Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Easiest DOS game emulation on the planet. Very cool new killer app

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 14:21 Edited at: 17th Oct 2003 14:23
This is one of the most impressive things I have seen in a while.
What this does is simulate DOS and emulate DOS games. In full screen or in a window.

I have seen Bosh, but its hard to set up and you have to get MSDOS in a disk image and even then a ton of stuff will not work correctly. With DOSBOX it comes with its own MSDOS like command like shell that simulates MSDOS, but allows you to run any dos games that you have.

It goes on to simulate quite a bit. Sound Blaster emulation, Sound Blaster Pro Emulation, ADLIB emulation, mpu401 Emulation, Roland emulation, VESA VBE 2.0 emulation, Tandy 3-voice emulation, virtual modem to dial to TCP sockets, internal mouse driver emulation, MSCDEX CD emulation, and 386 protected mode support.

This also has run a ton of games that I have perfectly. Nice and works awesome on Windows XP.

[href]
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
[/href]

Download from here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/Dosbox0.60-win32-installer.exe?download

Dark Basic Pro - The Bedroom Coder's Language of choice for the 21st Century.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 16:26
Cool, I haven't played DOTT for a long time ... time to find that CD
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 19:42
Yes!!! transport tycoon XP here I come!!!

Thanks

Fishie says:
"Those who fail to prepare prepare to fail"
"Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the blind obdeniency of the fools"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 19:42
DOSbox dosen't seem that great to me. Elder Scrolls Arena works, at about 1/10th of the speed it runs at without DOSbox (that's with the virtual CPU optimized), and Daggerfall can't run at all because it's a protected mode program.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 01:16
Quote: "
DOSbox dosen't seem that great to me. Elder Scrolls Arena works, at about 1/10th of the speed it runs at without DOSbox (that's with the virtual CPU optimized), and Daggerfall can't run at all because it's a protected mode program.
"

Well I have not tried that game, but here is a hint, try version .60 which supports protected mode. You didn't read that DOSBOX now supports protected mode programs?

Also if your slow computer needs help, try these options..

#1) Try pressing CONTROL-F12 and your CPU Cycles will go up, get your computers CPU to go up to 100 percent power.

#2) Try using frameskip and setting it to 1 or higher and experiment.

The entire point to this is that most of these games will not work on Windows NT Operating systems. If you have Windows 98 and want to boot to DOS, thats fine, but with Windows NT 4.x, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Longhorn, etc... you can't run many DOS games today with full on sound and a lot will crash.

Try Prince of Persia 2 on Windows XP, you get to the first few screens and then it will crash.

DosBox plays it perfectly and its easy to set up since you don't have to install MSDOS to a disk image.

Remember version 58 doesn't have protected mode support, but version 60 does.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 01:59
That's right - for Win2K and XP you have to install all sorts of dodgy drivers for sound support ... but this has it built in

Still, after looking through that stuff, I might give ScummVM a try for DOTT
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 01:59 Edited at: 18th Oct 2003 02:04
Oh, it does? I'll have to give it another try .

Edit-- Noope, Daggerfall still dosen't work at all. From the news page: 'Added very basic 386 protected mode support'-- that's a far cry from protected mode being really supported by the utility.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 12:45
Well a lot of other games with protected mode work, check out the forum and there is a thread in there where people are testing version 60.

Its not perfect yet, but its getting there, probably by the next version then.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 16:32:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 16:32:53