Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / thief 3

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
woooooo! i can't wait for thief three! woooooo!

I find your lack of faith.. distrubing - DARTH VADER

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 18:59 Edited at: 18th Oct 2003 19:03
woooooo!

btw, What's Theif 3?

Knowladge Belongs To The People...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 19:46
*throws tomatos*

EVERYONE should know what Thief 3 is! Who cares about HL2 or D3... phhh....

*cheers*

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 19:50 Edited at: 18th Oct 2003 19:51
i wonder when thier gonna make a "Thief: The modern age" with all the state of the art gadgets and stuff, etc

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 19:55
Phhhhh.... people should stop whingering about the Metal Age... it was clearly stated as the future in Thief 1, it's not like they went off track with it. But since SPOILERS the metal age was clearly stopped in Thief 2 /SPOILERS, I think Thief 3 is gonna be a bit more gothic-medieval-y. But really, the steampunk world was always one of the Thief series' more attractive aspects.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 20:25
Quote: "btw, What's Theif 3?"

hehee i like you ... Thief is really what you'd get if you tool Quake - Metal Gear Solid and gave it a twist of Movie Victorian times.

One of the most interesting titles i've had the chance to play, they still have the demo for Thief2 on Fileplanet.com worth checking out.

Though personally not looking forward to 3, i've seen it and it looks truely awesome - but without Looking Glass behind it, just not sure how well it can be done. Maybe it'll be better but cause its not the original team makes me a little skittish about it.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 20:40
Ah, well, don't hate me for saying this, but i hate Quake and Metal Gear Solid...

But, i'll have a look anyway

Knowledge Belongs To The People...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 21:22
I know Looking Glass was the power behind the Thief series, but I'll trust Warren Spector with just about anything-- the Ultima Underworld games and Deus Ex were really amazing.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 23:54
Deus Ex was amazing, I found it a little frustraiting at times though but I can't wait for the "exclusive" Deus Ex game comming out for PS2....

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 04:16
Deus Ex was the worst £35 i ever spent in my life ... first time i ever bought a title on hype and certainly will be the last time EVER!

well Quake is showing its age now and FPS isn't for everyone, considering that the main element in Thief probably not the best game because the controls can be frustrating - remember sitting there some nights cursing cause it wasn't a 3rd person game lol
trying to do Lara like acrobatics in FP is very frustrating to say the least but think that was part of its charm for me.
also i kinda loved to nick someones purse and then knock them out, drag them into a room and close the door hehee

and i'm still saying i don't trust sequals out of the hands of the developer ... Halo is one, although its a good game it just doesn't translate as it should've ... another is Unreal2, don't get me wrong a good game and a good engine - but it is TOTALLY different to the original. In my eyes the original was aweful (which is probably why i like Unreal2) but alot of fans loved the original and don't like 2.

Without the original masterminds behind these titles, they change and aren't what you expect from a sequal - no matter how good the team is or the previous games, they just don't capture what the original titles were like.
I have a feeling this is because the teams that are given these titles actually don't particularly like the originals, so they change it into something THEY like rather than what the fans would.

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
the story for thief 2 is better than thief 1 and has more twists and more intersting, the robots are poo because it's unfair opposition but that blood level is so cool and scary!

mog_squad
Years of Service
User Offline
um... so whats theif 3...

Is it like morrowind....

DONT @$#%#@$% MESS WITH ME! I'll kupo your @$$!
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 09:32
omg, where were you people back a few years ago when theif games were new. Ok its a fps right, you use gadgets and weapons to break into houses and steal jewels as well as discover world power hungry cults and bring them down. Truly one of the best line of games there is today. if you dont have a copy of theif or theif 2, i suggest you download the thievery mod for unreal tournament, pure class that game is. And i can't wait to play thief 3 cause it looks awesome and if it's going to be anything like its predecessors (even without looking glass) it will be a smash hit.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 12:58
I love the physics in the thief games, you get the impression that your really sneaking around - especially when you use the humanist approch - like blackjacking them to the back of the skull then dumping their not-yet-lifeless bodies in the river. I like baricading myself in too - but I've never sat and actually tried to play through it, probably should. Deus Ex sucks, let's never speak of it again.

The important thing about Thief/2/3 is that their different gameplay styles to 99% of FPS games out there, your using propper weaponary, deciding not which weapon will kill your enemy the quickest, but which weapon will kill him and let you drag him away without you being detected. Sometimes it's good to sit and hide for a while, or distract the guards with a precision launch of a goblet into a dark corner. You do feel like your free to play the game however you like, it's not for people who want to blast for 10 minutes before dinner, you have to really get into it to get anywhere.

When they do make a Thief game set in modern times, I hope the gameplay stays the same, like breaking into museums and avoiding laser alarms etc - but with all the same sorta freedom and physics.

Van-B

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 13:02
It sounds like a really cool game, i might have to get a demo then buy it

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 18:28
Yes, Thief's physics system is great... first quasi-realistic 3d engine as far as I'm concerned. I loved throwing crates around until they br0ked and barricading doors with barrels.

'Deus Ex sucks, let's never speak of it again.'

Deus Ex Deus Ex Deus Ex Deus Ex Deus Ex Deus Ex DEUX EX! There, that's how much I love it.

As for 'thief in modern times'-- isn't Hitman just that? I've never played it but I hear it's very similar.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 19:28
A little like Hitman, but in first person only, and less killing, more stealing. I'd love it if they studied the movie 'Leon', that's one of the coolest movies ever made, the techniques, the relatively basic surroundings etc etc. In fact they could borrow from a lot of movies for ideas, like Oceans 11 style disguises, MI style hardware, etc etc.

Van-B

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 03:09
System Shock 2 and Neocron ... Although SS2 was the better of the 3, they're testiment that realtime FPSRPG is just not a real genre, just one of those horrible frakenstein experiements with just as dire results.

-- -- --

you know 3Kings and Oceans11 are two of the clooney movies i actually liked - both were top notch ... and for Oceans11 to not only have one of the hollywood bad actors hunks but 2 of them, its bloody surprising i liked it so much.

You've just gotta love that chineese guy though the way he vaults up hehee so cool
If they did make a modern day Thief game, would definately have to be similar to that - but Thief3 is still a Darkage Knights kind of affair. You guys not seen the screenshots on gamespy or gamespot? they look bloody fantastic.
but graphics aren't everything, and a major gripe i had with Thief2 was you needed a powerhouse to run it at a decent speed.

came out in '97 fastest comp i had was my P2-266 w/Savage4 Pro which aside from the Voodoo3 2000 and GeForce that both appeared that year was the fastest card on the market. Game still seemed to struggle on the lowest settings.
looked good for the time though.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 03:37

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 04:56
Too bad it dosen't use soft shadows.

SS2 was brilliant.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 05:01
FRY THAT IS AWESOME, AWESOME TO THE MAX!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 05:47
mouse look at the second picture again
though it is still using nvidia shadows (fx only) in those shots, i'm not sure what the standard shadows look like.
and these are old shots, around 4-5months old if i remember - there are more current shots ... i remember a town shot which just looked breathtaking.

Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 07:12 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2003 07:12
Quote: "SS2 was brilliant."

I'll agree with you there. Out of curiosity, have you heard of the High Quality Model Mod being developed for it? I beleive it's called System Shock 2: Rebirth. Havn't looked at it recently and I lost the link, or else I'd point you to where it is.

As to Theif 3, I'll admit I'm worried about the fact that Looking Glass isn't behind it. I still can't beleive they went bankrupt. They made some of the best games I've ever played, they should have been rolling in money! Pity.

Usermlsra - Causing Havoc with a Smile
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 07:34
Google 'System Shock Rebirth' and it should turn up. I've installed it and it's excellent. The game really needed it. A similar one is being made for Morrowind too... remodelling jobs seem to be rather popular.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
thanx for those screenshots!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2003 03:55
I was just playing Thief earlier today. My favorite game. Second favorite was Deus Ex, which is why I have no problem with them doing the development. I own both Thief 1 and 2, not Gold, and Deus Ex, which I've beaten almost every possible way I can think of. I am your Deus Ex God!
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i own thief 1 and 2 but i didn't think it was worth buying gold, what's so special about it anyway?

Syntax Terror Studios - syntaxterror.topcities.com
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 20:02
I think personally Thief 2 is the best gameplay-wise thief game ever....and I don't think Ion Storm will make a game which really has that sneak feel to it....I would have looked forward to thief 3 much more if LGS had been the ones making it...Btw for those who don't know, the thievery UT mod is out and the Circle Of Stone and Shadow expansion(unofficial) is being released in chapters.Not sure about the other expansion though...

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 03:30
They did produce Deus Ex, which did require some stealth. It was a great game, and an excellant storyline and plot. They're the only company I'm comfortable with with doing Thief 3, other than LGS of course.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 04:55
I'd hardly call what Deus Ex had sneak'em up style.

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 17:52:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 17:52:27