Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Platform Versions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 02:47
I noticed the Android platform is now up to version 3.0 but I have also learned not every Android device is using the newest version of the platform.

Will it be possible to target an earlier version of a platform? For example, could I use AppGameKit to target Android 2.2 if that is the version of the Android Platform a specific device I want to deploy to is using?

Or is the intention to have apps that are developed for a particular platform be able to run on all versions of that platform? For example, would an Android app be fully functional and stable on all versions of the Android platform?

Jason
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
The Android smartphone platform is at 2.3.4 "Gingerbread". 3.0 is "Honeycomb" and is tablet-only. The next release "Ice Cream Sandwich" will merge both platforms.

Considering AppGameKit is based on a virtual machine, I would imagine that your code will run on whatever platform the VM will run on.

I don't think there will be any way to tell if AppGameKit will run on any newer version until it's attempted. I'm going to guess that there will be a minimum version (most likely 2.0-ish) and then it will "just work" until it breaks.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 18:03
I only have V2.1 on my phone.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2011 19:51
I preferred 2.1. They completely messed up 2.2 on the Samsung Captivate.

I've been wondering if the AppGameKit is going to contain commands to query the device and get information such as screen resolution, OS version, device type, etc.. but in the end I guess most commands like that would be a moot point. After all the idea of the AppGameKit is to prevent us from having to worry about such things.

Code, compile, deploy.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2011 11:23 Edited at: 5th Jun 2011 11:24
Quote: "I only have V2.1 on my phone"

If you want to test your code on different versions of Android I would highly recommend buying a phone that can be easily rooted so you can flash different roms to it for testing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

If you look at this chart from the Android Wikipedia page, you can see that more than 90% of people will be running some version of Android 2.0 or above.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 11:29
I am going to leave this here....

Android VM for Windows
http://www.bluestacks.com/

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 15:26:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 15:26:58