Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Are C++ libraries fully compiled?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2011 14:24
Hi. As a bit of a C++ novice, I have a query about libraries. I was wondering whether libraries are fully compiled or just compiled to some kind of standard bytecode for later compilation with a project. The reason I ask this is because I was wondering how I could compile my plugin so that it could be used with both DGDK and AppGameKit Tier 2 when it comes out (at the moment, it only supports DBP). If libraries are fully compiled, this presumably means that I would need to compile separate libraries for each platform you might want to use AppGameKit on where as if it is some kind of bytecode, I could presumably simply distribute the library for use with all AppGameKit Tier 2 and DGDK projects.

Thanks for any advice on this.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2011 19:52
C++ is usually compiled to machine code, and to a specific library format, so yes, you'd need to compile it once for each platform.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2011 22:50
Thanks, I thought that might be the case but it was worth a try

I'll think about how I might deal with this. In some ways, it might be easiest for me just to release the source in a nice cpp file so people can just include and use it in whatever they're working on. I can't say I have a clue how likely the code is to work with other compilers though... I don't think I've used any VC++ specialities but who knows. Anyhow thanks again, very useful.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:22:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:22:48