves and Humans lived in harmony. Humans had gathered in large concentrations and began to gather around several leaders worldwide, while the Sylvan Elves were prefer to live in the wild.

Gradually, some human and sylvan elvish communities inadvertently discovered the void by studying the powers given by their Aura, they created a new kind of Aura called Ether, then they regrouped to study it, as time passes, these two races were combined to form one, then they took the name of 'Dokkalfar' (also called Half Elves).

Some 'Ether masters' had developed their own ideals, and through their immeasurable power, created a world called 'Infernum' invaded by flames and the worst aberrations that were inconceivable, even for Korr, the lord of Infernum was Comtar. Not knowing what to do, the gods remained neutral and created new species to bring a new balance.

Two new races appears at that point : the High Elves and the Little People.

(Our story takes place ten thousand years after the creation of the world, and five after the creation of the Infernum.)

II. The story so far

You are a Human ranger (Phisically I imaging him like Aragorn's secret twin) who was wrongly condemned, one night that you are somehow able to sleep, you make a strange dream where you see a dying naked man breaking into the throne room of Cicéron Ambrosius, the Vadanian Emperor. Just before he died, he warned him that the 'Awakening' arrives.

'The Awakening ? What does this mean ?
A stupid invention from Aura manipulators again ?
Why this dream ?'

Your curiosity is taking, you decide to go to the capital of Vadania, Brightsilver, to find answers to your questions once freed.

III. Features

- An adventure game in a first person point of view that takes place in a world combining High and Dark Fantasy.
- Once will not hurt, you are not the main character of the game
- Gameplay combining adventure, action, reflection and some RP elements
- Good graphics for FPSC (Water, Pixel Shaders 3.0, HDR/Adaptive Bloom....)
- Nice 2D Effects (Water, volumetric lighthing, glare effects, with increased quality provided by the HDR...)
- A lot of work done with the textures.
- Over fourty characters, from simple peasant to the most deformed creatures.

First Screenshots

Vadanian Subterranean Prison

Lost Monastery (Still an HEAVY WIP)

That's all for now, C&C are welcome.
Oh, almost forgot, a MORE detailed text file (In French, sorry !) about the universe is attached.

Please apologize my bad english, I'm French.

ELDORA Rocks !

Attachments

Login to view attachments
spaceside
Years of Service
User Offline
You have guts to challenge wolf on is own territory

Still its look good

not good as relic ( in my opinion) but still i like what i see

Good luck !

in space.Nobody will hear your scream.
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 09:39
Quote: "You have guts to challenge wolf on is own territory"

It's unfortunate that you see it like that, this is not a competition !

Nah, the only thing I want with this project is to got a good medieval mapping, but I must admit that's partially Wolf's work which made ​​me take the initiative (still impresive) ).

Quote: "not good as relic ( in my opinion) but still i like what i see

Good luck !"

Thank you !

ELDORA Rocks !
spaceside
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's unfortunate that you see it like that, this is not a competition ! "

well of course ,its was just a joke ^^

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 11:17
That's what I thought. (^_^) V

About the level design, I'm also inspired by some of Oblivion locations, and various maps from Quake III and Sauerbraten.

ELDORA Rocks !
da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 11:29
It looks awesome
spaceside
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "About the level design, I'm also inspired by some of Oblivion locations, and various maps from Quake III and Sauerbraten.
"

the Vadanian prison reminds me the prison where you escape in the begining of oblivion

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 12:44 Edited at: 21st Mar 2011 12:49
It was the main inspiration, yep, the map is not finished yet however.

Some persons I know told me my map looks like the prison seen in Amnesia - The Dark Descent, it's flattering.

(Sorry for the naive emoticon, but I like this kind of thing)

ELDORA Rocks !
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good. Just looking at your last pic of the monastery, I would sacrifice a few more polys for the arches. To make them smoother. This would help the flow the same. Good work otherwise.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Because wolf is making a medieval game, doesnt mean now all medieval games will be a copy of his game, im making a medieval game, since i started FPSC, and that was WAY before Relic (2006) so i wouldnt go there saying that, and we dont need to have Wolf's Quality to even post here.

so if you want to compare 2 different projects, you can gladly close your mouth.

spaceside
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Because wolf is making a medieval game, doesnt mean now all medieval games will be a copy of his game, im making a medieval game, since i started FPSC, and that was WAY before Relic (2006) so i wouldnt go there saying that, and we dont need to have Wolf's Quality to even post here.

so if you want to compare 2 different projects, you can gladly close your mouth."

man calm down i said its was a joke..

and by the way i did not say that his game was ''a copy'' i just said that he has guts because wolf is creating (in my opinion) one of the best looking fps creator medieval game..

but again, its was just a joke.

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 10:39 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2011 10:47
Quote: "Because wolf is making a medieval game, doesnt mean now all medieval games will be a copy of his game, im making a medieval game, since i started FPSC, and that was WAY before Relic (2006) so i wouldnt go there saying that, and we dont need to have Wolf's Quality to even post here. "

Are you insinuating that I'm just copying his mapping style ?

ELDORA Rocks !
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 12:48 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2011 12:49
Quote: "Are you insinuating that I'm just copying his mapping style ? "

No, to the contrary
And spacesider was only joking aswell.

Well, about the game:

Visually: Some of the shader effects appear to be a bit too strong...they make the whole stuff look too "wet". Others look just fine and you did a great job in mapping!

Even though it looks like it will be hard to navigate around as it looks a bit too tight to get past that desk
But we are first person shooter players and are used to jump over stuff.

Story:

The story has everything a fantasy game usually has. Its good for a videogame and there is not much I can tell against it.
I would only reconcider the Name "Anvil" as it is a city in Oblivion... and well..the english word for "enclume" .

I would also name the whole game simply: Vadania.
(I'm a professional when it comes to game titles...I have a giant typo in mine )

"The Ancient Writings" is a bit too close to "The Elder Scrolls".

How about: Vadania: Awakening?

However: Its nice work! Great to see more non-Zombie games in FPSC and best luck with further development.

Quote: "You have guts to challenge wolf on is own territory"

Oh yes...

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 13:28 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2011 13:29
Quote: "Visually: Some of the shader effects appear to be a bit too strong...they make the whole stuff look too "wet". Others look just fine and you did a great job in mapping!
"

Yep, I don't know how to decrease the shader's intensity, I've darkened all of my speculars (almost black), but I've always got that problem, I'm using the two entity and wall shaders that Bond1 had released for free.

Quote: "Even though it looks like it will be hard to navigate around as it looks a bit too tight to get past that desk "

You say that about the table?
A guard will be sit on the chair, he will serve as a kind of wall.

Quote: "I would only reconcider the Name "Anvil" as it is a city in Oblivion... and well..the english word for "enclume" ."

Yeah I know, but it's totally deliberated !
EDIT : Yeah, right I think I should change the name of the game universe.

Quote: "How about: Vadania: Awakening ? "

Oh, very good... thanks.

Quote: "However: Its nice work! Great to see more non-Zombie games in FPSC"

Thank you, and about the zombie games, I agree, but I must confess that my game will contain undead creatures (zombies, and even totally invisible ghosts) hehe.

Quote: "and best luck with further development."

Yeah thank you.
(not reassured about that )

ELDORA Rocks !
Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 20:43
Looks very well,
in my opinion it looks AS GOOD!!!Relict because its not the Game full filled with senseless objects (doesnt mean Relict is)
it looks very minimalistic and I like that.
Also I dont think that the shaders are tooo strong and the walls and objects are looking to wet, that really reminds me of Oblivion (which is my favourite RPG right after New Vegas).
Do you have an idea when to release it?

Youtube Name: omegamer666
Current project: Junkys Home, a X9 project where you wakeup in a dark apertment and your goal is to get out of there.
But you´re not alone...
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 21:53 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2011 21:54
Quote: "in my opinion it looks AS GOOD!!!Relict because its not the Game full filled with senseless objects (doesnt mean Relict is)
it looks very minimalistic and I like that."

Well, inspiration comes to me slowly, slowly but surely, I'm very influenced by Tamriel (The Elder Scrolls) and the Middle Earth (The Lord of the Rings), but I try to inspire me without falling into plagiarism and to think realistically to make my maps.

Quote: "Also I dont think that the shaders are tooo strong and the walls and objects are looking to wet"

It seems the opinions are divided.
You decide.

Quote: "that really reminds me of Oblivion"

Thanks, it's very flattering to compare some of my work with Wolf's one and AAA games.

Quote: "Do you have an idea when to release it?"

No, but actually, I'm focusing on the prologue, I would like to reach about 30 or 45 minutes of gameplay for this first part.

ELDORA Rocks !
Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 22:03
Quote: "I'm very influenced by(...)Middle Earth (The Lord of the Rings)..."

Yeah I thought so when I read Aragorn somewhere.
Keep it up...I...WANT...MORE...SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEENS!!!!!!!

Current project: Junkys Home, a X9 project where you wakeup in a dark apertment and your goal is to get out of there.
But you´re not alone...
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2011 17:12
Soon.

(Gasp, I want to submit my entry to the VBOTB 2012 or 2013 with that project...)

ELDORA Rocks !
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2011 00:24
Quote: "About the level design, I'm also inspired by some of Oblivion locations"

I can see that and it looks a lot better than oblivion to

Srry about my english im from sweeden
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2011 11:42 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 11:51
Quote: "I can see that and it looks a lot better than oblivion to"

Wow, it's flattering !
Thank you !

For those who are afraid that I'm not working on it anymore :

I am working on the universe, actually I'm writing its history, then I think I'm going to look at the languages ​​spoken by the peoples (there will be three).

PS: does someone can speak french in here ?
If that case, could he help me to translate my texts?

ELDORA Rocks !
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2011 16:37
Just a quick reskin.

ELDORA Rocks !
Doctor 3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Those are some impressive graphics. The shaders really help to bring out the crevices in the rocks. Are you using the default settings for the shader or did you modify it?
Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2011 19:36
Quote: "Just a quick reskin"

Haha, for its "quickyness" its amazing.

But you´re not alone...
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2011 19:48 Edited at: 26th Mar 2011 19:48
Doctor 3D
Quote: "Those are some impressive graphics. The shaders really help to bring out the crevices in the rocks. Are you using the default settings for the shader or did you modify it?"

Thanks, I'm using the default shaders than Bond1 had released for free plus his adaptive bloom one.

Omegamer
Quote: "Just a quick reskin"

Thanks, I said 'quickyness' because I've used some bits of Wolf's crusader retexture (the chainmail and shoulder pads), I've just applied some extra effects of the texture (rust and scorched metal for the helmet, fabric for the 'tunic' and leather for the belt)

ELDORA Rocks !
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, really nice work, I wouldn't compare it with Wolf's work he does what he does very well, but then so do you obviously and I can see your putting a lot of effort and work into this.
You guy's nowadays make my little attempt at fantasy work in the past look amateur and thats a good thing.
Only one crit, the torch flame decals look a little overwhelming but that may be just in the screenshots and they look fine in game, maybe even just scale them down a little bit..
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2011 03:11 Edited at: 27th Mar 2011 12:07
Quote: "Yep, really nice work, I wouldn't compare it with Wolf's work he does what he does very well, but then so do you obviously and I can see your putting a lot of effort and work into this."

Thank you.

Quote: "You guy's nowadays make my little attempt at fantasy work in the past look amateur and thats a good thing."

Eldora... I've installed it for the first time in summer 2008 (for inspiration on my fantasy project of this time), and I still play it today ! (see my signature)

When can we discover Owen Derron's new adventures ?

Quote: "Only one crit, the torch flame decals look a little overwhelming but that may be just in the screenshots and they look fine in game, maybe even just scale them down a little bit.."

You're right, these flames are still too big, I'll fix it ASAP.

ELDORA Rocks !
Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 19:28
Just bumping

Current project: Wilhelmsburg, an Amnesia-styled physic adventure completly without fights or other FPSC-signatured things.
RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 23:42
Hello, I am glad that you are interested by that project, unfortunately, I'm sick for a while, so I decided to take a break until I get better ...

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 00:41
Hope you get beter soon!

That Knight looks realy awsome!

Srry about my english im from sweeden
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2011 08:30
Quote: "That Knight looks realy awsome!"

I agree!

And the screenies look beautiful! Great job!

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 10:33 Edited at: 10th May 2011 10:45
Thanks.

Despite the fact that I'm not really healthy (I still have six months of treatment), I'll resume work on the project because I have nothing to do and it annoys me.

(I decided to resume the work after I've watched again Skyrim trailer for the 30th time (at least) )

That's what I've decided

I'm not using shaders anymore, but only a very few of them : water, planar shadows and window refraction (for any kind of glasses (see attached) )

I'm currently training myself with Sculptris in the attempt to make decent landscapes (BTW, I don't know how to reduce the polycount of a model)

I've also choose to completely revise the beginning of the game, you will not start in a jail cell anymore.

Attachments

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 13:35 Edited at: 10th May 2011 16:13
I've tried to recreate the same refraction effect than the one seen in Oblivion, I think it's pretty cool but it's also very ugly and almost invisible on a immobile screenshot.

The shader has been created by Creator of zombies.

Believe me, it's very more impressive in motion !

(screen attached)

Attachments

AdrianMa
Years of Service
User Offline
The game's looking amazing. That refraction effect is really cool, would be nice to see it in motion. Hope you feel better soon, treatment surely sucks!

Rest in peace Heltor & AAGreen.
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to help you on this if you do want some of my help, show me on MSN or Email

its on my profile

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 00:12
Quote: "The game's looking amazing. That refraction effect is really cool, would be nice to see it in motion. Hope you feel better soon, treatment surely sucks!"

Thank you.

Quote: "I would love to help you on this if you do want some of my help, show me on MSN or Email

its on my profile"

I took the liberty to add you to my MSN buddylist

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok added you too (by accepting the request)

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 10:03 Edited at: 11th May 2011 10:04
DarkJames :
See you soon on MSN !

Mods, can you lock the thread please ? I want to make a cleaner one with new screenies later.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you get online now?

RelMayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 21:20
Sure !

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 21:02:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 21:02:41