Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why does it fail to load on one of my friends computer?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i made a number guessing game and i sent it to him through skype and he said he opened it and it gave him an error message that said failed to load.... is it becasue he needs DarkBASIC so that can translate the code so the computer can understand it? i sent him the .exe file... if he needs darkbasic is there a different way where i can get it to him so he can try it?

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make all of the other bas***** die for theirs.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2011 20:53
No, he doesn't need DarkBASIC to run an exe.

What's the actual error message he gets?

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2011 21:10
My guess is going to be one of the .dll errors if hes runing windows 7 as i got the same thing. If it is then you need to download those dll's and put them in with the exe. If this is not the right way to do it then i dont know but it worked for me (my laptop is win 7). I think the alternative is to try to get DX9 on your machine, but i havent figured out how to do that just yet as the first 7 million hits from google for 'download DX9' are blag sites for download programs that charge you.

*Hums to self "What a wonderful world".
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2011 22:02
Googling for "DirectX 9.0c" throws up the following link...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

This is a link for the smaller web installer version.

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 00:11
Did work for me on my laptop that im afraid. Dont know why but i tried that, maybe ill try it again. It just errors when you install it.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 00:31
Works for me, altho I'm disapointed to see MS have bundled the Bing Bar with it now?

@Billups138:
What error did your friend get?

Did you remember to include all the media for your game?

You're not refering to files in the code with a full path are you? (e.g. "c:/users/dave/desktop/folder/filename.jpg", coz obviously this will only work for ppl called Dave, instead use relative paths e.g "folder/filename.jpg")

If you use IanM's matrix 1 plugin set, then there are a couple of other files u need to include with your project as well.

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 01:47
Well i hate to hijack the thread but it still doesnt work for my laptop. It gets an internal system error everytime i try and run the dx9 setup. Never has worked. I thought i would try it again but it didnt work. I am glad it worked for you though. Hopefully Billups138's friend has the DX9 issue and it can be resolved, either by installing it or just downloading the 2 dll's that cause DB pro programs not to work, its what i do to get my progs to work.
Billups138
Years of Service
User Offline
d3dx9_31.dll was not found

that is the error message, i was gietting that error message on my computer when i first tried making a game, if i really thought about it then i would have known that he just needed to update DirectX

im wasnt being very smart haha alright, thanks everyone (i was just making sure you were all awake)

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make all of the other bas***** die for theirs.
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 09:38
I thought it might be that. If you can then install DX9, if the installer fails then chances are you already have it but his graphics card is not compatable with some 3d elements. This is the issue with my laptop. The fix for this is to get hold of that dll and there will be another one too but its just as easy to find. Then make sure the dlls are in whatever your game folder is that your running the game from. That should solve the problem
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 09:43
The DirectX dlls need to be in the proper folder, not in the project folder. or else it won't work.

Also it is against the DirectX Eula to download individual files from Dx. Its all or nothing I'm afraid.

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 10:04
Mmm i didnt know that. I have no idea how i get mine from working. My friend knows a little more about these things than me and he placed them into all the appropriate folders (or what seemed like the appropriate folders) only to come up with the same error. The only way i can run any DB pro program big or small is by having 2 dlls in my folder at all times. I did think this was a strange way to do it as i thought there would be a fix for this sort of thing but obviously something else is amiss.
Firstly my laptop isnt state of the art but its brand new. With no other programs installed (DB pro was the first thing) it didnt work right off the bat. An install of DX9 just came up with errors. And the support is the biggest load of bollocks i have ever come across.

Support: Sir have you tried downloading DX9 from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Me: Yes, yes i have, thats what im saying, it doesnt work.

Support: Ok sir then try downloading DX9 from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Me: Errr thats the same link, DX9 wont install you tool.

Support: Ok sir try getting DX9 and installing it on your machine, try this link
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Me: Ok are you taking the piss its the same link. It doesnt work, full stop. Why the hell is no one listening to me.

And after that i gave up, pinched the individual dlls that were missing (against the Eula or not what else am i supposed to do when its not my fault).
So i say this, if you can download DX9 and get it installed even though windows 7 says it comes with everything DX9 does and more when it clearly doesnt then definately do it. If you cant get it to work that way then try my way. Its a crappy way of doing it but it but it does work at least for some people (dont ask me how) until they bring out a solution that doesnt involve revisting the same link dozens of times to try and install DX9. Posting the DXerror log on forums just gets the same solution of downloading DX9 and installing it or visiting the forum of the game you are trying to make work and asking for help there, yes thats right thats microsofts solution to the problem. Visit their (enter game name here) forum and get support from there.

Its a funny situation but i know more than anyone that different solutions can work for the same problems sometimes. But if anyone does have a solution to my problem in particular i would be willing to try it and post up on here if it works.
Poloflece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2011 10:50
what does the error message say, and did you just give him the .exe and not the associated files (if any) like 3d models or images?

Rust Pack WIP here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178788&b=24

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 02:34:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 02:34:38