Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP] - Timed movement function.

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 00:30
Made some updates to my timed movement function if anyone wants it?
I wanted an small single function to do it!
And it seams smooth and fast so far?

before loop write this!!

Then put this at the top of your loop!!

do
Timed(timer())

code bla bla bla
code bla bla bla
loop

here is the function!

then to move something simply use!
move sprite 1,60.0*Timed.spd
And remember that the value before *Timed.spd must be an float!

Its an modification of spookys timed movement
Java Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 09:40
Nice code, always like a good function to simplify coding

If I only had the time...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2011 23:21
Quote: "Nice code, always like a good function to simplify coding"

It only have some small flaws!
If the change is to rapid and large so could you still get an choppy movement .
I noticed this today when i rewrote my game engine that rapidly changes betwen 98-270 fps.
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
First, it is called time based.

Second, this is one very perverted way of doing things, and i mean having an FPS value ranging to and from some so differing values! You just simply don't adjust 300 as a possible FPS for your game.

You need to decouple the loops, so there are two of them, one which syncs let's say 60 occasions a second, and the other one does the thinking side of your program without sync. This all can be achieved easily using the timer(), or for the best results maybe some plugin based more accurate timer command.

Time based movement comes in if the 60 fps cannot be maintained. Which is still okay, since with good smooth Time based movement, the slowdown shouldn't cause any trouble down to 24 FPS since that is the rate your brain can keep up with stuff happening in front of your eyes.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~25%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 02:37
I've just recently added this to my code which works. Doesn't need to be mega accurate, just so long as it works.

On each update I use WLT_F as my multiplier. At FPS of 60 the multiplier is 1.0, at 30fps it would be 2.0 and so on.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2011 17:40
Quote: "First, it is called time based.

Second, this is one very perverted way of doing things, and i mean having an FPS value ranging to and from some so differing values! You just simply don't adjust 300 as a possible FPS for your game.

You need to decouple the loops, so there are two of them, one which syncs let's say 60 occasions a second, and the other one does the thinking side of your program without sync. This all can be achieved easily using the timer(), or for the best results maybe some plugin based more accurate timer command.

Time based movement comes in if the 60 fps cannot be maintained. Which is still okay, since with good smooth Time based movement, the slowdown shouldn't cause any trouble down to 24 FPS since that is the rate your brain can keep up with stuff happening in front of your eyes."

You are one weird dude?
In wich way is this perverted?
Show me wath you do that is so good and not perverted
You wrote that its wrong to have an locked sync rate and complained about the others in that threads solutions?
Show me wath you use to get smooth movement?
And thanks for the spelling lesson
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 22:17
While Quel can be a little "harsh" with criticism, I have to agree that it's a very convoluted way of doing it.

This is the most common function I've seen in several other engines for Time Based Movement. (adapted for DBP of course)

This is all you need. It's simple, and accurate.

move object x, speed# * factor#

Will move the object at a constant speed.

Decoupling the Display Loop from the Game Loop is what Quel was referring to. It allows your game to perform much better while maintaining a steady framerate. This especially helps with multiplayer games where you can't afford to miss any incoming data.

For situations where the framerate tends to fluctuate, you can do this.

This averages the factor# over 50 frames, so your object doesn't jump to it's new position just because the framerate dipped unexpectedly. After less than a second of steady framerate it will be in the right position. During that split second it will still be so close that the difference is negligible.

This also prevents a problem on fast machines where factor# can come back as 0.0 for several frames, which means nothing would move.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2011 23:33
Quote: "While Quel can be a little "harsh" with criticism, I have to agree that it's a very convoluted way of doing it."

I have used it since i learned it from spooky in 2004? if i remember it right
Its extremely smooth but you get weird speed spikes if the change is to large.
And it dosent affect any of the speed of data inside or outside the loop.

I have tryed something similar to the snippet you posted and always get very shaky movement when the framerate changes to much?

But i will try your code later on! as it could be something i have looked for.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2011 19:23
The odd thing about the code is it doesn't use an actual timer, which is why you get fluctuations when your framerate changes.

The function I'm using is based only on the amount of time that passes, so whether you are running at 2FPS or 2000FPS the object will move the same amount every second. Granted, at 2FPS you're going to see some jumps, but that is to be expected at such a low framerate.

Anything above 20-25 I think should produce smooth movement.

NOTE: For simplicity I used the timer() function in the code, but I would recommend the Matrix1Utils command hitimer() instead.

Duke E
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 13:43 Edited at: 21st May 2011 14:52
Quote: "I would recommend the Matrix1Utils command hitimer() instead"

Or, from DBPro Version 7.7 you can use the performance timer without needing to get "Perffreq" from a dll or use IanM`s "hitimer()".

Like so:

Regards

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:49:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:49:21