Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The Coos County Reaction

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2011 06:20 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 06:48
DEMO!!!

Have fun and tell me what you think!!!

Click here for demo:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/LKDmgS4W/The_Coos_County_Reaction.html

Problems with demo:

menu: settings/objectives doesn't work

animations wont always play causing fatal error that requires crtl alt del

I think that's the majors, have fun!!!

Controls:

W,A,S,D: Move left,right,forward,backward
P: Pause
R: Reload
1: Switch weapons
Space: Interact
Left mb: Shoot
Right mb: Aim

So I use to work at Arbys roast beef and I simply despised my job. In order to liven it up a little why not make a zombie game in my local Arbys! Eventually I want to make all of the supervisors zombie bosses and whatnot.

Storyline:

It is another typical day at your job, which is at a fastfood joint. Everything is going normal until you hear a scream outside. When you are sent outside by your girlfriend someone is lying on the ground dead and a vicious bloodthirsty person is staring at you. The zombie invasion has begun, and it is up to YOU to put a end to it before the problem becomes unstoppable.
The source of the infection stems from a nearby reasturant called "Taco Bueno." One day everyone that ate there gradually became sick and as they returned to home and work...the infection spread. It is up to the player to find clues to figure out how this is happening and how he can stop it. The player will discover that the arbys owner "where you work" was about to go bankrupt due to taco bueno taking all of its business. The owner decided to buy some food poisoning off of a shady dark figure "turns out to be a mad scientist" that he believes will give everyone food poisoning that will shut down the reasturant. The scientist's poison modifys people in various ways, each resulting in them dying and then being reanimated. Some will be normal hungry zombies, however others will retain some intelligence and may have "special" powers. It will eventually come down to the scientist being confronted by the player, and he then injects himself with a perfected strain of the virous that gives him immense power. Once the player defeats him and finds the serum he must administer it across town and save his girlfriend....the end

The fastfood zombie killer
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 20:17 Edited at: 12th May 2011 20:18
I think it's a very good start. I like the structure of the environment. I don't know how much you plan to upgrade the graphics later but this is effective in its simplicity, it's visually interesting. The movement seems smooth and the basic game mechanics (shooting, weapon change, death animation) are already working. FPS is actually not my cup of tea but this project looks promising. Oh, and the effect with the letters in the beginning is very nice.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 21:04
YAY! Another Oregonian!!

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2011 02:23
WOOHOOO FOR OREGON!

With the exception of the level all of my items have been from the dark matter collection. I actually just started learning how to use blender though, and I definently plan on doing a overhaul on the graphics. While I build my 3d modelling skills I can still work on the mechanics of the game.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 20:33
Updated video using FRAPS!
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 14:04
Bump for demo!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
The gameplay is for sure better than most of FPSC games. So cookies for that!!!

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2011 10:59
WOOHOOO! Did you actually play it? I still have some lil bugs to work out like whem you are near the office door. Any tips? Oh, does FPSC mean first person shooter creator? If so this is being programmed in dark basic pro
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2011 09:58
Updated demo so that people with keyboards can play. Tell me what you guys think!
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 09:14
My Bad. Here are the keys

1 : switch weapons
W A S D : Move
Left click : Shoot
Right click : Aim
P : Pause
Space : interact
Drillfoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 08:18
Dude, that is hilarious. I'm not much for fast food stuff, but I did work at Wendy's for a dang year, and know some of your frustrations. Back then if I could of made my bosses zombies and pew pew'd them, I would of! That is awesome though. I didn't play the game, or demo. But the video looks very good, and looks like a very smooth game honestly. Keep up the good work. I could truthfully see the whole Arby's feel to it while looking at the video.. Was darn hilarious.. Nice job.

rem allow user create game with one click
rem create graphics, sound, scripts, models, with one click
rem slap user in face if game choice is mmo
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2011 10:14
I can't wait until I can get more efficient with blender so I can actually make them bosses! Right now it's kind of bland with only one kind of zombie and no gun animations, but once I get the media it should be easy to change. Thanks for the kind words!

Fast Food Zombies
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 13:45
So I added my very first skybox a couple days ago!!! It wasn't until then that I realized just how empty it looked outside...
So currently I'm working on the highway leading to the store, a couple random buildings outside the level perimiter, as well as a lot of trees on the outside. I'm also adding a lot of shrubbery on the inside part. I think I'm gonna go ahead and spend the week on this, make my level look all pretty!!!! Or kinda normal at least...

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 17:56
Spent the last 10 or so hours working on a couple of touch ups and most importantly a reloading system for the weapons. The weapons don't have an animation, so it goes off a timer. I think it makes the game a lot better and the demo above is up to date. If you play let me know if you have any tips on how to make my trees look better. Thanks guys!

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2011 04:01 Edited at: 17th Aug 2011 04:07
Working on a burger box in blender that will sit on a shelf with a few of his buddies waiting to jump down and EAT you!!! I already have them enabled to jump off the shelf and chase the player. The only thing I have left to do is figure out how to unwrap it and texture it in the uv editor thing

[img][/img]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey! I played it and I rather liked it. Of course, the people looked a bit... odd, but it was actually pretty fun. I think you should probably position the mouse in the center of the screen immediately before you sync though (to keep from the crosshair jitters)

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 23:40
Thanks for the tip! Never thought about that. The characters are from the dark matter collection. I'm starting to learn blender so I can upgrade and make my own people/enemies.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I recognized the M40 from it because I've been using it as a placeholder for a while as well Forgot to say that I really liked the sounds (even if they were the same zombie death noise each time) The menu intro/menu (I forget which ) music was a bit quiet though. I turned up my volume a lot for it... then I click... and experience a full subwhoofer of evil laugh

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 00:15 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 00:33
Yah, I really need to get some more death audio, driving me nuts. I'll work on that volume to, lol.

I ended up positioning the mouse right before sync like you said, and didn't see a difference maybe it's moving to fast or something

Just a heads up there is a mp40 in the level to. Did you manage to get past the first wave?

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
You're probably locking the sync rate in then aren't you...hmmm. The mouse cursor operates separetely from the game(at least for these purposes) so what you could do is, instead of making your crosshair the cursor(which I hope is what you're doing, otherwise this won't help ) paste a sprite at the cursor's position before sync along with the repositioning it, that should work. of course, you could just paste it in the center of the screen all of the time, but that would overlap a bit with how the menu's done.
--Game Portion--
hide mouse
reposition it
paste sprite at position (which must be center of course)
sync
--Menu Portion--
do the exact same thing without the reposition

So just don't let the cursor do it's own thing really

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 21:58
I'll give it a try, but at work I was also wondering, do you think there is any chance that the curveangle command could be affecting the cursor?

Now that I think about it, couldn't I simply position a sprite exactly on the center of the screen and leave it there the whole game? Just hide it when aiming down the sights.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now that I think about it, couldn't I simply position a sprite exactly on the center of the screen and leave it there the whole game? Just hide it when aiming down the sights."

Yup. I was thinking of the menu though aswell

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 08:28 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2011 14:29
since the mouse doesn't get redirected to the center at the menu i can hide the sprite and go back to showing the cursor

Works like a charm

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 11:24
Spent only a hour enabling headshots. Woohoo, easy and effective headshots.

collisionheight# = sc_getstaticcollisiony()

if collisionheight# > zombieorginy# + 290
Its a headshot!
endif

The 290 is where the head starts if you add it to zombieorginy#

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 10:01
I finally submitted to buying the zombie apocalypse zombie pack and have so far integrated all of the fast mob zombies...WOOT!!! Looks much better than the zombie from dark matter 1. I'll upload a new video soon. Next up is going to have to be a weapon model pack with some animations

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2011 05:56
Been doing a lot of work lately. I added a sneaking level with a multi floor building in which you have to grab the keys for each floor and get to the top. Zombies hide in the shadows and as they get closer to lights they become more lit. If you fire a weapon zombies will come from everywhere in that floor at a good attempt to kill the player. The player does have a knife to silently kill them though. Some zombies patrol to.

I also just bought the new ww2 weapon pack, so now there is a full set of animation data and.... hands!!!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
HANDS
(my caps lock is off )

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2011 06:57
Bump for major demo update guys! I'll try to update the pics soon to. Have fun!

Sinistar99_2
Years of Service
User Offline
coos county where?
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2011 06:52
Oregon

Sinistar99_2
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey that's where I used to live when I was a kid! Totally lived in Empire right by the beach by SWOCC! Love that place...
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 08:49
No way! lol, I live right next to Astros in Empire. If you have ever been to Arbys in Coos Bay, that is the basis for the first level and is quite accurate.

AmbulanceGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 20:47
Hey, I really like the game. If you need any kind of voice work moaning/death/dialogue I could provide both male and female if you're interested. Just email me with what you want, a script or I could just wing it, when you come to that point and I'll see what I can do.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 22:12
Ahahah, that's great. I actually just started creating dialogue yesterday. I got myself a new headset and downloaded Audacity. I never knew how hard or dorky it would feel to make audio for a zombie game. But yah, I could definitely use some help. Thanks for the offer.

Right now I'm focusing on the scripts So I can do away with the text screens. It'll take me a bit to get the info on a word document, I got to go to work in an hour. If you want to go ahead and start making some death and/or moaning that would be great.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 09:21
Trying to figure out how to make thin items like papers everywhere that are textured well...hmmm...

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2011 06:10
bump for new video posted on the first post. Let me know what you guys think May the criticism begin!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 06:34
I got as far as looking for the 3rd number. Then i got stuck "in" the ground but still able to move around, and i could walk through walls. Could do with a bit of polish but it is a pretty "complete" game otherwise. You still working on it?
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hope you are still working here, I always check in There's something about it that's just a little infectious(no pun intended)

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 05:50 Edited at: 15th Dec 2011 23:16
Agh!!! Finally got a couple days off. I've decided to devote my two days off to working on the glitches. Two primary ones.

First one: the 1.#QNANO error which turns the screen black and all position coordinates to 1.#Qnano

Second one: As Dr. Tank said, getting pushed halfway through the floor, becoming invincible, and killing everything until you run out of ammo.

@ Dr.Tank : My apologies on the third number. I don't know what I was thinking when I placed it, look around the outer walls and you'll find it. I'm gonna reposition it later. Thanks for the compliment, but it is no where near completion, In the demo there is actually a second level that I have been working on a lot lately.

@Swissolo: what's more infectious than fastfood zombies?

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 07:15 Edited at: 16th Dec 2011 07:07
I think everyone would be happy to know the halfway in floor/invincible glitch is fixed as of........NOW!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I don't want to speak to soon, but I believe I have fixed the 1.#QNANO Error as well. The only problem is that the error pops out at random, so I can't be certain. I've been testing on two computers for the last hour, and it still hasn't turned up yet, so I think we're good!

Edit: good few hours later and still no sign of the 1.#QNANO. Just tailored to the heights of each individual zombie type so the headshots areas are now correct on all of them.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 09:50
Alright, definitely will be putting op a updated version of the game soon. The update makes the game so much smoother and way more reliable. Also added videos for when the player gets an objective to do something he better understands it, and it looks cool

I got all the way to level 6 and then died....can't get past it. I'd love to know when I update the demo what wave you guys can get to

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 20:38
Nice one. I look forward to playing. Are there any checkpoints? I imagine it takes a long time to get all the way to level 6.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 20:55 Edited at: 21st Dec 2011 06:28
No, it's more like wave 6. Its all on the same level, and you never have to do more than 2 waves if you can find all of the objectives fast enough, then you go to the next level

Edit:
And later on I will be implementing save points. As of right now I'm having a blast with creating a bunch of audio files "Zombie sounds."
I can't BELIEVE Audacity is free, what a awesome tool

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 10:08
So I just got done making a few bloody images for the screen and implemented them into the game. As it goes right now, every time a zombie hits you, if you already have the previous less bloody picture "fades away" it will jump to the next one and reset the transparency. Do you think that is acceptable or would it be better to determine the next bloody picture "the one with more blood" transparency taking into account the last pictures transparency.

The kind of problem is when the blood almost completely disappears near the end it get twice as bloody as when they were first hit if they get hit again. hmmmm....kind of makes it seem a little unfair to the player even though it doesn't affect health

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2011 06:52
Just found out that hiding your sprites when deleting them can help in playing animations the 2nd gameplay

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 09:33
Working on a bear trap for zombies, pic attached!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 05:45
Nice! It's good to have "clever" ways for the player to kill enemies. Running away and shooting them in the head can get old. Another idea is explosive barrels.

It would be sweet if some types of enemies attacked others. This way you could lead one to another. Maybe some could be attracted by blood, or dead enemies of their own kind so if you wounded or killed one enemy, others would take time out from chasing you to eat it.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 03:19
I'm gonna have a roast beef that you can throw that will distract the hord for a bit

As for the enemies attacking other enemies, I've already dragged out the development of this game for to long and I think that might add a good bit to the development time, but will take it into consideration!!!

Now that I think about it it wouldn't be to hard to program, but would require more media

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2012 01:00
I thought I'd take a closer look at this seeing as we were chatting about on the Game Theory board.

First off, the screenies and video look great.

Unfortunately on my wheezing-geezer of a computer the demo ran very slowly, about 15fps, and then it froze after I spoke to the cashier. Seeing as no one else has reported any problems, my guess is that something was being loaded and my computer couldn't cope with it. I did, however, get to wander around the level and it's looking good. I can see it being a great space for running around in shooting zombies.

I think the dialogue needs a bit of jazzing up (based on the few lines I was able to read before it froze), it's functional and does the job but there's no character to it and I wouldn't want to read more than a few lines at a time. I love the art style, it reminded me of No More Heroes on the Wii which, if you didn't realise, is a compliment because I love that game.

I'll try the demo at work tomorrow and report back when I can.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2012 08:14 Edited at: 20th Jan 2012 13:26
Well you just wait a minute now, THAT DEMOS REALLY OLD!!!!

There's been a lot of performance updates, and the text is really just a place holder for now. What I'm focusing on right now is trying to get the main part of the game written, and then update as I go making it better and better.

Thanks for the compliments. In the old one there was a error, in which is the one you probably experienced the 1.#Qnano error. But now it's fixed!!!

I'll try to upload a new version tonight since you said you were going to try it tommorow, but I wasn't expecting to get a presentable demo together so soon considering ingacremo. Here goes nothing!!!

Edit: so it's a few hours later, and now I'm uploading the game, which is gonna take a while...so I'm going to sleep.

I'll give you guys the link in the morning.

Known issues:
lighting in the 2nd level "hospital" isn't correct yet

animation speeds can be incorrect due to recent changes

attack animation is about 1 frame off, but I'm going be totally changing that anyways

The menu....I haven't worked on that in months. P to pause, arrows to navigate, to exit out of menu press backspace until you get to the original pause menu then press p. Don't select frag from equipment.

ummm... I'm sure you'll find more

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:18:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:18:02