Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DarkBasic text editor...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 15:05
I'm currently working on a text editor for darkbasic.
like darkedit.
But I have a problem...

I don't know how to make the program to be able to compile and check the syntax, or make Exe, or FinalExe, or Launch the program I've written..
The rest I can Figure out by my self(i think..)

Anyway..
It's written in DELPHI 6. So if anyone here knows Delphi, please reply! Oh! I don't know if I'm allowed to write this program.. perhaps the creators of DB gets angry!? I don't know.. anyway someone please reply to this.

I am (maybe) going to order dbpro!!!!
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 17:28
what you mean is that your making your own editor.

do be able to compile/execute and build exe you need to use the shellexec command. the rest you have to figure it out for yourself.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 18:04
or your own ide

a quick simple way of describing how it works (in dbc) is:
1. your ide saves the code file as *.tmp
2. your ide calls the compiler (command line style i think), telling the compiler what to do and where the code file is.
3. the compiler compiles the code and puts an .exe in the temp directory.

that wont be 100% accurate, someone else should hopefully come along and describe it properly, but thats basically how it works.

guy would be the perfect person to ask, but ofcourse he dissapeared off the face of the earth (is he back yet?) but there are alot of people making new dbpro ide's who may be able to help you.

syntax highlighting is a bitch in any language, and probably the second biggest part of the ide. open the db help file and find all the commands for that one.

TMB - under construction
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 18:26 Edited at: 16th Oct 2003 18:28
What you do is you have to learn Windows programming, since you're going to execute an independent application (the compiler). So, you don't just need to know object pascal (which is what Delphi runs on). You also need to know how to call Windows API functions, and how to adress them and retrieve valued from them. That's as far as running the compiler

As to your other points, making the syntax sensitivity is a matter of defining robust classes inside pascal code that handles this. It's not enough to rely on the RichEdit component in Delphi -- but you have to make a class that is derived from the richedit class and add functionality to it, for instance syntax sensitivity. As you learn Object Pascal you'll learn to make classes.

But that bit is complicated. As is function folding. As is intellisense.

I'm new to Object Pascal too, so what I said above is general to most object oriented languages.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 14:22
Ok.. I Have NO Clue what you are talking about so I think I'll Just Put the project in my pocket and take it out when I'm more Comfortable with Delphi. The Best PRogram I've Written In Delph is A Text Editor, and a Web browser, (I don't knof if it works 'cous I have not internett at home...)

I am (maybe) going to order dbpro!!!!
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 19:42
if you dont know delphi, buy them cheap £10/$15 books that explains the basics.

then that will give you a stepping stone to greater things.

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 22:17
well if i was you, i'd put priority on forking out about £10 a month for 56k at home

TMB - under construction
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 16:41:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 16:41:14