Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What tools should I get / use.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello I am new to DB obviously. I came from 6 years of
GameMaker and want to move on to something a little more
powerful.
TheGameCreators has many many tools. I downloaded the trial
or 3d World Studio and find it very very cool. I am also about
to tryout there 3d modeler and see how it is.

So I guess what I am trying to ask is if these tools are good?
What is the common meathod to world creation, model creation, ect.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 17:00
I don't think many people at all actually use TGC's modeling software (is it 3d Canvas Pro?). Mostly we just like DarkBASIC, I think . See here for a list of things people use more frequently:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=154983&b=3#m1811377

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2011 23:44 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2011 23:46
I use Mapscape by Evolved. It's FREE, written in DBP and works great. It'll also lightmap your world. Here's what I'm working on:

Here's a link to the relevant page on Evolved's site:
MAPSCAPE

You just need to make sure when you load a lightmapped level into DBP to use his lightmap shader on the object.

If you use it and get stuck give me a shout I love his editor and use it all the time for my 3D games (including the one in my signature which is free at the moment).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2011 06:10
Quote: "What is the common meathod to world creation, model creation, ect."
There are many many different ways to create a 3D world, alot of which will depend on the type of game you are making.

If you are intending to create a large 3D game, I think most common method (at least what I usually do) is to create your own "World" creation tool (a level editor) which consists of loading and placing models and other game elements, and then save that out to a file in a format which your game engine uses to recreate the level at runtime.

If I were you, I would check out the free software that is out there and see what you like. Then if you decide to purchase software you can choose programs which do things that your free tools can't.
GameFrnzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I have 3D world studio which I really realy like alot. I also have darkphysics, ai, ect. Im also really liking the AC3D modeling software trial. Its very easy to use and exports straight to .x format so all the software im trying from the site is really good so far.

I am seeing a lack of good tutorials though. I mean there are good ones I just wish there was a complete one through a complete simple game. I am geting the concepts really fast I just got the program 2 days ago and I could already completly import a 3d model and control the player with the keyboard along with the camera, ect.

Its very easy to use I just wish there was something that incorporated everything together. But I will keep searching

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:29:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:29:08