Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dark Collisions?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 08:24
Do the people that made this sliding collision .dll for 3ds models still have a website? I have an early release of it, are they still around? have there been updates? Do other people still use this?

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 08:41
I was looking for it for a while, but then I gave up...

DreamersScars-Toiletfreak-
If you need a animated chara go here... It isn't that great but it'll do as a tester model thingy http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/index.html
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 18:59
Here is link:

http://www.nuclearglory.com/developer/db/kdll.html

Look out very soon for new version that will do loads of extra stuff.

If your mansion house needs haunting, just call Rentaghost!
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
The new version has just been released:

http://www.nuclearglory.com

More is on the way too.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 00:15
How would I go about making stairs with Dark Collisions?

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Greets,

The stairs could be loaded X/3DS models, 3D shapes created at runtime in DBPro, part of your main geometry for the level, or all of the above as it supports multiple meshes.

I think maybe you're asking if there are limits to how the geometry has to be created for the collision system. But the system was designed to handle any/all types of geometry. So it should work regardless of how you create the stairs.

Just remember to set the collision type for your stairs (or level if they are connected to the level) so the system knows you want them to be a collision object, and you're all set.

Hope that was the answer you were after
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 00:57
no...I mean...how would I go about making an object physically climb steps? If you hit a wall looking straight you stop. If you look up you slide up the wall, and I don't want people jerkily sliding up stairs.

My old game, using a step as an individual object (which is too time consuming to continue), would check to see if the distance between you and the top of the object is small enough to step up onto, and if it was, you just jumped up to the next step,and it looked pretty nice. Is there a way to "climb" each individual stair without having to look straight up it?

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 01:12
Lay an invisible ramp over the stair.

If you want the camera to move up and down in a more realistic motion, add a sinwave effect to the player's height.

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 01:17 Edited at: 20th Oct 2003 01:18
The new collision specifically allows sphere/ellipsoid to mesh collision. So when the character comes into contact with the stair his force will be applied against the edge of the stair. Now the ellipsoid's slide (being pushed against the stair edge) is calculated and he slides over the edge gracefully to the next step.

And if the ledge is too high (about half-way up his body or higher) then he won't be able to go over it. And with gravity applied properly, the ledge would have to be lower depending on the amount of gravity.

And... you can specifically set the height of the ellipsoid, so I think the collision system should take care of the problem.

The character moves forward and slides gracefully up the steps.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 03:51
I was worried that I'd have to do what rob said, which is a terrible way out, but good, I can do individual stairs.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2003 04:02
Terrible way out? How in the world is it so? I'm pretty perceptive but I don't flip out if the player's height isn't perfectly bouncy when moving up the stairs. A ramp is more realistic anyways-- our vision dosen't really snap with the step we're on, it moves smoothly.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 02:26
it provides much better collision systems than the ones built into the language Geri

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 04:29
Can I do .x to .x collision? That seems disturbingly tricky with this...and it does it handle animated .x collision?

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Moving Meshes and Meshes with Limbs are all planned for a future release. Mesh to Mesh collision is also planned as well. Dynamic deform meshes, however, is not something we'll be doing for DB.

All of the above will come with the shareware version of the DLL. There will be a trial version released so you can test the collision to make sure it's what you need before purchasing.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 00:53
purchasing? that's not the spirit of the db community...

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 01:16
Ive just gone right off it. Donationware...donationware....donat...

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
The current release, and the next one (2.01) are free and will remain free. There is no fee and no donation is required.

The DLL is nearing the point where it will become a professional grade system. Handling very intensive processes.

The planning and construction of the system is very intricate and consumes a large majority of time. And therefore, we cannot afford to continue to develop the system at no cost after version 2.01

We do understand the from the developers standpoint this just looks like "simple collision". But in fact, the actual collision detection is only part of the system. Much time is spent designing how memory will be handled, as we intend it to be used for the largest and most intensive of projects.

This will allow people to integrate the collision system with Visibility sets of massive worlds, etc. And the collision system must be full proof without sacrificing FPS. We would like to go even as far as an integrated DataBase system, so unused sections of a world can be de-activated and removed from RAM.

We will try to keep the DLL inexpensive for all users. Probably around the mark of $15 for a user or team. And they can use it on as many projects as they like with no royalties or anything. And it will come with the blitz copy too, so you get a package deal.

We believe, that for the quality of the system when we release it, the purchase fee will be fair
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 12:24
Sounds good... I think...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks JessTicular,

Yeah, our intention isn't to rip anyone off.

That's the reason behind the "almost" fully-functioning demo we will release of it. We only want to sell it to you if it's something you want

The demo will have some "demo limits". The current planned "demo limits" are: it will display a popup ad when the DLL is unloaded and collision during the program will shut off after 3-5 mins of execution.

It'll be a fairly nice system when we go shareware with it
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 10:47
Awesome

Shame about he cutting it off after 3-5 mins, but i guess you have to do it...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 13:30
Sounds fine to me... The Blue plugin was good enough to charge for, I'm sure this will be... I'll look forward to it.

Currently working with...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 14:21
I have to say the original track demo was much better than the new demo, which seems to be a dark room with no gravity :/

Fishie says:
"Those who fail to prepare prepare to fail"
"Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the blind obdeniency of the fools"
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes David,

The current release is not much to look at. The real power lies in the functions used in that demo, and how the system will be expanded.

In any case, before we go shareware with it, a significant number of "eye candy" demos will be designed to show off what it can do.

The nature of the design, with the include file and the small block of constants at the top, allow us to update how the system runs internally and modify some top level things lightly without completely mangling everyone's code. Meaning we can make new releases and the developer doesn't have to worry about re-writing their program. Only small changes may be made to the developer functions used. Making updates and expansion rather painless.

Do look forward to it
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 17:52
I suppose thats not a bad idea....the only gripe is because I cant have what I need! Being 16 I cant pay for these things....thats the only problem. I really want DarkBASIC Pro and RobK's BLUE gadget plugin at the moment, but cant really just get them when I want....I have to mither my dad for his VISA, which I hate doing.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 06:33 Edited at: 27th Oct 2003 06:42
Uh...why does the new demo freeze (no compile errors) when I change
load object "media/level1/level.x",level
to
load object "mylevel.3ds",level
?? That's the location of the .3ds level I made (which I was able to get to work with the first release of the dll), but the demo simply stops responding if I try to load that. It can still handle .3ds files, right?

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 06:42 Edited at: 27th Oct 2003 06:48
And there seems to be something jumpy with the collision if there's an object above you that's less than your height, for instance if you change
SetObjRadiusPRO( cam_obj, 2, 2, 2 )
to
SetObjRadiusPRO( cam_obj, 2, 8, 2 )
and climb onto the little triangle table, very weird things happen.

Still can't get the .3ds level to work...

AND is the only type of collision ellipsoid collision? What if there's a box in the level I want to be able to push??

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Greets QuothTheRaven,

Would it be at all possible to email me the 3ds file your having trouble with? It should work with all model formats. The only thing I could figure, off the top of my head, is that somehow the size of the memory block is not being handled properly. Which would be completely odd.

Please email it to: mdd@nuclearglory.com

Also, The problem your experiencing from the "tall ellipsoid" is something we did in fact now about, and we're fixing it for release 2.01, which will fix these little nuances.

I few other helpful developers have been sending in stuff demonstrating minor glitches, all to whom I am thankful for their help.

The reason your probably experiencing the ellipsoid problem is a result of the new "concave" collision fix applied to the deformation of an ellipsoid with collision against an edge of a polygon. All 3 are new features, and we found some of these issues when we made the release copy of the DLL v2.0 These are planned fixes for 2.01 (which will be free as well) We did not fix the problem right away because the linear structure of the code required us to rewrite the top level systems to make the fix. Which is what we're doing now.

"AND is the only type of collision ellipsoid collision? What if there's a box in the level I want to be able to push??"

You'll notice the block of constants at the top of the demo program. These seem unneeded at the current time, but the reason they are there is so that we can add additional shapes and collision responses. (IE. Response: Don't slide down slopes) etc...

So more is in the pipe, we're just not quite there yet.
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
@M00NSHiNE
If it's the payment type you're struggling with, we will be accepting PayPal and payments made through postal mail as well.

If you prefer a different payment type, we are willing to work something out. However, we cannot give it away, as that would be unfair to all who paid.

Hope we can help.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 21:22
sent

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I tested the model, here's what I found:

I found it hangs, just like you explained.

I could not load the 3DS model in DBPro at all. After changing the format to something DBPro could load and then turning on collision it worked well.

I'll email the rest of the details, the 3D file, and source to you.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2003 10:45
I thiunk you'd best use .x files QuothTheRaven, theres really no point wasting time with .3ds files as DBPro cant really handle them all that well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 17:26:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 17:26:59