Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / EasyMatrix (Easy to use matrix editor)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, I'd like to announce my EasyMatrix project

I know there are a few matrix editors out there, but they seem to be quite complicated to use. Mine is designed to be super-simple.

This is still very much a work in progress, but if anyone fancies testing it at this stage, I'd welcome the feedback and ideas.

Some screenshots of the latest version (v0.4a at the time of writing)...

The bottom one there is to show the design/real world view. The real world view will look much better once textures are implemented

At the moment, the size of the matrix is set at 1000 x 1000 and the number of tiles are set at 20 x 20, but these are easily changed within the program. Obviously they will be user-set in the end product.

The only requirements are that the user has a mouse which has a clickable wheel (used for camera control).

Basically, you can click anywhere on a tile to raise or lower it, but if you click on a "node", it just raises or lowers that individual node. This makes for a fully editable matrix. I haven't included detailed instructions because it really is so simple that they are not needed. LMB = raise, RMB = lower.

I have included a demo with this post in the hope that I will get some feedback (positive or negative, it's all taken on board ) but there is no ability to save the matrix in this demo.

Thanks in advance for checking it out.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick update if anyone's interested...

http://petethesparky.blogspot.com/2011/06/near-usable-tool.html

(I generally blog about stuff I'm working on)
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks cool bud! Keep this up, would like to see the outcome of this!

One note: spheres representing nodes to click on are heavy on fps (loads of polys) instead use a plain or cube.

Cheers,

Leo

petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Leo,

I have manually limited the fps to 60 on this app, and even my dodgy old work laptop can handle 5000 x 5000 matrixes at that refresh rate, but I will include an option to use cubes or something too, just in case the PC is struggling.

Thanks for the feedback.
-Pete
petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 20:13 Edited at: 14th Jun 2011 20:24
I have updated the Editor and made a new demo version available.

CLICK HERE for v0.6a_demo

Stormwire
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice job. You really need to speed up the texturing. An apply all button or something. It is a nice and simple editor though so good job on that. Could be useful for creating small maps.
petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2011 22:11 Edited at: 20th Jun 2011 22:12
Thanks Stormwire.

In the version I am working on, the matrix size can be set at startup, and isn't limited to 1000 x 1000 (20x20).

I am also working on two routines.

1) "TexturePaint" which lets you use the selector rod as a paintbrush to apply textures without clicking on each tile.

2) "AutoTexture by height" (very early version) which allows you to choose a 'start' and 'end' texture, then autotexture each tile depending on the average height of its nodes. Still way off on this one though

Thanks again for the feedback.

Stormwire
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you let us paint while holding down the mouse button instead of clicking each time like the way it is now? I am going to keep an eye in this thread. I like the look of this project
petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah that's what I'm working on with the "TexturePaint" function. I don't want to overcomplicate it, the thing is called EasyMatrix after all, but that's a good idea and could be useful

Martin Donat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2011 22:31 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2011 08:45
ups, a little miss never mind. sorry guys.

the leader of Mouseking studio

Stormwire
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "GTC is a GTA style game.
Sandbox open city game with missions and side-missions."

LOL what?
petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a tiny little bit off-topic.

petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 03:14 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2011 13:20
I have updated the program a bit now

I took the advice of Red Eye and changed the node indicators to cubes rather than spheres.

The "Texture Paint" thing is working now - hold the spacebar to activate texturing mode, then mouseclick and drag the "paintbrush" around to texture multiple tiles without having to click each one.

I'm still working on a "Fill" function and am also thinking about writing a routine that will let the user drag a node/tile up and down rather than clicking it and having it raise/lower by a set increment. Although increments do have certain advantages (like if you were trying to make a flat platform, it would be a pain dragging all the tiles to try and get them the same height). I will have to think about this one.

The "Auto-texture by height" thing has took a back seat for now.

The Import/Export function has gone - the program automatically saves any changes that are made. (Though not in these Alpha demo versions).

I have also done away with a seperate 3D model for the selector rod. There really was no need.

Anyway, I have uploaded a more recent demo in case anyone wants to have a play. As usual, feedback and/or suggestions is/are appreciated.

EDIT : I updated my blog RIGHT HERE

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Stormwire
Years of Service
User Offline
Great will have a look when I get home
petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
I've made a short video of EasyMatrix in action

This is the final Alpha build, as soon as I've made a front end for the user-definable variables (Matrix size, number of tiles, minimum/maximum point heights etc) then it will be released as a fully functioning beta.

The video is on my youtube channel.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Thanks for the interest

Stormwire
Years of Service
User Offline
Click and drag FTW Looks great!
petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheers mister

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I was pointed toward your link from my thread. Can you show an example code on how to get the matrix to self shadow ? It looks like your doing that in your matrix program.

I have my matrix terrain, with water. But the terrain itself does not shadow back onto itself. Example, a mountain scene. There is no shadows. Only the objects are casting the shadows. So I am trying to see how your doing this. I saw no source code, only your EXE.

So could you explain how your doing this ? Or show an example source code to explain it ?

Thanks bro.

Here is my thread in case you wanted to read it. I have my full source there.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=189397&b=1

"Life is like a box of chocolates.. eat it before it melts."
petethesparky
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Jack, I have responded in your original thread

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:36:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:36:43