Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Getting ready for the App Game Kit

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 18:27
What do I need to do right now to get a jumpstart on producing and selling games for the iPad, in the Apple app store?

Assuming I've got an iPad and wireless router, what steps should I take to streamline the process?

Quote: "If you want to publish an iPhone app to the apple app store then you will need a Mac development environment and have signed up to app store developer agreement."

and from Apple

Quote: "You must have an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to develop Mac OS X and iOS apps for the App Store."

So, if I want to sell my apps in the Apple app store, I should buy a Mac?

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 21:39
If you are developing with AppGameKit in Tier 1, then you don't have to worry about either of these issues. TGC is writing the Virtual Machine that will run your byte code compiled app, and so you'll work with them to bundle it and get it into the app stores. (at least that's the impression I get from what I've read so far.)

If you are developing with AppGameKit in Tier 2, then you will need to be running Mac OS X, but there's no reason you can't do that on the PC you currently own. You just have to buy a copy of Snow Leopard and install it. Set it up for dual boot with Windows if you like.

NOTE: There may be some trial and error involved in getting it to install and run, but for the most part it's certainly possible. It took me about 4 tries to find the right combination of drivers to get it running on my system.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2011 22:01
KISTech - okay, thanks. There's no way I can afford to buy a Mac right now, so I'll look into getting Snow Leopard on my PC.

From looking at all the posts by TGC, it doesn't seem that getting Tier 1 apps into app stores is going to be too reliable. They say they "may" help with that.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
From I read is that Tier 1 apps COULD be published through TGC. If they like and want it. They are doing the same thing like Yoyogames are doing at the moment with GameMaker games. They are the publisher with Tier 1 apps.

And be careful with using a so called Hackintosh. If Apple finds out you are doing that, they can cancel your Apple Dev Subscription at will. I wouldn't risk it at all and get a cheap Mac Mini if I would be you.
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 03:39
I was under the impression that it would be easy to submit Tier 1 apps yourself to the ios store. TGC would publish your app if they liked it (and it was good enough) but if TGC did not publish your app (or if you simply wanted to self publish) you could easily publish your own Tier 1 apps in the ios store yourself.

Jason
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 05:24
Quote: "Tier 1 apps in the ios store yourself."

If Apple allow them.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 22:13 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 22:20
I loved Apple's stuff from the start, but their instance on being proprietary kept me from ever using their stuff.
Oh well.

Quote: "If Apple allow them."

It is amazing that Apple never learned from that mistake.
Why would you want to limit your market? (it makes no sense and never did)
No wonder it was so easy for Bill to dominate them, even though his software was inferior.
They may be hot now, but they will lose the phone wars for sure, because of that dumb approach.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2011 23:24
Uuh, KISTech, that's a bit misleading, OSX doesn't run on PCs, only on macs - it's possible to run it on some systems with a bit of hacking around but it won't just install.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 18:16
OSX runs fine on PCs. In fact at this point, Macs are PCs.

However you are probably right. While I did buy a copy of OSX for the license, that's not the disc I used to install it. So my statement was a bit misleading.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2011 20:04
hmm... I was pretty sure Apple put in measures to stop it running on non apple computers, otherwise there'd be no need for "Hackintoshes" for the OSX86 project

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2011 12:48
If you run it on a Virtual Machine like VMWare or VirtualBox I am sure Apple might say something, but then again they probably wouldn't know.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2011 16:57
I think I'll wait and see how the AppGameKit process actually works before I buy a Mac or a copy of the Mac OS. I get my iPad next week, so I'm sure I'll spend some time playing with that.

And then, between now and the AppGameKit release, I'm going to learn everything I can about Box2D.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:31:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:31:57