Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Errors gone...glad to be back :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2011 08:06
OMG.

rofl

Now what am I going to do, this thing works???

later all

jeff c
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2011 11:42
Hey welcome back

How was that space trading game? Finished?

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2011 12:08
I am going to start over with it, because I realized that loading all the graphics in the beginning is the wrong thing to do...

I want to load the graphics as the game plays.

Something like this:

[load graphics for next scene] play scene

[check next scene graphics and compare with what is already loaded]
[delete graphics we can't use for next scene]
[load graphics for next scene] play scene

and so on...

PLUS, I am currently RE-Re-Reading C++ The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt. AND I want to do the whole game in C++ next, and learn a few things along the way.

I would upload the current version, but it has problems.

AND, I got a new video card (actually this is the 2nd new card in about 6 months...) and as I start over, I want to make sure everything works great with the new video card installed.

I've noticed a few games (even professional games) have some issues with different video cards...I thought those days were gone with the invention of Direct X...

Oh well, they are minor issues anyways.

...and these are all 2d games I'm talking about...3d games seem to soak up the video GPUs.

ok, later all,

jeff c
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2011 12:10
...and i also thought about converting the whole game to 3d...that would be WICKED!

...any advice in that regard would be welcome.

later,

jeff c
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2011 13:00
Well, here's hoping... I've just jotted down some notes that I will take with me to work, and work on this baby. I also zipped up the latest from this project.

I will not be making any more progress in this project the way that it is now. I will be starting over from scratch!

I looked through the data and code, and it's actually gonna be pretty simple.

This archive contains all the main(s).cpp, and a simple tutorial to walk you through the beginning of this project, as I started to create it from scratch with Dark GDK.

Enjoy, and stay tuned for the updated and better C++ version coming in a few days.

I will post this update even if all I have is the title screen

later all,

jeff c

P.S. I might start a new thread for the new c++ version of this project.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2011 13:10
Quote: "I am going to start over with it, because I realized that loading all the graphics in the beginning is the wrong thing to do..."

That is a good approach, although sometimes it depends on the media case by case, taking into account usage, size,...

You may want to take a look to this thread

Ever wanted to control how GDK loads resources?

it deals with loading media into the ram and only copy it to the video ram by request.

Quote: "and i also thought about converting the whole game to 3d...that would be WICKED!"

Just add Z calculus!
Jokes apart, you could consider to keep it 2d, but use 3d meshes instead of 2d sprites... just an idea

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 01:57
I'm re-reading C++ The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt...

I'm already paying more attention than the last time I read it from cover to cover.

I don't even think I understood inheritance properly...and STRUCTs and CLASSes.

OMG

what was I thinking? or maybe I wasn't thinking.

later,

jeff c

P.S. I converted a breakout game I made in pure direct x once, from C to C++ with classes...not sure how I managed it...LOL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 00:37:19
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 00:37:19