Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / x10 Shaders...does anyone really know how they work?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2011 17:50
I can't find anywhere on the forum a final description of how to properly utilize spec, normal, or illumination maps.

I have followed examples from the Sci-Fi pack, with little success. I seem to have successfully used a ps2 shader that I made in DarkShader - despite having read on numerous threads that ps2 shaders do not work.

I have placed textures in the texturebank, used alpha channels and not used alpha channels...and well, I have tried just about every possible combination and I can't figure out what really works.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how to properly use entity shaders in x10? What all shaders are available? Which ones require alpha channels...and which ones get screwed up by alpha channels?

We really need a proper and final tutorial on shaders in x10. The only threads out there are ones from 2008 when people were first trying to figure it out. Following their suggestions does not work.

I've put so much time into this and I still do not have a firm grasp on how this works. I have succeeded on some occasions only to be unable to replicate my success. I have done things that aren't supposed to work but do work. Just very confused. Please help.

Perhaps I should post this in the models forum?

THanks,
SREALIST
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
hey dude

well you need gimp with dds and normal attachments

get ya texture
copy it call it d2
the orig just d
then same image go to normal map and make as bumpy as you want save as n

then the hard bit, the spec

get image make it black/white, then make a mask layer as alpha
then select then fill texture with black then apply layer mask and save as s

make sure bit maps saved and in dds format

then for each diff type of object

doors are

textured = texturebank\user\doors\tomb doors\door_a\door_a_D2.tga
effect = effectbank\bumpent\bumpent.fx
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
characters are :
textured = raknos_1_D.tga
effect = effectbank\bumpbone\bumpbone.fx
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lifts are

textured = texturebank\scifi\scenery\lifts\Lift_a\L_a_02_D2.tga
effect = effectbank\illuminationent\illuminationent.fx
beds and static entities

textured = texturebank\scifi\scenery\furniture\beda\bed_A_d2.tga
effect = effectbank\bumpent\bumpent.fx
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

walls and floors are

texture0 = texturebank\scifi\moonbase\rooms\Elite\floor_01_D.dds
transparency0 = 0
effect0 = effectbank\bump\bump.fx

this works for me

plus make sure you have lights in game

good luck

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2011 23:31
Thanks, Science Boy! Most appreciated. I've got it working now. I am still baffled by a few things. For instance, I have a shader effect I made in Dark Shader that appears to work. When using this I reference the texture as blahblahblah.dds (not tga) and I don't have to put the textures in the texturebank. It works but I dunno why.

Using what you describe above, I can finally have static entities with spec and normals (before I had to make them dynamic which would cause me collision problems).

What about illumination on gun entities? I've made a model of an anglerfish's lure, positioned it so it looks right, but i can't get it to glow. Instead it treats it like a bumpent despite me specifying illuminationent.fx. I end up with a bumpy and shiny object when I want a glowy object.

Thanks again. Oh and the diver kit is very cool!!
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2011 16:16 Edited at: 15th Apr 2011 16:20
Quote: "What about illumination on gun entities? I've made a model of an anglerfish's lure, positioned it so it looks right, but i can't get it to glow. Instead it treats it like a bumpent despite me specifying illuminationent.fx. I end up with a bumpy and shiny object when I want a glowy object."

The Glowing areas of your gun must be in the Alpha Channel of your _S texture... Basically Blacker (less Glow) <-----> Whiter (greater Glow)

Also if you don't want it shiny at all.... Just make the _S texture all black and object will not shine..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:23:56